Can I use my Mac now ?

Can I use my Mac now since Apple has pulled out of burma ?
Or should I keep a hammer handy start smashing the Mac when Apple goes back
to do business with the SLORC again ?
(Why not ? Some congressmen did similar thing when Toshiba sold some
sensitive equipment to the Soviet Union some years ago. Well, after Toshiba
lobbied with you know what those Congressmen sold their hammers. The people
who bought those hammers resold them to Pentagon )
Let's be honest. Pepsi,Apple,etc. pulled out of Burma because the amount of
sales generated was not worth the potential negative image.
It has NOTHING to do with human right issuses !
Burma is not important enough on their agenda.
Did any american firms pull out from countries like China,Indonesia,some
Latin
American,middle Eastern nations ?
did any city or state government threaten to sanction any company doing
business in those countries ?
But politicians like to grab opportunities to show their "human right
conscience" because it is free advertisement to wine votes from their
contituents.
Jesse Helemes,who adamantly opposed establishing diplomatic relationship with
Vietnam,put up the biggest smile when hosting the mayor of Hanoi or
Ho-Chi-Ming city when the Vietnamese delagation visited Carolina to
 negotiate  the purchase of tobacco products. (Vietnam hass one of the
biggest tobacco consumptions in Asia)

Where was the POW,human right conscience when he shook hand with the
Vietnamese ?

A few years ago i read about the president (or chancellor) of Harvard
personally went to the airport to welcome the son of Chinese leader Deng
Xioa-ping who came to study at Harvard.

Where was the human right conscience when he shook hand with the junior Deng
?

Where was the human right conscience when Clinton Admin renewed the MFN
status to China ?
Clinton put up a show by firing some missiles on Iraqi radar sites in the
South while the Kurtish problem was in the North.
It's election year,pal. He needs attention and  more importantly votes .
Massachusetts State government put up a show while some " human right
activists"
hailed " yeah,good job,well done. Bravo " (Mass is a Democratic
stronghold,you know that ?)

The point here is  "It is a game of politics".
The point here is Mass State government's action accomplish NOTHING to make
Burma more democratic.

The latest issue of The Economist published an article "doublethink in
Myanmar" ridiculing the SLORC's inexperience in PR   matters . Well, it may
be correct. But is
 the Bristish really concern about democracy and human rights ?

Why the British does not allow IRA to talk in public ?
Why the British criticized U.S. for allowing Jerry Adam entry into the U.S. ?
Where is the British human right conscience when it does not recognize the 5
million H.K. residents as British subjects  (H.K. residents have no right to
seattle permanently in the U.K. ) even though  H.K. has been under British
rule for nearly 100 years.

Pal, it is a game of politics.

Who are the losers in Pepsi,Apple,etc  pull out ? The ordinary Burmese people
!!!
They fare no better regardless of which side wins the political game.
They are just the dispensible pawns in the game of political chess.
they are just like helpless children  caught in the middle of a war between
the inflexible  SLORC and the hypocritical Western powers (supposedly on
behalf of the opportunistic NLD. ASSK is just a theoratical sentimentalist)

Franklin salesperson may have personal reasons to celebrate. I don't.
I have something to MOURN about the pull-out of Apple from Burma.
The continued suffering  of the ordinary Burmese people.

Valkyriely

n a message dated 96-10-06 08:04:17 EDT, you write:

<< Subj:	Re: Come Celebrate Apple's Withdrawal from Burma!