The people who are in Australia Don

Subject: The people who are in Australia Don't Miss It!

	Pilger File (Land of Fear) promotesban on Burma

	Journalist John Pilger has called on the Australian Government to
ban business investment inBurma and to launch a campaign to discourage
tourists to the country.

	If it was serious in its intent to honour resistance leader and
1991 Nobel Peace Prize winner Aung San Suu Kyi with the Order of
Australia recently, then it should not collude in ayyempts to snuff out
all hopes of a victory by her pro-democracy movement, he says.

"That's fine that Australia has announced it had given her the metal and
it undoubtedly helps to support her but, at the same time, [Minister for
Trade ] Tim Fisher is saying that we should take a more flexible apporach
to the regime and that Australian companies shold be allowed to invest
there," says Pilger, on a visit back to Australia from the United Kingdom.

	"But Western investors shouldn't invest there and tourists
shouldn't go. We need to put pressure on the regime from outside.

	"I think Suu Kyi sees outside world as a lifeline now because the
regime itself has decided it wants investors and tourists for their
foreign exchange and she says they should be denied that. Both
governments have had a two-faced policy towards her. They say she's a
wonderful woman, but on the other hand that we should encourage
'constructive engagement' so everyone can get on with doing business.

	"But I would have thought that if the Australian Government is
serious about supporting Suu Kyi, then it should be very clearly saying
to Australian business that it shouldn't goto Burma and that Australian
tourists shouldn't not go."

	Pilger was speaking on the eve of the Australian broadcast of his
documentary, INSIDE BURMA - Land of Fear. Shown in Britain last month, it
provoked a tremendous rush of feeling from viewers there.

	Lines set up for people to phone in after the program were busy
until 3am the next day, with callers asking what they could do to help
Suu Kyi and support the democratic movement in the country.

	Pilger hopes the audience for tonight's ABC broadcast will react
even more passionately, since we are so much closer to Burma,
geographically and politically.

	Posing as travel consultants and using small cameras, the
film-making team of Pilger and David Munro travelled widely around Burma
to collect evidence of the crisis in the country. They show harrowing
scenes of children as young as 10 toiling in temperatures of 35C to build
an extension to the notorious "Death Railway" started under Japanese
occupation in World War II, which at that time cost the lives of
thousands of Allied and Asian prisoners.

	Ironically Pilger and Munro, who have won British Academy of Film
and Television Arts and Emmy awards, were only able to make this film
because of the regime's declaration of 1996 as the year of the Tourist.

	With security relaxs at airports as a result, the film-makers
were able to bring in their cameras and give the slip to intelligence
officers who were following them. At the end of their trip, knowing it
would be their most perilous move, Pilger and Munro went to visit Suu Kyi.

	"She everying and more that you might imagine," says Pilger. "She
has undoubtedly 99 per cent of the country behind her."

[By Sue Williams, 05 June 96]

Tonight:
********

	The Land of Fear (Inside Burma) will be showed on ABC - Channel
	2 - at 8:30 pm.

Boycott Burma?
**************

	"The ruling junta has turned Burma into a vast slave labour camp
	in order to 'develop'."

	- from this month's New Internationalist magazine, a special
	issue on Burma edit by John Pilger.

	Should Australian tourists, investors and companies boycott Burma?

	Subscribe now to the New Internalists to see what can be done. (
	Only price $5.60 for 4 monthly issues with starting with the special
	issue on Burma edited by John Pilger.)

	Contact to New Internationalists, 7 Hutt St, Adelaide 5000 Australia.
	Phone to (61) (08) 232 1563
	Fax to (61) (08) 232 1887