BurmaNet News:October 14, 1996..

----------------------------------BurmaNet-----------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: October 14, 1996
Issue #541

HEADLINES:
==========
INSIDE NEWS: TV MYANMAR
DAASK: LETTER TO BURMA # 45
REUTERS: ACCESS TO SUU KYI'S HOME STILL BARRED IN BURMA.
SPEECH: MESSAGE FROM KAREN REPRESENTATIVE
STATEMENT: CARRBORO PASSED BURMA CITY ORDINANCE
ANNOUCEMENT: DISNEY CAMPAIGN ALERT!!!

INSIDE NEWS: TV MYANMAR
October 13, 1996

Maung Aye, SLORC VC visited and inspected Tanessarim Division. He visited
Tavoy stadium where there will be the All Burma students sports festival in
December, his next destination was Tavoy harbour where there will be
deep-sea harbour construction, then to MaungMaGan beach.

S1 visited Prome. He visited a 200 bed hospital and Nurse Training
School. He visited the Construction of the bridge across the Irrawaddy river
and later attended a ceremony at a monestry where 4004 rice sacks and
700,000 kyats was donated by army commands and light infantry divisions to
monks in the Prome area

Mya Thin, the Interior Minister attended the Police Officers Refresher
Training Graduation ceremony at Phaung Gyi, Rangoon.

October 14, 1996

A new aircraft was purchased and flown from France by a Burmese pilot to
Rangoon.  It will be used to fly between RGN-KawThaung-Mergue-Pagan-Nyaung
Oo, starting from October 16, 1996.

Lt General Min Thein and Deputy Minister Thein Tun visited Heavy Industry
Corporation factories at ThaHtone, Karen state.

Than Shwe visited Kyeik Khauk pagoda at Syrium in Rangoon.

S1 visited Buddha's Tooth Pagoda in Rangoon.

Ministers visited state primary, middle and high schools in Dagon
satellite town in Rangoon.

S2 attended new street opening ceremonies in Rangoon. (These streets
were developed through contributed labour from local people.)

A Good-will Dinner was attended by a variety of religious leaders
and also attended by Deputy Minister of Religious Affairs.

DAASK: LETTER TO BURMA # 45
October 13, 1996 (Mainichi Daily News)

CORRUPTION WHITTLES AWAY AT STATE SERVICES:
"Pay as You Go"

Letter from Burma (No. 45) by Aung San Suu Kyi

On my release from house arrest last year, people gathered outside the
gates of my home to greet me and to demonstrate their support for the
movement for democracy.  It was the monsoon season and the crowds would
stand and wait in the dripping rain until I went out to speak to them.  This
continued day after day for more than a month; then I negotiated with our
supporters an arrangement which was more convenient for all concerned:  We
would meet regularly at four o'clock on Saturdays and Sundays.  Thus were
born the public rallies that have been taking place outside my house every
weekend.

A few months after the weekend rallies had become established as a regular
political feature, I invited the audience to write to me about matters they
would like me to discuss.  The response was immediate and enthusiastic.
Letters on a wide range of subjects, political, economic, social and
religious, were put into the mailbox we hung outside the gate for that
purpose.  A recurring theme in these letters, which continue to come in, is
the widespread corruption among civil servants, in particular in the sectors
of health and education.

In Burma, health care is ostensibly provided free of charge by the state.
But in recent years, the contributions expected from the community have
risen to such an extent that it is no longer possible to think of health
care as "free."  By "contributions" I do not mean just monetary donations
made by the public toward health care projects, although such donations are
not inconsiderable.  I am referring to the fact that government health care
facilities now provide merely services while patients have to provide almost
everything else: medicines, cotton wool, surgical spirits, bandages and even
equipment necessary for surgery.

Patients not only have to make their own arrangements for getting the
necessary medical supplies, they also have to bribe the hospital staff in
order to receive satisfactory service.

It is not just doctors and nurses who have to be sweetened with gifts;
hospital orderlies also have to be paid if one's time as an invalid is to be
passably comfortable.  Apparently it is a common practice for orderlies to
neglect their cleaning duties unless they are duly compensated.

And they are also said to give patients who have to be wheeled from one
part of the hospital to another a rough ride until a requisite sum of money
has changed hands.  Then there are the door keepers and other administrative
staff whose hands have to be greased to smooth the path of family members
who need to go in and out at all hours to delivery necessary supplies.

While nothing can excuse callousness in those who should be giving succor
to the ill and dying, it cannot be ignored that the deterioration in state
health care is largely the result of maladministration.  High motivation
cannot be expected of grossly underpaid staff working with poorly maintained
equipment and dilapidated, unhygienic surroundings.

In recent years, the emergence of a private sector has made health care at
expensive clinics and nursing homes available to those who are well off.
There are indications that among those who cannot afford private health
care, that is to say, the large majority of the population, there is an
increasing tendency to rely on folk or traditional medicine rather than
place themselves at the mercy of the state health care system.

