Junta denies role in attack on Suu

Subject: Junta denies role in attack on Suu Kyi.

		Junta denies role in attack on Suu Kyi
		**************************************

	A senior Burmese government official said yesterday that attacks
on democracy leader Ms Aung San Suu Kyi last Saturday were acts of sabotage.

	Ms Suu Kyi's motorcade was attacked twice by a crowd. Uninjured,
she blamed the military government for orchestrating the attack.

	"The whole thing was carefully orchestrated by the authorities.
What kind of government is it that allows such hooliganism?" Ms Suu Kyi
said after the attacks.

	But the official suggested the government had nothing to gain
from such an attack.

	"We have launched an inquiry into the incident. We don't have an
answer yet," the official said. "Why would (the government) do if
everybody knows it would have a negative impact?"

	He said the attack came as the secretary-general of the
Association of South-East Asian Nations ended a week-long visit to assess
Burma's readiness to join the group.

	Yesterday Japan called on the government to "exercise
self-restraint" and the United States asked authorities to "punish those
responsible... and ensure the safety of Aung San Suu Kyi".

[Reuters, 12 November 1996].