BurmaNet News January 16, 1997

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: January 16, 1997
Issue #612

Noted in Passing:

		The sham National Convention being held by the Slorc, 			presently, is for
the perpetuation of military dictatorship.
		- Mae Tha Raw Hta Agreement
		(ETHNIC NATIONALITIES SEMINAR: PRESS 				STATEMENT)

HEADLINES:
==========
ETHNIC NATIONALITIES SEMINAR: PRESS STATEMENT
WSJ: FLIGHT OF THE FALCON (EDITORIAL)
THE DAILY TELEGRAPH: PRESSURE GROUPS SQUEEZE COMPANIES
REUTER: KODAK TO END PACT WITH BURMA DISTRIBUTOR
THE NATION: JAPAN URGES BURMA
DHAKA BANGLADESH RADIO NETWORK: RETURN OF REFUGEES
NATION: CHAVALIT PLANS TO VISIT BURMA
BANGKOK POST: RANGOON MINISTER ON TRIP TO BOOST TIES
XINHUA: YANGON POPULATION EXCEEDS 5 MILLION
SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST: : SCHOOLDAYS END EARLY
NIHON KEIZAI SHIMBUN: AUTOMOBILE REPAIR PLANT
ANNOUNCEMENT: AMERICAN UNIVERSITY TO HONOR ASSK
SEATTLE CAMPAIGN FOR FREE BURMA: BONUS MILES AT HEROIN
SATIRE: NIGHT IN OLD RANGOON
---------------

ETHNIC NATIONALITIES SEMINAR: PRESS STATEMENT
January 15, 1997

[ BurmaNet Editor?s Note:  Over 100 representatives from several ethnic
minority political organizations met in Karen State for a week to discuss
the current political situation and how they can better work together.  The
ethnic groups had been working together under the DAB (Democratic Alliance
of Burma), an umbrella organization whose members originally agreed not to
sign separate ceasefires.  After the Kachin Independence Organization signed
a ceasefire with the SLORC in 1993, the DAB declined in power.  The other
multi-ethnic opposition organization, the National Democratic Front, only
includes armed resistance groups which hold their own territories.  Although
this group has also shrunk in membership, the Ethnic Nationalities Seminar
resolved to try to strengthen the NDF.

This seminar was significant because both non-ceasefire and ceasefire groups
attended and signed the statement below.  In particular, the groups rejected
the National Convention as a ploy by the SLORC to retain power.  Previously,
Wa representatives had been attending the National Convention.  The
organizations also declared their support for Aung San Suu Kyi and the NLD,
asked ASEAN to postpone Burma?s entry into the grouping, and stated that
they oppose foreign investment at this time.

                      ETHNIC NATIONALITIES SEMINAR
		   (MAE THA RAW HTA)

               ETHNIC NATIONALITIES SEMINAR STATEMENT

We, the ethnic nationalities of the Union of Burma held a seminar from
January 7 to 14, 1997 at Mae Tha Raw Hta in the base area of the Karen
National Union (KNU). The seminar was attended by 111 delegates and
observers from the ethnic nationality organizations mentioned below.

1. Karenni National Progressive Party (KNPP)
2. Pa-O People's Liberation Organization (PPLO)
3. Wa National Organization (WNO)
4. United Wa State Party (UWSP)
5. Palaung State Liberation Front (PSLF)
6. Kachin Independence Organization (KI0)
7. All-Arakan Students and Youths Council (AASYC)
8. Lahu Democratic Front (LDF)
9. New Mon State Party (NMSP)
10. Arakan Liberation Party (ALP)
11. Kayan New Land Party (KNLP)
12. Shan United Revolutionary Army (SURA)
13. Chin National Front (CNF)
14. Shan Democratic Union (SDU)
15. Karen National Union (KNU)
16. Special guests of various nationalities.

At the seminar we, the participants, earnestly discussed and
deliberated upon the important issues, namely, internal peace,
democracy, rights or national equality and self-determination for
the ethnic nationalities and establishment of a genuine federal
union, which are the principle political problems.

