LETTER TO THE U.N.GENERAL ASSEMBLY

Subject: LETTER TO THE U.N.GENERAL ASSEMBLY (3/10/96)

/* Written Tue 8 Oct 6:00am 1996 by drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -------------------" Letter to the UNGA 1996 "-------------------- */
LETTER TO THE PRESIDENT OF THE U.N. GENERAL ASSEMBLY
Dr U Ne Oo
48/2 Ayliffes Road
St Marys SA 5042
Australia

October 3, 1996.

The President
United Nations General Assembly
U.N. Secretariat
United Nations New York NY 10017
United States of America.

Dear Mr President

Re: Situation of Burma's refugees and displaced people

I am a Burmese national presently residing in Adelaide, Australia.
Together with this appeal letter, I submit the report regarding with
current situation of displaced people of Burma, "Towards Political
Solution to the Burma's Refugee Problem", to the a ttention of Mr
President and United Nations General Assembly.\\

 As has been noted in the report, present situation of human rights in
Myanmar is threatening the peace and stability of people of Myanmar and,
consequently, the region of Southeast Asia.  Currently, there have been
95,000 refugees and 60 0,000 displaced people within Thailand. There are
also 50,000 Burma-Muslim minority refugees living in camps in Bangladesh
since 1992, with 10,000 more recently arrived to the border area.  I
therefore call upon you and U.N. General Assembly to create th e safety
zones in Myanmar for refugees/displaced persons. I also request U.N.
General Assembly to authorize to send a peace-keeping mission to
Myanmar.\\

Because of government's practice of forced relocation of local population,
there is growing threat of further outflows of displaced people within and
across international border. Furthermore, the uprooted villagers within
Myanmar are repor ted to be facing shortage of food, medicine and the lack
of shelter. I call upon you to send U.N. Special Rapporteur for Myanmar,
Mr Rajsoomer Lallah, to these relocated sites to investigate the
situation. I also request that the President and United Nati ons General
Assembly give U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees a necessary mandate to
protect and assist the internally displaced people in Burma.\\

I also call your attention to the recent arrest of the members of National
League for Democracy.  The authorities have arrested 559 members of NLD
party in order to prevent them from holding a meeting on 27-29 September
1996.  I call upon the U.N. General Assembly to denounce such unlawful act
and to request the military authorities to release all those detained
immediately.

Finally, I thank you for your kind attention to Burma matters.

Yours respectfully and sincerely,
Sd. U Ne Oo.
/* Endreport */