A fish story, for Daw Aung San Suu

Subject: A fish story, for Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, Anniversary Tribute

Dedicated to Daw Aung Suu Kyi, on the anniversary of her birth, June 19
1996
Special thanks to Ken and Visakha Kawasaki
Dawn Star, Paris

The Foutaine Medici of the Luxembourg Gardens where the fish and the
Senators meet

'Tha-du' ,'Tha-du' ,'Tha-du' . As the fish slipped into the wide ocean
space of its newly found freedom, a suddent transformation gripped the
world under our feet as we watched the water from the transparent plastic
sack pour into the great pond  and roared peacefully through the nature.

The Fountaine Medici  is sheltered in a quiet protected cover of ancient
trees graced by two lovers in passionate embrace sculpted in polished
Italian marble, under the watchful eyes of Poseiden, the sea God. It is
situated exactly east of the stately Luxembourg Palace where every French
politician representing all the political parties of democatic France
join in debate in the magnificent Senate.

The fish plunged with great force through the cascading torrent downward.

" Quick, I said to the young boy,  " What shall we name the fish? "

" Fish don't have names . They're just fish ", " said the boy taller than
nature in his K2 roller blades and worn Chicago Bulls basketball cap.

" How do you know ", I persisted. " If you were a fish, wouldn't you want
a name, too? "

The boy was noticiably checked.

" I name this fish " Suu Kyi " in the name of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and on
the anniverary of her 52nd year ".

And in the same instant as the boy uttered " Suu Kyi ", his tender regard
traced the fish swim through the air in leaving behind a tail of water,
then, disappear, everthing engulfed in an explosion of particles.

" Do you think it'll live?, " asked the boy.

" Live?  ", I answered. " Prosper and grow with elegance in time. Why,
you see, there! There she is! "

And indeed, the brillant reddish orange  body of the gold fish now
glimmered in the light of nature,  virtually swimming in it.

Suddenly the water became as clear as the thoughts that compelled our
minds to behold the forest that reached below and above with sprawling
arms and limbs of solid branch and leaf. The world was no longer the same
as it was, neither for the strong small gold fish, that had been
carefully chosen among many of its species from a shop along the Seine
near Chatelet in Paris, where only a day before it was crowded in
currents not of its own, but tossed by a  teeming crowd of fellow gold
fish of various colors and sizes. Neither for us, too.

" Ah, there is a happy fish, " said the boy. " Look at it swim , its
playing. I think its playing. "

He remained silent, looking down at the gold fish that sprinted through
the strange new world.

" Well, its not the ocean, but at least I should think it will survive
here, unless of course it is eaten by another fish or a rat, or a duck.
You know Paris - -the world, in fact,  is full of rats. "

" Don't say that, " the boy smarted. "Suu Kyi won't get eaten by rats. "

" Of course not, I was only testing its strength. You see, now, how it is
still, almost motionless, reflecting only its own calm. "

And indeed, the fish was looking all around, in the immense fountain.

" We will see. 'Demain', tomorrow, I will come back and see our little
friend. Let the fish now talk to the Senate. Perhaps the Parliament will
have some new ideas about supporting Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, in Burma. I
should think they ought to send her their best wishes.  What do you
think? "

" That's a fine idea, " said the boy. "Did the fish tell you that, just
now? "

" 'Qui sait'?, Peut-être".  I smiled and trned away.

" Salute! ",  shouted the boy as he passed the tall black iron gates,
turning in front of the Senate entry to the Luxembourg Palace, and skated
past the sentries keeping guard with their polished black machine guns.

The next day, at nine in the evening, just before sunset, I thought it
was time to leave the stories and work of the day, to go and " Suu Kyi ",
and to see what heavenly thoughts might endow the evening. The park was
still open, most of the people having gone home or to restaurants to
dine. The Fontaine Medici was dark, the water nearly impossible to
penetrate. A rich blue ceiling  painted a thick coat of the descending
night over the surface.

Yet, through the haze of colour and nature, several fish -brillantly
gold, red , orange and white,-hovered through the water space.  Among the
fish was the small " Suu Kyi ", decidely protected in an environment no
less savage than it was strange. Four small ducklings, not more a day in
the water, dashed along while below the waterline the gold fish,
regrouped and then separated again. But " Suu Kyi " was never far from
one of the others, seemingly content in the pond of the Fountaine Medici.

"It was good of you to free the fish, " said the boy that night.

" Do you really think so, " I asked. " Yesterday you thought I was crazy.
"

" No I didn't. It's good, " asserted the boy. " And the fish is stronger
and happy now. "

" And you, how are you. Do you feel good, too? "

" Yes, I feel good, 'je me sens bien' " said the boy.

" At  first we thouht that the fish might be lost in the big pond full of
uncertain dangers, in a hostile unknown enviroment. But you see, to be
trapped with the other fish, in a protected secure environment, will
never result in a full or happy life. Even one day of freedom is worth a
thousand days of prison. Even if the fish were to die and pass on,
yesterday, it would have known something of the great life beyond here in
this world.
And look what greatness it has given you in your shared happiness. It is
the ?Gift of Life?. "

" You see, its a Buddhist tradition, for the anniversary of Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi.  In Japanese it is called Hojoe.  In Pali, the ancient Buddhist
language, Jivita Dana, or the Gift of Life.  To free animals or to give
medicine are forms of Jivitadana, that is the ancient Buddhist tradition.
"

" 'Tha-du' ,'Tha-du' ,'Tha-du', " repeated the boy.

That night a  perfect gold-red pastel skyline brightened the horizon over
Paris and Fountaine Medici...