In the deliberation, we determined that since the time of
independence in 1948, successive regimes in power have violated
the right to "equality of all citizens irrespective of race," as
provided for in Panglong Agreement. Armed subjugation by
successive regimes, practising racial chauvinism, for the last 49
years, has been a disastrous experience of suffering,
unprecedented in history, for the ethnic nationalities. Brutal
suppression of the ethnic nationalities by armed might is still continuing.

The Union of Burma still lacks peace and stability. The refusal
of the Slorc to resolve the questions of the rights of the
nationalities and democratic freedom, which are the two principle
political problems, has raised tensions and worsened the
situation in the country, day by day. Accordingly, we unanimously
adopted and affirmed the resolutions as follows.

1. We are resolved to carry out democratic changes in accordance
with the will of the people of Burma and to establish a genuine
federal union based on the equality and self-determination of
nationalities, in accordance with the will of the ethnic nationalities.

2. We demand the dissolution of the Slorc's sham National
Convention and the holding of a Tri-partite Dialogue comprised of
representatives of the Slorc, Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and pro-
democracy forces, and the ethnic nationalities, for the
resolution of political problems by political means.

3. We demand that the Slorc cease its military operations and
oppression against the ethnic nationalities and other resistance
organizations, while efforts are being made to resolve the
principle political problems of the country by political means.

4. We demanded the postponement of the acceptance of Burma as a
member of Association of South-East Asian Nations (ASEAN) until
there is positive political change. We request that all foreign
investment be withdrawn from Burma and that there be no new
investment until this change occurs.

5. We are resolved to oppose the Slorc's sham programs of
narcotic eradication and cooperate with international narcotic
eradication agencies and organizations.

6. We ardently support the people's movement led by Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi for democracy and the dismantling of the military dictatorship.

7. We are resolved to strengthen the country-wide coalition body
of the ethnic nationalities, the National Democratic Front (NDF),
so as to make it strong on all sides and at the same time, to
raise the level of mutual understanding support and cooperation
between the ethnic nationalities and pro-democracy forces.

January 15, 1997

                        MAE THA RAW HTA AGREEMENT
                       ---------------------------

We leaders of Arakanese, Chin, Kachin, Karen, Karenni, Kayan,
Mon, Pa-O, Pelaung, Lahu, Shan and Wa ethnic nationalities,
representing the various organizations as well as the
nationalities, attended the seminar held from January 7 to 14,
1997 at Mae Tha Raw Hta in Kawthoolei.

We leaders of nationalities mentioned above after frank and
cordial discussions in depth, have agreed upon the following terms.

1. Agreement Relating to Political Aims

(a) To dismantle the military dictatorship and establish peace in the country;
(b) To practice the democratic political system;
(c) To achieve the rights of equality and self-determination for each and
every nationality;
(d) To establish a federal union.

2. Agreement Concerning the Slorc's National Convention

The sham National Convention being held by the Slorc, presently, is for the
perpetuation of military dictatorship. Since absolutely no rights will be
gained for the ethnic nationalities, we, the Ethnic Nationalities Seminar,
do not in any way recognize the Slorc's National Convention and agree to
oppose it.

3. Agreement Regarding Tri-partite Dialogue

We, the Ethnic Nationalities Seminar, accept the tri-partite dialogue agreed
to by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, and called for by the resolutions of the UN and
international organizations. The tri-partite dialogue must include three
forces, namely the force composed of the NDF, UNLD, PDF and other ethnic
nationalities, the pro-democracy force led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the
SLORC military clique.

4. Agreement Relating to Federal Union

We, the Ethnic Nationalities Seminar unanimously agree to
establish a genuine federal union composed of national states
having the full rights of national equality and self-determination.

5. Agreement Relating to Economic Policy

Regarding the economic policy, we, the Ethnic Nationalities Seminar,
agree to practice market economic system and invite foreign investments.

