Press Release by the White House on

Subject: Press Release by the White House on May 25, 1996

May 25, 1996

STATEMENT BY THE PRESS SECRETARY

            THE WHITE HOUSE

     Office of the Press Secretary

For Immediate Release                           May 25, 1996

STATEMENT BY THE PRESS SECRETARY

     The United States is deeply concerned by reports that the
military regime in Burma is detaining hundreds of members of the
democratic movement.  We have urged the regime to release all
detainees immediately and unconditionally, and not to interfere
with the efforts of the National League for Democracy to meet at
a conference in Rangoon on Sunday.

     We have continued to make our views known to the regime both
in Washington and in Rangoon.  We have also urged U.S. citizens
to reconsider non-essential travel.

     We are gratified that a number of governments around the
world have joined us in condemnation of the actions of the
Burmese military regime.  The United States will continue to work
with other members of the international community on this issue.
We will seek to ensure that current developments are a topic of
concern at G-7 meetings and upcoming regional consultations in
Asia.

     These issues were reviewed on Friday at a senior-level White
House meeting, where a decision was made to dispatch an envoy to
consult with European, Asian, and other friends and allies on a
coordinated response to ongoing events.

     We again call on the authorities in Burma to engage in a
meaningful political dialogue with the democratic opposition
leaders and representatives of the ethnic minorities.

# # #