REPORT ON COMMUNICATION (26/8/96)

/* Written 21 Sep 6:00am 1996 by drunoo@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* -------------" Report on Communication (26/8/96) "--------------- */

LETTER TO THE THAI PRIME MINISTER
*********************************
Dr U Ne Oo
48/2 Ayliffes Road
St Marys SA 5042
Australia

August 26, 1996.

Mr Banharn Silpa-archa
Prime Minister
Government House
Thanon Nakhon Pathon
Bangkok 10300
Thailand

Dear Prime Minister

I firstly would like to thank Prime Minister and the Royal Thai Government
for allowing our displaced people from Burma to work legally in Thailand
and, also, continuing to provide refuge to Burmese refugees -- especially
our ethnic minorities. I also thank Prime Minister for your letter to
Burmese military leaders in June-1996 in urging them to peacefully solve
political problems.

Enclosed with this letter is my communication to the UN Secretary-General
on 26 February 1996 and the related materials. In this connection, we are
continuing to work towards a peaceful solution of the political conflicts
and to bring an end to the civil war in Burma. Our people within the
democracy movement are mindful that Burma situation needs a smooth
transition process which maintains regional stability.

Regarding with the situation of human rights in Burma, we have been urging
the United Nations Security Council to make appropriate measures so that
speedy improvement of the situation can be made. This will help to solve
Burma's refugees and displaced people problems. Since Thailand is the close
neighbour to Burma, we are much aware that Thailand has the legitimate
concerns to maintain stability in Burma and also to see an end to the
refugee problems in Burma. Enclosed information is our assurance that we
will continue to seek peaceful solution to all problems in Burma. More
importantly, in case of Thailand feels some urgency to see the Burma's
refugee and displaced problems to be resolved, please kindly note that
there are avenues already been available.

In closing, I thank the Prime Minister for your kind attention to this
matter.

Yours respectfully and sincerely
Sd. U Ne Oo.

/* Endreport */