From rangoon Daw Suu sends message

Subject: From rangoon Daw Suu sends message to European Parliament!

	PRESS RELEASE  by Mrs. Glenys Kinnock Member of European Parliament

	FROM RANGOON - AUNG SAN SUU KYI SENDS MESSAGE TO THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT

Glenys Kinnock MEP has, through an intermediary who travelled to Rangoon,
made contact with Aung San Suu Kyi, the leader of the National League for
Democracy in Burma.

Members of the European Parliament have watched recent events in Burma
with growing concern and Glenys Kinnock invited Aung San Suu Kyi to
address the Parliament through a filmed interview. A letter from Glenys
Kinnock was taken secretly to Burma and a filmed interview has taken
place. The video will be shown at the Development Committee of the
European Parliament on July 24th.

Speaking from Brussels, Glenys Kinnock MEP said:

"Today we have heard the wonderful news that Heineken has pulled out of
Burma, as a result of pressure from citizens of Europe and the United
States. This is a considerable achievement, following as it does a
similar decision which has been made by Pepsi-Cola and Carlsberg."

"Today too we have heard that the video has been successfully smuggled
out of bUrma. Next week in Strasbourg a strong condemnation of the
Government in Rangoon will be made by Parliamentarians, and we will call
for action from the Commission and the Council. Action which reflects
the views of the leader of the democratic opposition in Burma - Aung San
Suu Kyi - who calls for economic sanctions, and an end to foreign
investment and tourist visits to Burma."

For further information please contact
Gwilym Jones           (or)	        Lynne Neagle.
Tel +32 2 284 5402			Tel 01 495 201 201(constituency)
Fax +32 2 284 9402			Fax 01 495 201 030