info on New Light of Myanmar

>Hi, I saw your message on the Myanmar homepage, and you suggested
>e-mailing for more information.  I am a graduate student at the
>University of Virginia and I am currently doing research on Burma.
>Specifically, I'm looking for documents with statements from SLORC
>itself.  Do you know where I can get the New Light of Myanmar (I realize
>is on the homepage but is apparently censored to cut out some of the
>propaganda) or other such documents. I really appreciate it.  Also,
>please send more info on the pro-democracy movement.  Thanks.
>
>Patricia Cain
>plc7c@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Patricia:

Here are some contacts for you:

Hugh MacDougall of the Center for East Asian Pacific Studies at the
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign publishes the Burma Press
Summary. It is a monthly summary of news and articles from the New Light of
Myanmar.

You can send subscriptions to:

ATTN: Burma Press Summary
Center for East Asian Pacific Studies
230 International Studies Building
910 South Fifth Street
Champaign, IL 61820
(217) 333-7273
(217) 244-5729 fax

An annual subscription costs US $50.  Checks should be made out to
"University of Illinois" with "Burma Press Summary" annotated on the check.

Burmanet News often contains key articles from the New Light of Myanmar.
Burmanet News is free and you can get on the subscription list by emailing
strider@xxxxxxxxxxx

To find out more about the Free Burma movement, contact Zar Ni of the Free
Burma Coalition (FBC) at zni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx The FBC is a coalition of
activists on about 100 college campuses worldwide and in other walks of life.

I hope you find this useful.  Since you're making a useful generic request,
I'm going to post my reply to the Burmanet list.

Simon Billenness
Franklin Research & Development