However as foreign investments, at present, are benefiting the Slorc
military dictatorship only and increasing its oppressive power, we strongly
object to them.

6. Agreement Relating to Narcotic Drugs

We, the Ethnic Nationalities Seminar, unanimously agree to
cooperate with international narcotic drug eradication
organizations for the eradication of the entire business of
narcotic drugs, including cultivation, production and trafficking.

7. Agreement Regarding Pro-democracy Forces

We, the Ethnic Nationalities Seminar, agree to raise the fight on
all sides in the fields of politics, diplomacy and people's
action for the dismantling of the Slorc military dictatorship.

In this struggle, we agree also to join hands with the pro-
democracy forces led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, and act unitedly
and simultaneously for the achievement of rights of the
nationalities as well as democratic rights.

Moreover, we acknowledge the National League for Democracy (NLD),
led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi as the winner of the 1990 general
election in accordance  with the true will of the people and
democratic process, we fully support all acts of opposition
against the Slorc, by it.

8. Agreement Relating to ASEAN

We, the Ethnic Nationalities Seminar, agree to send letters to
ASEAN requesting it to delay, indefinitely, acceptance of Burma
under the Slorc, as a member of the organization.

9. Agreement Relating to Alliance

We, the Ethnic Nationalities Seminar, agree unanimously to help
develop the National Democratic Front (NDF), the nation-wide
alliance body of the ethnic nationalities, into a politically
militarily and organizationally more solid entity.

10. Agreement on Reunion

We, the Ethnic Nationalities Seminar, agree to maintain and implement
the results of the seminar and to have a reunion at least once a year.

SIGNATORIES

1. GEN AUNG THAN LAY   (KARENNI NATIONAL PROGRESSIVE PARTY )
2. COL. KHUN OKKER       (PA-O PEOPLE LIBERATION ORGANISATION )
3. COL. MA HA SANN       (WA NATIONAL ORGANISATION )
4. COL. SAI PAO SING     (UNITED WA STATE PARTY )
5. MAR AIK PHONE         (PALAUNG STATE LIBERATION FRONT )
6. COL. ZAU SENG           (KACHIN INDEPENDENT ORGANISATION )
7. KHING MYAT KYAW     (ALL ARAKAN STUDENTS AND YOUTH 					CONGRESS)
8. B. KYA OO             (LAHU DEMOCRATIC FRONT )
9. NAI HAN THA           (NEW MON STATE PARTY )
10. KHINE SOE NAING AUNG (ARAKAN LIBERATION PARTY)
11. KHUN NA RUH          (KAYAN NEW LAND PARTY )
12. SAO OAT KESI         (SHAN UNITED REVOLUTIONARY ARMY )
13. SLAI SHWE KHA        (CHIN NATIONAL FRONT)
14. KHUN HOM             (SHAN DEMOCRATIC UNION)
15. GEN. SAW BO MYA      (KAREN NATIONAL UNION)
16. INDIVIDUAL DELEGATES

     I. CHAO TZANG YAWNGWE
     II. NAW LOUISA BENSON
     III. KHUN MARKO BAN

WSJ: FLIGHT OF THE FALCON (EDITORIAL)
January 13, 1997

After three less than fruitful years in Burma, Peregrine
Investment Holdings Ltd. will close its office there this month
and move on in search of greener pastures. Surely there is
something to be learned here about money and markets in
unattractive places.

Peregrine's retreat is not about concern over political rights,
or other such daintiness. Yet that only makes the flight from
Burma all the more noteworthy. Peregrine is ditching Burma
not because it's politically bad, but because the company
couldn't generate a "meaningful amount of income" there.

Peregrine went into Burma in 1994 in the expectation that the
government was serious about economic reform, including
privatization. It planned to offer its considerable expertise,
at a fair price, to state-owned operations undergoing
deconstruction. But the privatization never materialized,
Peregrine's official statement complains, nor did "the
anticipated establishment of a securities market."

