Sample Letter to President Clinton

SAMPLE LETTER TO PRESIDENT CLINTON ON BURMA SANCTIONS

September 5, 1996

1. Why write President Clinton now?
2. Where to send your letters
3. Sample letter to President Clinton

1. Why write President Clinton now?

President Clinton could impose a broad range econmic sanctions on Burma at
any time. But so far, the Administration has just issued ritual
condemnations of the growing crackdown in Burma without taking effective action.

Currently, the Administration is not receiving letters in support of
economic sanctions on Burma. Let's see if we can change that...

2. Where to send your letters

President William Clinton
The White House
Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20500
(202) 456-1414

For extra impact, please send copies of your letter to:

Secretary Warren Christopher
Secretary of State
Department of State
C Street, NW
Washington, DC 20520
(202) 647-4000

National Security Advisor Anthony Lake
National Security Council
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20500
(202) 456-9481

Your U.S. Senators and U.S. Representative

Call the Congressional Switchboard toll-free at: (800) 872-3524

So that we can better gauge the response to this appeal, send a copy of your
letter to the democratic Burmese government-in-exile:

National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma
815 15th Street, Suite 910
Washington, DC 20005
(202) 393-7342
(202) 393-7343 fax
ncgub@xxxxxxxxxxx

3. Sample Letter to President Clinton

[Please adapt this letter as much you can. Individualized letters read much
better than obvious form letters!]

date

President William Clinton
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20510

Dear President Clinton:

I am writing to request that you impose economic sanctions on Burma.

Over the past few years, I have followed events in Burma with increasing
interest and concern.  I deeply admire Nobel Peace Laureate Aung San Suu Kyi
and her efforts to restore democracy in Burma.

[Include a personal paragraph about yourself and why you are interested in
Burma.]

To put pressure on the military junta to open a dialogue with the democracy
movement, Aung San Suu Kyi has asked that other countries impose economic
sanctions on Burma. Aung San Suu Kyi has pointed out that such investment
enriches the military junta while providing few if any benefits for the
Burmese people.  While other countries, particularly in Europe, have moved
towards a policy of imposing economic sanctions on Burma, the United States
can and should play a leadership role in this growing movement.

In recent weeks, the Burmese military junta has arrested 30 supporters of
the democracy movement.  News reports indicate that the junta may well
launch a further crackdown, perhaps even re-arresting Aung San Suu Kyi.

Taking inspiration from the campaign against apartheid, a growing number of
cities and states are boycotting companies that do business in Burma. Six
cities have already passed laws barring their purchasing agents from buying
goods or services from companies that do business in Burma.  In June,
Massachusetts became the first state to enact such a law. Similar
legislation is now pending in New York City and Takoma Park, Maryland.

I request that your Administration join the growing grassroots campaign for
economic sanctions on Burma.  Please write back and tell me what actions
your Administration will take.

Sincerely,

cc	Secretary of State Warren Christopher
	National Security Advisor Anthony Lake

Simon Billenness
Franklin Research & Development Corporation
711 Atlantic Avenue, Boston, MA 02111
(617) 423 6655 x225
(617) 482 6179 fax
simon_billenness@xxxxxxxxxxxx