Total Eyes Pater's Burma Stake

                     Copyright 1997 Agence France Presse
                              Agence France Presse

                          February  12, 1997 12:15 GMT

SECTION: Financial pages

HEADLINE: Total eyes partner's  Burma  stake despite US-led boycott

DATELINE: PARIS, Feb 12

   The chief of the French oil group Total is ready to move into  Burma  if its
American partner leaves under international pressure, according to an interview
published Wednesday in the Financial Times.

   "If they did have to leave, we could easily find other companies from Asia to
replace them," he told the British newspaper, saying Total might even buy out
its partner, Unocal, itself.
   The position of Total's president, Thierry Desmarest, is sure to get the
attention of Washington, which is trying to place  Burma  under an international
boycott because of perceived human rights violations.

   "I don't feel there is any benefit in isolating countries," Desmarest said,
defending his position. "We don't feel we're behaving in a wrong way."

   Unocal (Union oil of California) and Total are the two main foreign investors
in  Burma.

   Unocal executives recently assured Total they intend to maintain their
Burmese operation but several other companies, including PepsiCo, Carlsberg and
Heineken have already bowed to political pressure and left.

   The Burmese opposition accuses Total and Unocal of supporting  Burma's
military regime and damaging the environment.

   There is speculation that remaining defiant to Washington foreign policy may
cost Total its United States operations but, as Desmarest points out, these are
relatively unprofitable.
Asked about Total's investment in other politically sensitive countries such
as Iran, Iraq and Libya, Desmarest acknowledged that "we're a bit more relaxed
about such countries than some of our competitors."

   "It's just that the Lord put the reserves in places that are a bit hot on
political grounds."

   Oil operations of the partners in  Burma  centre around the Badamyar and SEIN
fields. A pipe is currently being built to transport offshore gas deposits to
the Thai border.