Visa Restrictions on Burma

THE WHITE HOUSE

OFFICE OF THE PRESS SECRETARY

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE			OCTOBER 3, 1996

STATEMENT BY THE PRESS SECRETARY

Visa Restrictions on Burma

	The President today signed a Proclamation suspending the entry
into the United States of persons formulating, implementing or benefitting
from policies that are impeding the transition to democracy in Burma, and
their immediate family members.

	The Proclamation reflects the strong concerns of both the
Administrations and the Congress about ongoing repression by the State Law
and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) in Burma, in flagrant defiance of
international norms, the SLORC has disregarded both the human rights and
the will of the people of Burma.

	Most recently, the authorities have arrested or detained hundreds
of members of the National League for Democracy (NLD) and activists
nationwide, who had planned to attend an NLD Conference in Rangoon last
weekend.  We deplore these actions, and call on the SLORC to release,
immediately and unconditionally, all of the NLD members and other
democratic activists.  We also urge the SLORC to enter into a dialogue
about the political future of the country with democratic opposition
leaders and leaders of the ethnic minorities.  We believe this is
essential to political reconciliation in Burma.

	We are keeping the situation under review while consulting with
friends and allies.  We will continue our efforts to encourage human
rights and democratization in Burma.

END