"Burma as the new Bosnia" by Aionta

Subject: "Burma as the new Bosnia" by Aiontay

read several articles that I feel require some sort of response.  It all
be.....

anothe.........n particular are suddenly so
concerned since they have aided many of the ethnic insurgents over the
years.

Good reasoning....

a..........t that the Tatmadaw
has finally been able to win the military struggle against its opponents,
but it still has not been able to politically unify the country.
>>I'm not sure they've won the battle....

>>>In fact, I would argue that SLORC's continued control of the country
de...............ngration of the Union", SLORC has in fact
done everything possible to encourage the balkanization of the country.
I base this observation on policies that SLORC has embarked upon since
its illegal seizure of power.

>>>The most obvious example is the ceasefire agreements with the various
insurgent groups.  S....I have been told that in the
territory controlled by the Wa, the kyat is not accepted.  Instead people
use Chinese yuan or British colonial silver currency.

>> Speculation; prove it!

 >>>Allowing a foreign currency to replace the local curency is strange
behavior for a regime that is dedicated to preserving national unity.
 Furthermore, in
assigning territory to the insurgents, SLORC has created ethnic tensions.
SLORC has given the Kokang insurgents control of a Kachin-majority area
outside of Kokang. .....
Prove it!
 >>>In addition, SLORC has given territory in the Mong Hsu ruby mines to
different ceasefire groups.  While this might be viewed as a case of sharing
wealth, in actual practice it puts the former insurgents in economic conflict
and encourages them to think of their own economic interest rather than
national unity.

>>>SLORC also seems to be fomenting internal conflicts by allowing a large
influx of immigrants from China.  Almost all the Burmese I have talked to
in Thailand, the US or Burma have commented on this influx and deeply
resent it.

This is the first time anybody has heard about it; you better be able to
substantiate it......

>>>  Although this phenomenon has been widely commented on, it
does not seem to have been analyzed in great detail.  In my own opinion,
this in...............their luck in Shanghai rather than Mandalay.  In the
Kachin State, non-Han minorities from Yunnan have also been encouraged to
move to Burma.

Preposterous!
>> Lisus who have been displaced by dam projects in Yunnan have been settled
around Myitkyina w.............. local Lisus.  Undoubtedly, this is what
SLORC wants since these local conflicts increase disunity among the
people and deflect anger from the military.

Wishful thinking!

>>>If I may digress a bit at this point, let me also suggest that ASEAN's
attempts to counter Chinese influence in Burma by means of "constructive
engagement" is also flawed.  The simple fact is that SLORC rules by means
 of the gun.  Since China supplies SLORC with guns, China has the
ultimate influnce over SLORC's behavior.

Countries have no friends but interests.

Rangoon, no amount of investment by ASEAN or Western countries will change
SLORC, nor will it weaken China's influence.  If it has to choose between
increased investment or guns, SLORC will choose guns. It is simply a matter
of survival.

We don't need to be lectured; "political power grows out of the barrel of the
gun."

>>>Consequently, as long as the military controls Burma, China will continue
to "carve up" the country as the ASEAN countries fear.  China's control
over SLORC was clearly recognized by a Burmese acquaintence of mine in
Rangoon who jokingly referred to SLORC as the "Chinese government" or the
"Sino-Burmese" government.

You're a China-basher all right!