Statement by President Clinton on B

Subject: Statement by President Clinton on Burma (09/03)

Attn: Free Burma Activists
Re: Statement by President Clinton on Burma

October 3, 1996

SUSPENSION OF ENTRY AS IMMIGRANTS AND NONIMMIGRANTS OF PERSONS
WHO FORMULATE OR IMPLEMENT POLICIES THAT ARE IMPEDING THE
TRANSITION TO DEMOCRACY IN BURMA OR WHO BENEFIT FROM SUCH
POLICIES

                          THE WHITE HOUSE

                   Office of the Press Secretary

  For Immediate Release                           October 3, 1996

        SUSPENSION OF ENTRY AS IMMIGRANTS AND NONIMMIGRANTS
        OF PERSONS WHO FORMULATE OR IMPLEMENT POLICIES THAT
         ARE IMPEDING THE TRANSITION TO DEMOCRACY IN BURMA
                 OR WHO BENEFIT FROM SUCH POLICIES

                           - - - - - - -

          BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

                           A PROCLAMATION

       The current regime in Burma continues to detain significant
  numbers of duly elected members of parliament, National League
  for Democracy activists, and other persons attempting to promote
  democratic change in Burma.  The regime has failed to enter
  into serious dialogue with the democratic opposition and
  representatives of the country's ethnic minorities, has failed
  to move toward achieving national reconciliation, and has failed
  to meet internationally recognized standards of human rights.

       In light of this continuing political repression, I have
  determined that it is in the interests of the United States to
  restrict the entrance into the United States as immigrants and
  nonimmigrants of certain Burmese nationals who formulate or
  implement policies that impede Burma's transition to democracy
  or who benefit from such policies, and the immediate families
  of such persons.

       NOW, THEREFORE, I, WILLIAM J. CLINTON, by the power
  vested in me as President by the Constitution and the laws
  of the United States of America, including sections 212(f)
  and 215 of the Immigration and Nationality Act of 1952, as
  amended (8 U.S.C. 1182(f), 1185), and section 301 of title 3,
  United States Code, hereby find that the unrestricted immigrant
  and nonimmigrant entry into the United States of persons
  described in section 1 of this proclamation would, except
  as provided for in section 2 or 3 of this proclamation, be
  detrimental to the interests of the United States.  I therefore,
  do proclaim that:

       Section 1.  The entry into the United States as immigrants
  and nonimmigrants of persons who formulate, implement, or
  benefit from policies that impede Burma's transition to
  democracy, and the immediate family members of such persons,
  is hereby suspended.

       Sec. 2.  Section 1 shall not apply with respect to any
  person otherwise covered by section 1 where the Secretary of
  State determines that the entry of such person would not be
  contrary to the interests of the United States.  Section 1
  shall not apply to officials assigned to Burmese missions in
  the United States or working-level support staff and visitors
  who support the work of Burmese missions in the United States.

       Sec. 3.  Persons covered by sections 1 and 2 shall be
  identified pursuant to procedures established by the Secretary
  of State, as authorized in section 6 below.

       Sec. 4.  Nothing in this proclamation shall be construed
  to derogate from United States Government obligations under
  applicable international agreements.

       Sec. 5.  This proclamation is effective immediately and
  shall remain in effect until such time as the Secretary of
  State determines that it is no longer necessary and should
  be terminated.

       Sec. 6.  The Secretary of State shall have responsibility
  to implement this proclamation pursuant to procedures the
  Secretary may establish.  The Secretary of State may subdelegate
  the authorities set forth herein as he deems necessary and
  appropriate to implement this proclamation.

       Sec. 7.  This proclamation may be repealed, in whole or in
  part, at such time as the Secretary of State determines that the
  Burmese regime has released National League for Democracy
  members currently being held for political offenses and other
  pro-democracy activists, enters into genuine dialogue with the
  democratic opposition, or makes significant progress toward
  improving the human rights situation in the country.

       IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this
  third day of October, in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred
  and ninety-six, and of the Independence of the United States of
  America the two hundred and twenty-first.

                                WILLIAM J. CLINTON

                               # # #