A Report from London.

Dear Christina,
Attached is a piece for distribution in the net.
I'd be most grateful if you could put it in the net
asap. Thanks.
omtun.

A Report From London
(Oung Myint Tun)
23/05/96.

The Burmese community in the UK has planned to
stage a demonstration in front of the Burmese
Embassy in London on 27 May, 1996,from 12:00
noon to 2:00 p.m., to commemorate the 6th
anniversary of the landslide victory of the National
League for Democracy (NLD) led by Daw Aung San
Suu Kyi at the May 1990 multi-party general elections
held by the SLORC.

The demonstration is also to protest against the latest
dictatorial actions of the SLORC arresting arbitrarily
the elected members and supporters of NLD who have
planned to attend the Sunday NLD national conference
to be held at Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's home and the
University students who have been helping them.

The supporters of the Solidarity for Democracy in
Burma (SDB), the NLD (LA), the Burma Action Group,
Tourism Concern and  private individuals,
including the Buddhist monk U Uttara, will take
part in the demonstration. The people belonging to
the international community have planned to join
hands with the Burmese in the demonstration.

The NLD(LA) and the SDB have issued statements
demanding the SLORC military regime promptly
transfer power to the legitimate winners of
the people's mandate at the May 1990 elections;
to immediately release all political prisoners
and detainees; to cease violations of human rights
in every form; to allow the Burmese citizens to
fully enjoy freedom of speech, assembly and
association; and to conduct substantial dialogue
with the democracy leader Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
and the leaders of ethnic groups. The statements
have also appealed to the international community
to give more support to the movement and to give
various forms of pressure on the Slorc to put Burma
back on the democratic path.

The commemoration of the anniversaries of the NLD
election victory have been celebrated every year
by the Burmese and international communities in
many countries outside Burma. But it could not have
celebrated so openly and defiantly inside Rangoon
before. It appears that this is going to happen in
Rangoon this year despite the SLORC's unlawful
actions to prevent that from happening. So, this is
going to be the year which will clearly make tremendous
impact on the movement for the restoration of democracy
and freedom in Burma.

Burmese democracy lovers and international supporters
would, as in the past, commemorate the anniversary
in different countries in their own ways. However, all of
us, this year, would want to show more of our strength
of purpose and political will and to demonstrate the
efficacy and tenacity of our overwhelming support to
the pro-democracy movement inside Burma which has been
led courageously by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and other
patriots. So, let's do every thing we can to show our strength
of conviction and the unity of purpose to the SLORC in Burma,
by staging demonstrations and protests in front of the SLORC's
embassies in various countries through out the world.

Some people would say that one drop of water does not make
an ocean. But, some others would say that an ocean is made up
of those drops of water! Things may seem hard to overcome.
But in the end "the strength of purpose and the political will of
the people" shall prevail.