Are Labatt Ice Beer and Stella Arto

Subject: Are Labatt Ice Beer and Stella Artois still on the Burma  market ?

Dear Burmanet readers,

The Belgian brewery group Interbrew on 14 october 1996 released this statement:

'Interbrew, the Belgian brewery group, affirms neither to have investements,
neither to have plans to do so in Burma (Myanmar). There is no direct sale
of Interbrewproducts to this country. Interbrew has no plans at all to set
up any selling organization or distribution network. Interbrew exports her
products to 80 countries, mostly by means of independent distributors.
So Interbrew has demanded her independent distributors in the region to stop
all possible sales to Burma. By this way Interbrew takes her responsibility
as a good international citizen'.

This was the result of a common action by the Canadian Friends of Burma, the
Burma Centre Netherlands and KWIA. We had found out the Belgian brewery
group Interbrew exported Labatt Ice Beer to Burma.

Yesterday however I meet two tourists who travelled in Burma last november.
They told me  one of the Interbrew beers, Stella Artois, was in the market
everywhere around. Not only the beer was easy to get, there was also a large
promotion campaign for the Belgian beer. Also Labatt Ice Beer was sold.

I can imagine in november there still was a Labatt and Stella stock. I also
understand it is possible Labatt and Stella are smuggled in. I can not
understand however someone is campaigning for a company that is withdrawing
 ... What does Interbrew mean by 'demanding her independent distributors to
stop all possible sales to Burma' ?

I would like to ask all people who have been in Burma recently, to let me
know whether or not Labatt Ice Beer and Stella Artois are available and
whether both beers are promoted.

Thank you

Kris Deckers
-----
KWIA Steungroep Inheemse Volkeren - KWIA Supportgroup for Indigenous peoples
Birma Werkgroep - Burma Group
Breughelstraat 31-33, 2018 Antwerpen, BELGIUM
Tel. 32-3-2188488     32-3-2377615
Fax  32-3-2304540
KWIA@xxxxxx