In private, officials insist that the Burmese regime is much
less "ideological" than the government in Vietnam--where
Peregrine is also having problems. It is more willing to battle
Hanoi, however, on behalf of protecting more substantial
investment. In Burma, Peregrine's experts somehow
underestimated the degree of resistance to privatization that
would develop in ruling circles when the rich and powerful
faced the prospect of losing their lucrative grip on state owned enterprises.

Peregrine's other mistake in Burma has been more painful.
In October, a federal court in New York awarded the company
$4.1 million in a suit it brought in 1995 against one of its
former associates in a prawn-processing enterprise in Burma.
Peregrine charged that Miriam Marshall Segal, an American
businesswoman with ties to Burma's ruling generals,
conspired to wreck their joint venture as part of a plan to
compel Peregrine to sell its shares in Myanmar American
Fisheries, a company known as Mafco, back to her or to
companies friendly to her.

Yet the Segal saga is not the part of the story that should most
concern Peregrine or potential investors in places like Burma.
More significant is the behavior of Peregrine's joint venture
partner, the Burmese Ministry of Fisheries. Through all
Peregrine's travails, the ministry--and the regime so avidly
trawling for foreign cash these days--did not protect their
partner under the law or in any other way. When Ms. Segal
and her friends blocked company officials from entering
their own prawn plants in the summer of 1995, the Burmese
government effectively neutralized Peregrine by announcing
that its registration as legal owner was invalid.

The lesson for oppressive regimes is a simple one: You may
abuse your citizens and foreign investors will still line up at
your door. If you abuse the investors, they will leave. The
lesson for investors is a bit more subtle, but essentially the
same: If a country treats its own citizens badly, don't be
surprised if it treats you badly too. Sooner or later, in fact,
you can count on it. Just ask the cheerleaders for Vietnam
last year who are now booing from the sidelines.

THE DAILY TELEGRAPH: PRESSURE GROUPS SQUEEZE COMPANIES
January 13, 1997  (abridged)
By Richard Northedge

DIRECTORS fear that their decision-making will be increasingly affected by
pressure from governments and lobby groups. Many companies claim that they
have already had to cancel investment plans because of government-imposed
sanctions or campaigns by protest groups.

John Bray of the risk assessment group Control Risks said: "Pressure groups
already influence investment decisions in some companies and we believe that
more companies will be affected in the future, as demands for commercial
accountability increase."

The Carlsberg and Heineken brewers withdrew from Burma because of boycott
threats over that country's human rights. A survey of European businessmen
by Control Risks shows that 57percent expect the risks posed by pressure
groups to increase over the next five years with only 10percent expecting a
fall.

"In theory, businesses are keen to collaborate with pressure groups through
dialogue,"says the company's development director, Richard Fleming.

Mr Fleming said: "Some 90 percent of directors said they believed it was
possible to work together with pressure groups on the environment and 77
percent thought collaboration possible on labour standards.

"But on more sensitive issues such as corruption, 28percent of companies
were less comfortable that pressure groups would understand the realities of the
business."

He said that the survey showed that businessmen think the lobbyists
have little understanding of business in emerging markets and simplify or
distort facts. But business is also concerned that its decisions are being
influenced by government policies such as the United States' sanctions against
firms dealing with Cuba.

The survey for control risks found that a third of British businesses had
altered
investment decisions because of human rights issues but only a quarter of
French companies had done so and just 7 percent of German firms had. Nearly
half the British companies said that they were concerned by corruption-but
none of the French companies and only one German businessman said that they
were.

REUTER: KODAK TO END PACT WITH BURMA DISTRIBUTOR
January 13, 1997

NEW YORK, Jan 13 (Reuter) - Eastman Kodak Co said Monday it plans to end
its relationship with an independent distributor in Burma that it did  not
name.

Kodak spokesman Paul Allen said the company will discontinue the
relationship with the distributor in order to comply with mandates and  laws
passed by some U.S. municipalities that restrict direct trade with  Burma.

