Media Release by Australian Ministe

Subject: Media Release by Australian Minister for Foreign Affairs.

				MEDIA RELEASE

			 MINISTER FOR FOREIGN AFFAIRS

			       ALEXANDER DOWNER

FA 138

BURMA: SUPPRESSION OF THE RIGHT TO PEACEFUL DEMONSTRATION

The SLORC again demonstrated its total disregard for human rights and
political freedoms by heavy-handedly breaking up a
peaceful gathering of students, who were demonstrating in Rangoon on 6-7
December for the right to form a union.

The Burmese authorities used water cannons and battons on the students
and temporarily detained over two hundred students.
There are reports of a number of injuries occurring. The authorities
claim that those detained were released on 7 December.
Our Embassy in Rangoon is still seeking confirmation of this.

This latest incident follows a similar one on 2-3 December in which the
authorities temporarily detained over six hundred
people. Five National League for Democracy (NLD) Youth members were later
detained, apparently for questioning in
relation to this demonstration, and four of these remain in detention.

On my instructions, our Embassy has already made strong representations
to the authorities about the detention of the NLD
Youth members, and we will continue to take every available opportunity
to underline our serious concern at the suppression
of the right to demonstrate peacefully.

I strongly condemn these oppressive actions by the SLORC, and I call on
the SLORC to allow the people of Burma to
engage in peaceful political action without fear of intimidation.

For further information, contact Peter Collins on 06 2777500 and 0411 414 695