49th Anniversary of Mon Revolutiona

Subject: 49th Anniversary of Mon Revolutionary Day

Statement On 49th Anniversary  of Mon Revolutionary Day

    To day , August 29, is the 49th anniversary of the Mon
Revolutionary Day, the special day marking the start of Mon revolution
against the Burmese government.    Mon Revolutionary Day is celebrated
both on the Thai-Burmese border and abroad wherever Mon people have
settled.

      In 1775, about 20 years before the United States achieved its
independence, the Burman troops invaded and seized our Mon homeland.
Although the Mon people retreated to Thailand and took refuge there
temporarily, they tried many time to drive the Burman aggressors back
to their home, hoping to regain our lost  kingdom from the Burmans.
In order to fight a patriotic war against the Burman aggressors, the
old Mon's  leaders, led by Nai Talabon and Nai Bayarchon, built many
fortress and guerrilla bases in Monland, which was then under
occupation by the Burmans.  At the time when the Mons were trying by
all means to liberate themselves from being enslaved by Burman
domination,  Burma was no exception.   In 1826 Burma became one of the
British colonies in Southeast Asia.

  	No sooner had the independence of Burma been declared to the world
in 1848, and due to the political oppression and the enforcement of
the newly-formed Burmese government, the Mon revolution was born.  The
youths and the Mon young monks were very active in mobilizing the Mon
people to take up arms against the ruling clique.  In order to lead
the Mon people by means of armed struggle,  the political organization
called " Mon People' Front"  led by Nai Aung Tun, was formed in the
jungle.  Using the tactics of guerrilla warfare, the Mon guerrillas
bravely and unitedly fought the Burmese army.  Both the Mons living in
Thailand as well as in Burma were aroused by the revolution.  The just
cause of the Mon national  liberation movement, based on shedding
blood and sweat, was started.   Through the historical event, the Mon
people have felt that the Mons as a defeated people suffered great
oppression and much discrimination under the rule of the chauvinistic
Burmese government.

	We, Monland Restoration Council, celebrate the significant event of
our Mon Revolutionary Day with full of honor and dignity, and we also
express our special thanks to those who attend and pay attention to
our commemoration.

Central Committee
Monland Restoration Council