Kodak declined to comment on when the contract would be discontinued.
Allen said Kodak will continue to sell consumer products thoughout Asia
through various independent dealers.

THE NATION: JAPAN URGES BURMA
January 14, 1997

HASHIMOTO urged Burma's military rulers yesterday to pursue democratic
reforms and bluntly warned them to play by "international rules" if they
gain admission into Asean.

Hashimoto told a news conference on the last leg of a five-nation Asean tour
that Burma should not use the grouping's membership as a "smokerscreen" for
"autocratic rule".

Burma, Cambodia and Laos are expected to be a admitted by 2000 into Asean,
which have close and strengthening links with Japan.

Hashimoto said once Burma joins Asean, it "will be brought into the
international community and would be subjected to the international rules of
the game."

"That I've stated to the leaders I've met with," he said.

"At the same time, I stated that their (Burma's) assession to Asean should
not provide a smokerscreen for the autocratic rule back home."

Hashimoto said there was "a very tense situation" between Burma's ruling
Slorc and the opposition NLD led by Aung San Suu Kyi.

"And with the student movement's demonstrations, I must say that
uncertainties are only increasing. So including these uncertainties, we are
watching with much concern the developments in Myanmar," he said, using the
name given to the country by Slorc after it seized power in 1988.

"We shall maintain our dialogue with both Slorc... as well as NLD."

Hashimoto said Japan "cannot allow a setback... or a reversal of the trend
towards democratisation."

"We very much hope that the Myanmar govenrment will work towards
democratisation and make wise judgements to that end," the Japanese leader
added. (TN)

DHAKA BANGLADESH RADIO NETWORK: COMMENTARY ON RETURN OF REFUGEES  (abridged)
January 9, 1997
Commentary by Ahmed Fazal

The Myanmar [Burma] Government has agreed to take back all the 26,000 ethnic
Rohingyas still living in refugee camps in Bangladesh by the end of March
closing an agonizing chapter of human suffering which began with the influx
of tens of thousands of Myanmar citizens to bordering Bangladesh villages.

Dhaka displayed outmost patience despite the social and environmental
implications of sheltering such a huge number of refugees for a long time.

Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina's six-month-old government has stressed that
one of the cornerstones of its foreign policy will be the enhanced and
cooperative relations with all its close neighbors. Bangladesh has common
borders with
India and Myanmar and therefore congenial bilateral ties with New Delhi and
Yangon are considered crucial by Dhaka.

It is with a spirit of friendship and mutual understanding that Bangladesh
approached the Rohingya refugee issue. Dhaka wants closer economic and
cultural ties with Myanmar based on the already existing trade links with
Yangon. Recently, the two countries agreed to build up a sizable border
trade between them. There is scope for increasing bilateral trade and
establishing industries under joint investment. Economic ties can be boosted
with regular
contacts between Bangladesh and Myanmar business establishments. The
commercial organizations of the two countries should exchange frequent visits.

Bangladesh and Myanmar share some common culture and much benefit will
accrue to both of them through interactions of cultural troupes. As for
bilateral irritants, both countries have decided to hold meetings at
periodic intervals to remove [them through] bilateral negotiations. Such
meetings can be held
at different stages from official to political levels.

NATION: CHAVALIT PLANS TO VISIT BURMA
January 15, 1997

PRIME Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh said yesterday that he
planned to visit Burma at the end of next month or early March,
and reiterated that Thailand would stick to its policy of
"constructive engagement" with Burma's military junta despite
recent unrest in Rangoon.

Speaking to the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand at a
dinner party at the Oriental Hotel, the premier said his visit
will follow preliminary trips by senior government officials who
will study the latest developments in Burma.

He also said that he wanted to see Burma, Cambodia and Laos
become Asean members "as soon as possible regardless of political
disturbances in Burma".

Thailand's policy with regard to Burma will not change under his
administration which took power following November's general
elections, he said.

Chavalit said: "We understand they have problems but ... we won't
touch [Burma's] internal problems"

Chavilit said he preferred to conduct his foreign policy with
regard to Burma on a "friend-to-friend" basis.

