STATEMENT ON THE 49TH ANNIVERSARY O

Subject: STATEMENT ON THE 49TH ANNIVERSARY OF BURMA MARTYRS' DAY

                                  ABSDF
                  ALL BURMA STUDENTS' DEMOCRATIC FRONT

         Statement on the 49th Anniversary of Burma Martyrs' day

                                                     Date: July 19,  1996

July 19, 1996 marks the 49th anniversary of Martyrs' Day in
Burma, the day on which an unforgettable event took place. On
July 19, 1947 Burma suffered a great loss when,  General Aung
San and eight other heroes of the independence struggle were
assassinated, less than six months before the country regained
its sovereignty.

A few months after the Independence, civil war broke out
throughout the country, and in 1962 the Army led by General Ne
Win, citing the ethnic insurrections as a major threat to the
preservation of the union, seized power from the
democratically elected U Nu government.

Since then students, youths, and the people of Burma have been
sacrificing their lives in the struggle to restore freedom,
democracy and justice to our country.

The ABSDF would like to express the great admiration that we
feel for these people who have given their lives for the
benefit of the country, and the deep sorrow that we feel on
this occasion when we remember their deaths - a sorrow as
deeply felt as that of their family members.

On this special day, we the ABSDF strongly denounce the State
Law and Order Restoration Council (SLORC) for breaking their
promises concerning democratic reform, particularly their
refusal to honour the results of 1990 May general elections,
and for their continuing and escalating human rights abuses
against the people of Burma, aimed at maintaining their hold
on power indefinitely.

The ABSDF wholeheartedly supports Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and the
National League for Democracy (NLD) in their recent boycott of
the SLORC's 'sham' National Convention which seeks to
perpetuate their dictatorial rule through the drafting of a
constitution, by handpicked representatives.

On this significant anniversary, the ABSDF demands that the
SLORC;

1) abolish the 'sham' National Convention,
2) release all political prisoners including elected MPs and
   the prominent student leader Min Ko Naing,
3) abolish all unjust laws and stop all forms of human rights
   abuse,
4) enter dialogue with the NLD, led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi,
   and with ethnic leaders, to bring national reconciliation,
   democracy and lasting peace to Burma.

The ABSDF urges the Burmese people, in honour of our martyrs,
to double their efforts, in the struggle for peace democracy
and human rights.

The ABSDF also urges the rank and file soldiers in Burma to
honour to our beloved independence father General Aung San and
the other eight martyrs, by respecting the genuine desire of
our people for democracy, and by standing alongside them and
protecting them throughout their struggle. It is only by
ensuring that the army fulfills the role for which General
Aung San established it that soldiers can show their genuine
admiration for him.

ABSDF would like to urge all the ethnic groups who have cease-
fire agreements with the SLORC, to support by any possible
means the peaceful struggle led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi.

We would like to appeal to the international community to
impose trade sanctions and an arms embargo on the SLORC, and
to suspend any development aid until the restoration of
democracy and human rights in our country.

The ABSDF pledges to the people of Burma that we will continue
the struggle until the victory is achieved whatever sacrifices
may be necessary along the way.

Central Leading Committee
All Burma Students' Democratic Front