News on THE HINDU (New Delhi), 15/2

Subject: News on THE HINDU (New Delhi), 15/2/97

The Hindu (New Delhi)
15/2/97.

1). Myanmar, a sore-thumb in EU-Asean talks
2). Will the bride adapt?
3). Myanmarese offensive against Karen rebels

Myanmar, a sore-thumb in EU-Asean talks
V. Jayanth

Myanmar remained the sticking point in the two-day dialogue between the
(Association if South East Asian Nation) ASEAN and the European Union
(EU), that ended here today.

The two sides could not reconcile the differences, but agreed to continue
the discussions and carry on with the remaining agenda of a "broader and
deeper co-operation" between the two regions.

The EU was in no mood yet to think of reviving its earlier agreement on
co-operation with the Asean, and the two blocs decided to stick to the
now accepted practice of issuing a joint declaration instead.

If Asean  was content with having initiated a "free and candid" two hour
discussion on Myanmar and human rights to let the EU have its say, the
European Foreign Ministers were still concerned about the future of
Myanmar and also to a distinct possibility that it could form part of the
Asean  bloc for the next dialogue session to be held in two years.

The Deputy premier and Foreign Minister of the Netherlands, Mr. Hans Van
Mierlo. who is also the President of the EU Council of Foreign Ministers,
(old a concluding press conference that Myanmar was "more problematic for
us" than to the Asean.

Asked how the EU would feel to have Myanmar perhaps in the next dialogue
meeting, Mr. Mierlo said "I don't want to make it more difficult at this
stage. We have to think about it 11 we have to sit down and talk to a
country where there are such violations. We will respond to it when the
time comes. Perhaps, it must go to the General Council and the European
Parliament as well".

But Singapore's Foreign Minister, Prof. S. Jayakumar, who co-chaired the
meeting, said "Given that we have many differences in approaches to
Myanmar on the larger question of Human rights, there are also
commonalties along with the divergences. The heartening aspect of the
meeting is that we were able to have , good and candid discussion and we
did not let it overshadow the tone of the meeting. Both sides recognise
the differences. understand each other's concerns and agree to manage the
differences by continuing the discussions."

The EU adopted the practice of imposing conditions and prerequisites for
any country to enter the union. But Asean had no conditions pertaining to
the systems of Government and so on. There was homogeneity in the EU and
diversity in the Asean . he explained.

Prof. Jayakumar noted that it was not only the Ell which had or expressed
its concerns over Myanmar. "We do not express our views in Public. We do
what we want, quietly. We can tell our friends in Myanmar what we feel
about anything. That is the Asean way of doing things. It is not uncommon
in the EU to make public statement on issues."

Mr. Mierlo argued that the EU fought against violations of human rights,
wherever the occurred -- Africa or Asia. "Even if the in merits with
which we right are different, there are common responsibilities and
values are universal. We therefore told the Asean  please what you can
and influence the affairs in Myanmar. The way to do it is not for us to
dictate."

But the two co-chairmen made it clear Myanmar, East Timor or human rights
were the only issues that were discussed. though received the larger
attention of the media.

The joint declaration of the 22 Foreign Ministers -- 15 from the EU and
seven from Asean  - covered all areas of co-operation f economic and
development activities, to security and political dialogue.

Considering the threat perception the Europe Meeting (Asem process) could
overtake the EU-Asean  dialogue, the Foreign Minis reiterated "We
recognise the central role of Ministerial meeting as the policy formulas
and co-ordinating organ of the Asean-EU dialogue relations."

The declaration had only this to say on Myanmar: "We had an exchange of
views on Myanmar". But the Foreign Ministers noted "Where differences
exist, the spirit of dialogue and co-operation between the Asean  and the
EU should continue, as agreed in Karlsruhe."

On economic co-operation, the two sides viewed the burgeoning trade and
investment flows. The trade had risen to $ 80 billions in  1995, growing
four times since 1980. They greed to improve market access and proms face
flow of goods and services. The EU invited the Asean to invest in Europe
and also agreed initiate co-operation in Customs procedures.