BANGKOK POST: RANGOON MINISTER ON TRIP TO BOOST TIES
January 15, 1997
Achara Ashayagachat in Hanoi

Burmese Foreign Minister Ohn Gyaw is due in Hanoi today for talks
largely aimed at boosting economic  cooperation, according to the
Vietnamese foreign ministry.

He heads the Burmese delegation to the second meeting of the
countries' joint commission. Vietnam's team is led by Deputy
Minister of Planning and Investment Vo Hong Phuc.

Mr Ohn Gyaw will also have discussions with his counterpart
Nguyen Manh Cam. On Friday, after the meeting, he will meet
Communist Party secretary-general Do Muoi before returning to
Rangoon on Saturday.

Rangoon established diplomatic ties with Hanoi in May 1975, after
Vietnam was reunified. But relations have not deepened much
since, partly because of internal political and economic problems.

Cooperation has picked up since Vietnamese Prime Minister Vo Van
Kiet visited Rangoon in May 1994. A trade agreement was also signed.

In early 1995, Burma sent its first top-level delegation, led by
General Than Shwe, chairman of the ruling State Law and Order
Restoration Council to Vietnam. The 40 members included the
Slorc's first secretary Lieutenant-General Khin Nyunt.

The two countries agreed to fight the narcotics trade and to
cooperate in agriculture, forestry and tourism.

Since then senior officials have visited each other's country,
with Rangoon's mayor going to Hanoi in August 1995.

In October that year Interior Minister Bui Thien Ngo headed a
Vietnamese delegation to Burma and an air transport agreement was
signed although no direct air link has been scheduled.

Last February, Burmese Interior Minister Mya Thin paid his first
working visit to Hanoi and invited Vietnam's top three leaders to
Rangoon. The Vietnamese prime minister then pledged to support
Burma's admission to Asean.

Burma last year joined the Mekong River Commission, the regional
body for cooperation in water use among countries of the Lower Mekong Basin.

XINHUA: YANGON POPULATION EXCEEDS 5 MILLION
January 13, 1997

The population of Yangon city, capital of Myanmar, has exceeded 5 million in
35 townships, according to the latest official report of the city news.  The
municipal area of Yangon city, which had a population of 755,000 in 1958 and
4.2 million in 1992, has expanded to more than 609 square kilometers from
292 square kilometers before 1988.  The population of the whole country was
estimated at 44.74 million in the 1995-96 fiscal year ending last March with
a growth rate of 1.87 percent over 1994-95, according to official figures.

SOUTH CHINA MORNING POST: : SCHOOLDAYS END EARLY FOR CHEROOT-ROLLING FACTORY
GIRLS
January 15, 1997
by Greg Torode in Mandalay

Burma's booming cheroot-rolling industry is turning into a haven for young
girls whose families are too poor to keep them at school.

    Factory supervisors across central Burma say an increasing number of girls,
some as young as 10 years old, are asking for jobs.

    "In the countryside many families have nothing, so the child must help bring
the money in," one supervisor said.

    "We give them jobs when we can, but there are often too many applicants."

    Twelve-year-old Ung said she had been working part-time for two years, and
had now decided to leave school as she had learned to read and write.

    "It's much better at the factory because I can help my family. School costs
too much now," she said, speedily rolling cheroots as she spoke.

    "All the older women look after me. I feel safe at the factory."

    Virtually all of Burma's cigar-like cheroots are hand-rolled, and skilled
workers are highly sought after in small-town factories where they can earn up
to US$ 1.50 (HK$ 11.60) a day - well above the average rural wage.

    Smoking the mild, quick-burning cheroot remains popular in urban and rural
Burma, despite aggressive marketing by several American cigarette manufacturers.

    "Rolling requires a fine touch, discipline and speed, so it's good to get
the workers trained when they are still young," a factory owner said.

    "The current situation is good for us as the whole cheroot business is a lot
more competitive now," he said.