Even more than letters about the unsavory conditions in our hospitals, I
receive letters about the disgraceful state of our education system.
Education, like health care, is ostensibly free in Burma but again, as with
health care, the contribution exacted from the community is getting higher
by the day.

Inadequate school funds are supplemented by "donations" collected for
various purposes: sports day, new buildings, school furniture,
teacher-parent association funds, religious festivals.  Underpaid teachers
supplement their incomes by giving tuition outside school hours.  The fees
range from 1,000 kyats to 10,000 kyats for each pupil, depending on the
grade in which they are studying and the number of subjects in which they
are coached.  The poor quality of teaching in the school forces all parents
who can afford the fees to send their children to such tuition classes.

Examinations provide teachers as well as employees of the education
department with opportunities for lucrative business.  Examination
questions, advance information on grades achieved and the marking up of low
grades can all be obtained for price.

There was a time when civil servants in our country were seen as an elite
corps: well educated, well-trained and well-paid, capable of giving good
service to the community.  Now they are generally regarded with fear and
revulsion, or with pity.  State employees who have not become part of the
syndrome of daily corruption, either from a matter of principle or from lack
of opportunity, are unable to maintain a standard of living appropriate to
their functions.  They are the nouveau poor of Burma.

(This article is one of yearlong series of letters.  The Japanese translation
appears in the Mainichi Shimbun the same day, or the previous day in some
areas.)

REUTERS: ACCESS TO SUU KYI'S HOME STILL BARRED IN BURMA.
October 13, 1996

RANGOON, Oct 13 (Reuter) - For a second successive day, police on Sunday
barred access to Burmese opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi's residence to
prevent any public gatherings around her home, witnesses said.

Checkpoints were set up early on Saturday to bar access to University Avenue
in Rangoon along which the democracy leader's lakeside house is located.
During Saturday police at the checkpoints turned away several hundred people
who had come to see if Suu Kyi would be holding her traditional weekend
public gatherings from the gates of her house, witnesses said.

About 100 people were also removed from one of the checkpoints late on
Saturday by police vehicles and taken off by bus, they added. A relative of
one of those taken away from the area told Reuters on Sunday his family
member was freed after questioning.

Police and government officials were not available for comment on whether
there were any new detentions in this latest move against Suu Kyi by the
ruling State Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC). Suu Kyi herself was
not available for comment as the telephone to her house appeared to be cut.

On Saturday, a government official said the road had been closed to prevent
Suu Kyi from holding weekend public gatherings which the ruling military
government feared could be used as an excuse by some people to create
disturbances.

The SLORC has declared Suu Kyi's weekend public meetings illegal
The official said he did not know when the checkpoints would be removed but
residents in the area believed they would go on Monday.
Access was also barred because Suu Kyi had planned to hold a meeting of some
party officials of her National League for Democracy (NLD) at her home early
on Saturday, the official said.

The SLORC last cut off the road to to Suu Kyi's house from September 26 to
October 8 to stop her holding a planned NLD party congress from September 27-29.

At the time, the SLORC also arrested 573 NLD party activists in a major
crackdown but later released all of them in stages.

SPEECH: MESSAGE FROM KAREN REPRESENTATIVE
October 11, 1996

The following is a brief speech delivered by P'doh Thu Yeh at UC Berkeley
campus on October 8, 1996 at Free Burma Fast press conference.  As Karen
representative, he is currently here in the US to help launch litigation action
against UNOCAL.

To,
All the American Student Activists:

Thank you very much.  I am a Karen representative from the Karen National
Union Mergui/Tavoy distirict, best known as the UNOCAL pipe line project
area. On behalf of the Karen people I would like to express our deepest
sincere and heart felt thanks for all your efforts in bringing about
democracy in Burma.

Without all of us working together hand in hand, democracy in Burma can
never be achieved.  Your help and support to advance the struggle and to help
liberate the oppressed people from the brutal military regime of Burma will
never be forgetten by the Karens or the entire people of Burma.

Since I've been to this country the situation has deterioated, the dry
season is upon us and the military operation has resume.  In the city they have
arrested more than 800 democracy activists including many NLD members.
Meantime the area where I came from is experiencing massive influx of
refugee.  Just within the past month there are more than 10,000 new refugees
and the story of whole village being massacred and burned are common.

The latest report which I have received has disturbed me greatly.  The
report of 200 innocent villagers being killed just in the past 3 weeks.  I
don't understand!!  As you all know we are in the midst of negotiating peace
with the SLORC.  How can they talk about peace and unity when innocent
people are still being killed.

I want to assure you that your contribution and efforts which you have
shown is greatly appreciated and will not be forgotten.

Thank you.

Saw Thu Yeh
Karen National Union, Mergui/Tavoy District
KAWTHOOLEI

STATEMENT: CARRBORO PASSED BURMA CITY ORDINANCE
October 13, 1996

 For Immediate Release: