re REPORTERS SANS FRONTIERES - FRAN

Subject: re REPORTERS SANS FRONTIERES - FRANCE

Dear Free Burma supporters,
We are in regular contact with RSF in Paris and we would like to see them
do more timely action-intervention regarding those in Burma suffering
directly from curtailment of press freedoms and overt condamnation
regarding slorc laws gagging the press. Please send Euro-Burmanet
information if you have it regarding individuals and cases pending,
writers, journalists in prison, tortured, and sadly killed or
disappeared.
RSF has a $ 10 MILLION budget half of which is paid for by the European
Union.
Metta,
Dawn Star
//http://www-uvi.eunet.fr/asia/euro-burma

Mon, 10 Jun 1996 18:28:54 +0200
RSF2@xxxxxxxxxxx (REPORTERS SANS FRONTIERES)
cd@xxxxxxx

Paris, 10 June 1996

Please find enclosed, as request, the protest letters we sent to the
Burman government since the beginning of the year. David Dieudonné, Asia
desk, RSF
His Excellency General Than Shwe
President State Law and Order Restoration Council
c/o Ministry of Defence
Signal Pagoda Road
Rangoon
Burma
Paris, 10 January 1996

Your Excellency,

Reporters Sans Frontières, a worldwide independent organisation working
to defend press freedom, is gravely concerned for the health and safety
of two journalists.

According to our information, Myo Myint Nyein, editor-in-chief of the
cultural magazine What's Happening and Win Tin, both members of the
National League for Democracy (NLD), have been subjected to severe
ill-treatment since mid-November 1995.

In mid-November, prison officials began to interrogate Myo Myint Nyein,
Win Tin and three other prisoners about letters which had been smuggled
out of Insein Prison to Professor Yozo Yokota, the United Nations Special
Rapporteur for human rights in Burma.

The letters provided details about ill-treatment and poor conditions in
the prison. Prison officials forced the five prisonners to sleep on
concrete floors without mats or blankets in "military dog cells", small
cells where military dogs are normally kept. The five have also been
denied access to their families, usuallygranted every two weeks to
provide them with food and medicine which are inadequate in the prison.

Reporters Sans Frontières calls on you to immediately stop the
ill-treatment of Myo Myint Nyein and Win Tin and to provide them with
proper medical care and access to their families.

Moreover, the organisation points out that reprisals against those who
provide information to representatives of United Nations human rights
bodies are contrary to the UN Commission on Human Rights resolution
1994/70.

Finally, Reporters Sans Frontières calls for the immediate and
unconditional release of Myo Myint Nyei and Win Tin who had not committed
a crime punishable by such a prison term.

We thank you for your attention and would welcome your comments.

Sincerely,

Robert Ménard
General Secretary

C.C :
Burmese Embassy, Paris - French Embassy, Rangoon - AFP - AP - Reuter -
Amnesty International - Article 19 - Canadian Committee to Protect
Journalists - International Committee of the Red Cross - United Nations
Commission on Human Rights - Committee to Protect Journalists -
International Federation
of Human Rights - International Federation of Newspaper Publishers -
International Federation of Journalists - Fund for Free Expression -
Index on Censorship - International PEN - International Press Institute -
International Organisation of Journalists - UNESCO - World Press Freedom
Committee.

REPORTERS SANS FRONTIERES
Sécrétariat international
5, rue Geoffroy Marie 75009 Paris - France
Tel: (33) 1 44 83 84 84 - Fax: (33) 1 45 23 11 51 - Email

His Excellency General Than Shwe
President State Law and Order Restoration Council
c/o Ministry of Defence
Signal Pagoda Road
Rangoon
Burma
Paris, 16 April 1996

Your Excellency,

Reporters Sans Frontières, a worldwide independent organisation working
to defend press freedom, wishes to strongly protest against the
additional prison sentence imposed on two journalists.

According to our information, on 28 March 1996 Win Tin, former Hanthawati
newspaper editor and Myo Myint Nyein, What's Happening magazine editor
were given additional sentences of five and seven years respectively.

They were found guilty of passing information  to Professor Yozo Yokota,
the United Nations Special Rapporteur for human rights in Burma about
ill-treatment and poor prison conditions.

The trial took place in camera in Insein Prison, were they are both
serving sentences.

They had no legal counsel during the proceedings, which is contrary to
international fair trial standards.

Those sentenced may have been charged solely for exercising their rights
to contact the outside world as provided for in Articles 37 and 39 of the
UN Standard minimum rules for the treatment of prisoners. 19 other
prisoners were also sentenced on the same grounds and in the same
conditions.

In a former protest, Reporters Sans Frontières called on you to
immediately stop the ill-treatment of Myo Myint Nyein and Win Tin and to
provide them with proper medical care and access to their families.

 Our organisation also called for the immediate and unconditional release
of Myo Myint Nyei and
Win Tin, who had not committed a crime punishable by such a prison term.

We reiterate these requests, and point out that reprisals against those
who provide information to representatives of United Nations human rights
bodies are contrary to UN Commission on Human Rights resolution 1994/70.

Email rsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx