EU may strip Myanmar (Burma) of tra

Subject: EU may strip Myanmar (Burma) of trade perks

EU may strip Myanmar(Burma) of trade perks
Asahi Evening News
Wednesday, February 19, 1997.
(Reuters)
Brussels- The European Union may decide as early as Monday
to withdraw special trading privileges from Myanmar's (Burma's)
agricultural products because of growing unease over its human
rights record, diplomatic sources said on Tuesday.
	They said EU foreign ministers meeting in Brussels next
week will discuss a European Commission proposal made on Tuesday
to strip Myanmar of Generalised System of Preferences(GSP)trade
benefits on agricultural products.
	The Commission said in a statement it would ask the
foreign ministers to revoke Myanmar's GSP following an investigation
into the country's labor practices. Foreign ministers were originally
due to discuss the subject on March 24, but diplomatic sources
said this was now likely to be brought forward.
	In London, Human Rights watch, which has long campaigned for
further isolation of Myanmar, said it welcomed the move.
	"We are extremely pleased with this move," said a spokewoman,
"but we are looking for still more leverage from the international
community."

Information Committee
Burma Youth Volunteer Association- Japan.