The joint declaration also dealt with the ii clear weapons issue, the
Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty, the Biological and Toxic Weapon Convention
and called for their curly ratification. There was concern over the peace
processes both in Bosnia Herzegovina and in the (West Asia).

Will the bride adapt?

V. Jayanth

SINGAPORE. Feb. 14.
An Asean  Foreign Minister has compared the European Union's suggestions
to impose conditions for Myanmar's entry into the Southeast Asian
grouping, to negotiations for a pre-nuptial agreement.

Singapore's Foreign Minister and Co-Chairman for the Asean-EU dialogue,
Prof. S. Jayakumar, quoted his Asean  colleague as telling the European
counterparts yesterday "We marry first and expect the bride to adapt
herself. Once Myanmar joins Asean , the expectation is that it will be
influenced by her peers and so engage in dialogue with partners."

But the Foreign Minister of the Netherlands, which holds the presidency
of the EU, Mr. Hans van Mierlo, told reporters that for the European
Union "What is happening in Myanmar is totally unacceptable in terms of
the violation of human rights,"

"We differ on the instrument to tight with and also in cultures as well.
But we have made it clear to Asean to use its influence in the affairs of
Myanmar. We count on them to do it," Mr. Mierlo explained..

The Foreign Secretary of the Philippines, Mr. Domingo Siazon, told
reporters that the EU had even suggested that Myanmar's joining Asean
should be put off. But Asean Ministers made it clear that it was their
own decision.

Myanmarese offensive against Karen rebels

BANGKOK. Feb. 14.
After failing to repulse Government forces that outnumbered them three to
one, Karen insurgents burned down their jungle headquarters as righting
continued to rage in jungle hills of eastern Myanmar, a Karen officer
said on Thursday. "We didn't want to leave the Myanmarese anything," said
Col. Isaac. an officer in the Karen National Union (KNU), Like many
Karen, he uses only one name.

About 500 KNU troops had been struggling to hold Teakaplaw, the
headquarters of KNU president and military commander, Mr. Bo Mya, against
1,500 Myanmarese Government troops, Col. Isaac told the Associated Press
by telephone. Knowing they could not hold out against superior numbers,
they fell back rather than lose men, and torched the base early on Thursday.

"We have completely changed our tactics," he said "We are fighting a
hit-and-run guerrilla war now.

The 100 villagers who lived at Teakaplaw have joined the nearly 3,000
Karen who have fled to Thailand since recent fighting erupted.

The Government launched an offensive late on Tuesday against the last two
areas in Myanmar still controlled by the KNU, which has been fighting for
autonomy from Yangon on behalf of the Karen people since 1948.

Fighting at the KNU rebel base at Htikapler in eastern Myanmar continued
throughout the day, as pressure mounted on the only ethnic insurgency yet
to reach an accord with the military junta. A source close to the KNU
said 81 mm and 62 mm shells were fired at the base, but that the rebels
were still holding Htikapler.

"It could fall soon, if not today maybe tomorrow," commented an aid
worker at a camp a the border where dozens of disconsolate Karen families
were nervously waiting news of the offensive taking place a few
kilometres away. Between, 200 and 300 Karens fled across the border on
Thursday morning joining hundreds of others who had escaped into Thailand
earlier in the week.

Col. Suwit Maenmuen, commander of Thailand's fourth regiment border task
force in Tak some 3,000 Karen refugees had
arrived Tuesday after clashes began between the KNU and SLORC troops.

The State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) is the official name
for Myanmarese military junta. Another 2,000 already in On one of three
refugee camps in Umphang district of Task province, some 420 km
north-west of here, fled to a nearby village as they feared Myanmarese
troops were close by, an aid worker said.

"People at Nawpahtohwah camp heard that SLORC troops were one hour
walking distance away from the camp," the aid worker said. AP & AFP