    "Everybody is marketing heavily and many small factories are scaling up
production. There is suddenly a drive for quality too."

    There are 12 steps in the art of making a cheroot - from rolling a dinner
-plate sized tobacco leaf around a stick, to finishing with an origami-like
sealing of the tip.

    Top rollers can produce 1,800 cheroots, complete with labels, during each
nine -hour shift.

NIHON KEIZAI SHIMBUN: AUTOMOBILE REPAIR PLANT IN MYANMAR FOR JAPAN
TRANS-TECHNO  (abridged)
January 10, 1997

Japan Trans-Techno (JTT), the overseas technological investment and
managerial consulting corporation, announced on the 9th that through the
formation of an enterprise association funded by leading firms and small- to
medium-sized businesses it would begin an automobile improvement and repair
business in Myanmar as early as September.  The scale of the investment is
150 to 200 million yen.  It has already secured an 8000 square meter site
within the Yangon city limits for a factory. It will begin construction as
early as this month.

 .**************************************************************

ANNOUNCEMENT: AMERICAN UNIVERSITY TO HONOR DAW AUNG SAN SUU KYI  AT WINTER
COMMENCEMENT
January 13, 1997
Contact:  Todd Sedmak, (202) 885-5950

Graduates and Friends to Hear Address Prepared by Burmese Nobel Laureate

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- American University will present an honorary doctor of
laws  degree in absentia to Nobel Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi of Burma, and
hear an  address prepared by her at winter commencement at 1 p.m. Sunday,
January 26, in Bender Arena on the AU campus.

American University President  Benjamin Ladner will preside, conferring the
honorary and all degrees at  commencement, at which more than 400 graduating
students will participate.

Because Aung San Suu Kyi is unable to leave Burma, the honorary degree will
be  accepted on her behalf by her husband, Dr. Michael Aris, senior research
fellow in Tibetan and Himalayan Studies at St. Antony?s College, Oxford
University.

American University will honor Aung San Suu Kyi because of her dedication to
the principles of democracy and commitment to human rights, which has earned
the respect of the citizens of Burma and people around the world.  The honorary
degree is the first to be awarded to her from any university in the United
States.

Burma has been under military rule since 1962.  In 1988, protests against the
military government prompted a popular uprising for democracy, and Aung San
Suu  Kyi joined the movement and became an effective public speaker and
advocate.   She was instrumental in establishing the National League for
Democracy (NLD),  and became the party?s general secretary.  In 1989, the
military government,  renamed the State Law and Order Restoration Council
(SLORC), placed Aung San  Suu Kyi under house arrest, and she was in
solitary confinement for six years, until July 1995.

A Buddhist, Aung San Suu Kyi practices non-violent civil disobedience.  Many
of her efforts focus on uniting the divided regions of  Burma to work
together.  She and her party favor a federal state in multi-ethnic Burma,
with protections for minority cultures, languages, and traditions.

Aung San Suu Kyi has been honored with numerous awards and recognized by the
international community for her personal courage and dedication to
non-violence, democracy, and human rights.  In addition to receiving the Nobel
Peace Prize in 1991, she has been awarded the European Parliament?s Sakharov
Prize for Freedom of Thought; India?s Jawarhalal Nehru Award; Norway?s
Thorolf Rafto Prize for Human Rights; and the W. Averill Harriman Democracy
Award by the National Democratic Institute.

The graduating students participating in commencement are from all six of
AU?s schools and colleges) College of Arts and Sciences; School of Public
Affairs;  School of International Service; School of Communication;  Kogod
College of  Business Administration; and Washington College of Law.  The
university?s  total enrollment includes more than 11,000 undergraduate and
graduate students  from all 50 states, the District of Columbia, and more
than 135 foreign nations.

News media are welcome to attend the ceremony.
For more information, contact
AU?s Office of Media Relations, (202) 885-5950.

