Oil diplomacy (fwd)

Thought people might find this interesting --

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 1996 08:28:47 CDT
To: Multiple recipients of list INTDEV-L <INTDEV-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Oil diplomacy

Hi all,

I am currently commencing research on  issues regarding what could be
labelled "oil
diplomacy". This involves looking at the manner in which ideological
boundaries between, (amongst others,) nation-states, transnational
corporations, and
International non-governmental organisations interact and overlap in
relation to oil. I am interested in looking at how these centers of power
interact, and how physical space is affected and understood by each
ideology. The extent to which an ideology operates on the function of
representing the interests of one community at the expense of another (The
Other?) also interests me.

I would like to, although I am not sure if it is tenable at this stage,
look at forms of communication or "diplomacy" between centers of
oil-power. The post cold-war, multipolar (etc.) context in relation to
ideological barriers, physical space and oil may offer a productive study.

I realise that this is a very "bald" description at this stage. However,
perhaps at a preliminary point of research suggestions from people are most
effective and productive. To this end, could anyone offer suggestions, in
terms of resources or ideas for further study? If it is remotely related to
ideological boundaries, oil, or diplomacy then any information will be
extremely useful and enthusiastically pursued.

Regards,
Mark Lambert.

Mark,

One thing you might look at is the lack of relations that countries without oil
have with the major economic powers and the lack of interest in their internal
politics and ideology. Burma is a prime example of the lack of will the
superpowers have when no oil is involved. Here you have a strong pro democracy
movement being constantly snuffed out by the military government. If there were
oil there or we had major corporate trade there, you can bet the U.S. would be
paying more attention, like they did with Kuwait. Good luck, its a good idea.

                                Jim Becker