English translation and origin of n (r)

Subject: Re: English translation and origin of name "Ayeyarwady'(Irrawaddy)

> I have always believed, and used in my writings the meanaing of Irrwaddy (the
> Burmanized version being Ayeyarwaddy).  Ira in sanskrit is "big or massive:
>  waddy means body of water.  If you find any other variation of this, please
> share.
>
> Professor U Kyaw Win
With all respect may I reply to the quest with my limited knowledge.
What I would like to contribute is not a variation but an addition.

Ira in sanskrit as well as in Pali is "big or massive"
waddy in sanskrit as well as in Pali is (1) "big or massive", (2) "lady"

For example, "Wailu Waddy" is a lady who had been developing in side the
bamboo instead of the mother's womb. Wailu = bamboo, Waddy = lady

According to grammatical gender rivers could be feminine.
My conclusion is 'big body of water' could be the lateral meaning and
'big lady' could be another meaning.

Yours respectfully,
Ni Ni

Dr. Khin Ni Ni Thein     E-mail: nin@xxxxxx     Phone: +31 (0)15 2151729
River morphologist       Hydraulic Engineering Department