SEATTLE CAMPAIGN FOR FREE BURMA: BONUS MILES AT HEROIN HOTEL
Jaunary 14, 1997
dohrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Seattle Campaign for a Free Burma
2319 N. 45th St., Suite 115  Seattle, WA 98103  Ph: (206) 784-5742
Fax:(206) 784-8150
P a r t   o f   t h e   F r e e   B u r m a   C o a l i t i o n

BONUS MILES AT "HEROIN HOTEL"
NORTHWEST PROMOTES HOTEL OWNED BY BURMESE DRUG LORDS

MINNEAPOLIS--JANUARY 14, 1997--Northwest Airlines is offering its frequent
fliers bonus miles if they stay in the Traders Hotel of Rangoon, according
to its December "WorldPerks Update."  The Christian Science Monitor said on
November 20 that the Traders Hotel is "a dark reminder of the power and
influence exercised by (Burma's) drug lords."

The Traders Hotel is co-owned by Steven Law and his father Lo Hsing Han.
Lo is a reputed heroin trafficker known as the "King of the Golden Triangle."
In August, Law was barred from the US by the State Department due to
suspicion of his involvement in the narcotics trade.  Burma produces more
opium and heroin than the rest of the world combined, and State Department
sources say 60% of the heroin on US streets comes from Burma.

"It's simple.  When the US Government says Steven Law is involved in
heroin trafficking, US companies shouldn't promote Steven Law's hotel"
says Dan Orzech of the US-based Free Burma Coalition.

Northwest doesn't deny that Law and Lo are co-owners of Traders Hotel
Rangoon.  It acknowledges reports that Law is barred from the US, but it has not
ended the promotion, according to a company spokesman.

Robert Gelbard, US Assistant Secretary of State for International
Narcotics Affairs wrote in the November 21 Far Eastern Economic Review that
Burma's military junta "has brazenly exploited drug-trafficking money" to
stay in power.  The drug lords are "buying real estate in Rangoon and
Mandalay, investing in Burma's economy, and openly courting military officials."

"That the Burmese economy is based on narco-dollars is quite obvious" says
Dr. Sein Win, head of the NCGUB, BurmaÕs democratic government in exile.
"Burmese citizens weren't even allowed to possess foreign currency for the
past 30 years.  Now all of a sudden, you find local investors coming up
with millions of dollars for projects like the Traders Hotel.  It does not
come as a surprise that these investors are either notorious drug
kingpins, like Lo Hsing Han and Khun Sa, or their close associates."

One US company, Wente Vineyards of California, was successfully targeted
by boycotters over connections to Steven Law.  Numerous other companies,
including Motorola, Amoco, Eddie Bauer, Heineken and Carlsberg have
withdrawn from Burma under consumer pressure, citing corruption, human
rights concerns and "business reasons."

"US interests are clear.  We need to fight the Burmese narco-dictatorship"
says Orzech.  "We don't want a boycott of Northwest Airlines, but we do
want them to do the right thing.  Don't promote the 'Heroin Hotel'" he warns.

Contact:  Larry Dohrs, Free Burma Coalition, 206-784-5742
Dr. Sein Win, National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma
202-393-7342
Vinita Koshal, Northwest Airlines, International WorldPerks Marketing
612-726-2111

SATIRE: NIGHT IN OLD RANGOON
January 1997
(penned by a foreign correspondent familiar with Burma)

"Night in Old Rangoon"
>From the upcoming Broadway musical "Bye-bye SLORC-LAND"
Music by Cole Porter
Lyrics by the New Light of Myanmar Editorial Team

I'll be the handle, you be the ax,
Together we'll chop SLORC to the max,
In old Rangoon....Tonight.

You do the running, I'll play the dog*
That way we'll take SLORC whole hog,
In wild Rangoon....Tonight.

We'll twin the people with their desire,
Boy, that's going to light SLORC's funeral pyre,
In hot Rangoon....Tonight.

Time to call the Lady, rouse the NLD,
Tonight we'll set all Burma free,
In bold Rangoon: