National Anthem? (r)

At 09:52 AM 7/12/96, you wrote:
>From: Suvajee  Chanthanom <skay+@xxxxxxxx>
>
>Dear netters,
>	This may sound annoying to all of you.  But I would like to know
>whether "Myanmar" have a national anthem (before and after the
>formation of SLORC government).  If there is, can any one, please,
>send me an English translation of Myanmar or Burmese National Anthem?  Can
>any one give me also more information about its history (of national
>anthem) and information about "Burmese Identity"?  I could not find
>any book available in this regard of Burmese Identity in my library.
>If anyone can suggest me list of books or articles to read on the
>subject, I will really appreciate.
>Sincerely,
>Sue

Dear Sue,
It is>a long story. During the British rule, the Burmese had to sing 'God
save the king' for the English king.
When the young Burmese started movements in 1930, they composed a song as
their own national anthem. The song writer, Saya Tin wrote a beautiful song
tracing back the first Burmese dynasty and questioned' Should we Burmese be
inferior in our time?'
In 1948, when Burma gained independence, part of that song is accepted as
national athem. 25 years later the Burmese military government wrote new
constitution in 1973. They introduced new national emblem and when they
asked the people to vote for a new song to introduce a new as national
athem. The Burmese voted NO. This is the only thing the military cound not
change. Please listen--

We shall love evermore
Burma, the land of our father yore.
Giving our lives for our union we fight
This is our country, our land,ours by right.
We shoulder for the task responsible
As one we stang in duty our precious land.

It's very beautiful in Burmese.

best regard
uthaung