STATEMENT XMINY, A SEED-EU and BCN

Subject: STATEMENT XMINY, A SEED-EU and BCN on WITHDRAWAL BY HEINEKEN

PRESS RELEASE

Solidarityfund XminusY, The Burma Centre Netherlands and A Seed-Europe are
glad that Heineken withdraws from Burma. In January, the three organisations
started a campaign to get Heineken out of Burma. With this we supported the
call by Burma's opppositionleader Aung San Suu Kyi to the international
business community not to invest in Burma as long as democracy has not been
restored.

We hope Heineken's initiative will result in  support from the Dutch
government to the democratisation-porcesses in Burma. We expect The
Netherlands to support the call from Denmark for a boycott of Burma by the
European Union. The Danish request will be discussed on the 15th of July in
the EU's Council of Ministers of Foreign Affairs.
The European Parliament next week will vote on a resolution that calls for a
boycott of Burma. We expect this resolution to be adopted.

It is inspiring that the beer-brewer - exactly one year after the
oppositionleader and Nobelpeacepricewinner Aung San Suu Kyi was released
from six years of house arrest - realises that to invest in Burma at this
moment is not done. It is good that an internationally operating company as
Heineken listens to pubvlic opinion. We hope that other companies investing
in Burma - eg Nutricia, ABN Amro and IHC Caland - will reconsider their plans.

For Futher Information call:
XminusY
31-20-6279661
BCN
31-20-6716952
BCN is onafhankelijke stichting. Doel: Nederlandse samenleving informeren
over Burma. Het initieert en co-ordineert aktiviteiten die democratisering
en duurzame ontwikkeling bevorderen. Het geeft een positieve bijdrage aan
een constructieve dialoog tussen de diverse groeperingen.

BCN
Paulus Potterstraat 20
1071 DA AMSTERDAM
THE NETHERLANDS