EU, Asean agree on declaration to b

Subject: EU, Asean agree on declaration to boost ties

Note Passing: I used to post "Burma Headline News" in Burma Net 1 under the
banner of DBSO, but I was frankely warned by one of my American friends, who
suggested that the news which I posted would be over lorded in the personal
mail box so that I halted  posting the news about Burma that were covered
various online news services all over the world. However, I later learnt
that some important news were needed to cover here in the net for
researchers and among other news readers; therefore, I myself decided that I
will post some necessary news in here. But I want to find out what majority
thought about it.

To collect my beloved news readers' opinions, please drop me a line if you
have time so that I am able to be continued to post very relevant news here
regarding Burma.

With many thanks.

Nyi Nyi Lwin

Here the one:

 Copyright 1997 New Straits Times Press (Malaysia) Berhad
                               New Straits Times

                               February  14, 1997

HEADLINE: EU, Asean agree on declaration to boost ties

BYLINE: By Ravi Nambiar; Ramlan Said

DATELINE: Singapore

   SINGAPORE, Thurs. - The joint ministerial declaration on Asean-European Union
relations, to be issued here today, will be a forward-looking policy statement
to boost ties on a broad front.  Foreign Minister Datuk Abdullah Ahmad Badawi
said Asean and the EU had agreed on the wording of the Joint Declaration, which
he described as positive.  According to conference sources, the 15-nation
European Union and the seven-member Association of South-East Asian Nations

will adopt an action plan to boost political, economic, cultural and security
ties.  "There are no difficulties any more," Abdullah said, referring to earlier
attempts by certain EU countries to mar the talks by dragging in "extraneous
issues".  The controversial points concerned  Myanmar  and East Timor, with EU
countries exerting pressure to include them in the agenda when the foreign
ministers began their official talks yesterday.  But Asean has steadfastly
refused to relent, insisting that these were matters for informal bilateral
meetings and not for official discussion.  This principle of non-interference in
the internal affairs of Indonesia and  Myanmar  seemed to have paid off because
the Joint Declaration, it is understood, will make no mention of East Timor and
only a passing reference to  Myanmar.   It is learnt the one-liner in the
document simply says "we (Asean-EU) will have an exchange of views on
 Myanmar" .  Abdullah, briefing Malaysian journalists yesterday, said he did not
see any problem in the full acceptance of the Joint Declaration by Asean and the
EU during the 12th ministerial meeting here which began yesterday.  The view was
also shared by Singapore Foreign Minister Prof S. Jayakumar who said both sides
had "very productive and substantive" discussions on  Myanmar.   Officials said
the plenary sessions saw a productive and wide-ranging exchange of views on a
number of issues.  "The discussions took place in an atmosphere of mutual
confidence and understanding," said a Malaysian official, adding that Asean and
the EU wanted to create a substantive and mutually beneficial relationship.  He
said the thrust of the Joint Declaration would focus on the need to forge

close ties in all fields.  This will cover the commitment to reinvigorate and
intensify their longstanding dialogue and cooperation on issues of peace and
security, the environment and sustainable development, trade and investment, and
human rights.  The Joint Declaration, it is learnt, will also spell out the need
for Asean and the EU to strive for deeper political dialogue through frank
discussions of "sensitive issues" of common interests.  "This will be done on
the basis of equality and mutual respect for each other's sovereignty," said
observers here.  The Joint Declaration is also expected to emphasise Asean-EU's
commitment to the promotion and respect for human rights and fundamental
freedoms.  On economic co-operation, both groupings had identified the potential
for stronger links as Asean and the EU are among the most dynamic economic
regions in the world today.  The EU is the world's largest trading entity while
Asean is one of the fastest growing regions in the world.  The economic
potential is also evident from the increase in trade between the two regions.
Last year, trade between EU and Asean reached US$86 billion (RM215 billion) -
nearly four times that in 1990.  With the close of the 12th Asean-EU Ministerial
Meeting here today, officials expect an action-oriented Joint Declaration
spelling out the need for both sides to consolidate, deepen and diversify
relations in a dynamic manner and work towards productive ties in the 21st
century.
GRAPHIC: Picture - Opening speech ... Singapore Deputy Prime Minister Lee Hsien
Loong giving his address during the opening ceremony of the 15-nation European
Union and seven-member South-East Asian Nations ministerial meeting yesterday.