No Subject Given (r)

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 08:35:29 -0700 (PDT)

/* Written  4:55 AM  Apr 10, 1996 by fdhr!chan@xxxxxxxxxxxx in igc:reg.burma */
/* ---------- "No Subject Given" ---------- */
To: reg.burma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 11:02:14 +0000
Subject: Fom India (NCGUB)
CC: rhelvey@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Return-receipt-to: [email protected]

 Democracy pilgrimage

	What the exile activists must do after Aung San Suu Kyi=92s release is to=
 support her and NLD. Support does not mean just putting out =93100% suppo=
rt statements=94. Likewise the people inside must be encouraged and provid=
ed knowledge and skills of non-violent political struggle. Communications =
with the inside people are of prime importance so that harmony would be ac=
complished. Here is a fresh instance of it.
	Indian-based pro-democracy groups formed a coalition* to visit Lumbani, t=
he birth-place of Lord Buddha where a new shrine was to be installed a sac=
red umbrella. A well-known Buddhist senior monk from Burma, Ashin Nya-Nei-=
Thra (Thae-Gon Sayadaw) who has been distinguished for his =93Ten precepts=
 of kings=94 and other religious discourses was to patron the ceremony. Th=
e main reason of trip was to communicate with the  people because 300 or s=
ome were expected to come out of Burma to partake.
	NCGUB led the coalition including one monk, nine men and four women. The =
dedicated close-knit crews started the 2000 Km-round-trip journey from Del=
hi on a special Deluxe minibus at midnight of 3rd April. Kusinagar where B=
uddha ultimately attained Nirvana more than 2,500 years ago, 175 Km before=
 Lumbani was the transit camp. A visiting lady manager, on seeing a Burmes=
e monk allowed them for a single night of 4th April saying many visitors w=
ere coming by tomorrow.
	The Arakan abbot, U Nya-Nei-Thra (not the first one) is one of a few monk=
s who accepted SLORC=92s politically motivated citations, Eggamahapandhitt=
a. On the wall we noticed a photo of late U Wunna-Theri who was known as o=
ne of the =93Monk-Generals=94 of the SLORC-backed Sangha organisation. The=
 group were not surprised when the abbot suggested us to move to =93Thar-W=
uthdi=94 which is 200 Kilometres away and the SLORC had no plan to visit t=
here either. I thoughtfully turned down his.
	During breakfast and lunch we had a conversation with the abbot and the v=
isiting lady whose =93Nya-chawk-kyaw=94 was delicious. U Nya-Nei-Thra talk=
ed about unity which meant just not to confront against anybody. We replie=
d, =93NLD=92s position is reconciliation=94. The young students of the us =
were advised to study but not just sticking to democracy struggle. I added=
, =93We need the country governed by people with considerable education=94=
 . The lady prescribed, =93In your life you should not tread water against =
the current=94. The girls responsed, =93It=92ll be quite boring and irresp=
onsibly=94.
	While the group was about to move, a Burmese embassy team escorted by two=
 intelligence guys arrived in. Obviously they were bewildered. However we =
introduced each other saying hello and we all were from Burma. I concluded=
 that the army, the police or the associates of the SLORC were not the ene=
mies, but we desired to reintroduce democracy in our Burma hand in hand wi=
th them.
	We were not difficult to find a new accommodation in Tibet Buddhist templ=
e which is side by side with the Burmese one. The Lama was so benevolent t=
o host us. We enjoyed the video of =93Heart of Tibet=94 which recorded unu=
sual brutalities of Chinese in Tibet.
	On the next morning the local authorities called a meeting inviting all g=
uest-houses and temples and asked them not to accept any more guests from =
Burma informing the presence of 14 opposition people in the Tibet temple. =
The Lama was particularly requested not to let us to advance to Burmese mo=
nastery and the pagoda after 8 PM. It was knowable that there was an appea=
l from the foe side. At midnight a magistrate and a police officer met wit=
h me inquiring the plan of our visit. The answers were forthright.
	=93We are democrats, followers of a Noble Peace Prize winner and of non-v=
iolence=94.
	=93We appreciate India and we never conduct anything against the hospital=
ity of India=94.
	The officers allowed us to move on to Lumbani before the VIPs arrived. I =
decided to stay in Kusinagar while the VIPs and non-VIPs were there so tha=
t we could operate according to the plan. Since then we were guarded by se=
curity peoples.
	Before the next daybreak we learnt that the SLORC number one, his wife, t=
he intelligence master=92s wife and others were coming on four helicopters=
 . Mrs. Khin Nyunt was in a plaster-of-Paris cast. All were welcomed by a b=
eautiful plate printed with Aung San Suu Kyi=92s picture (a product of the=
 CNAB*) which has been donated and placed in front of the Buddha statue.
	The new comers who arrived at Kusinagar while VIPs were having food on th=
e red carpet in a tent-house had to sun-dry for a couple of hours outside =
the monastery. Among them were donors of the shrine umbrella. Other local =
Buddhist people and monks were also barred.
	This pilgrimage tour was arranged by the religious affairs minister, Gen.=
 Myo Nyunt collecting 1.5 lakh kyats per head. 65 dollars was provided. Bu=
t a son of a General brought $6,000 for his pocket-money. Those who could =
donate 50,000 kyats or more were favoured. Nevertheless one had to spend 2=
 lakh. The tourist guides who must have good background kept the passports=
 of all civilians and monks who had been ordered not to discuss any politi=
cs with anybody in India. Yes the people did not need to be lectured.
	How is the =93Sangha Mahanayaka=94?
	It is just like the civilians who have just to sign what they are ordered=
 .
	How developing Burma is nowadays?
	Nothing else but new constructions by contributed forced labour.
	How are the prices? Skyrocketing.
	How are Daw Suu=92s public meetings?
	Well-attended.
	How is she?
	She is smart.
	How do people expect?
	Totally on her and you the exiles as well.
	How do you see of us?
	We were told the expatriated students were beggarly. But we are pleased t=
o see you doing well.
	Do you like the situation?
	You have suffered for 8 years outside, we 8 years inside.
	Etc?
	Etc.
	Just after the helicopters took off, the District Magistrate met with U R=
amjeet and me in a pretty tourist hotel to question about us. He said they=
 were our guests and you were too. He expressed his concern if we would st=
age a demonstration. I affirmed that we did not. We rather like to demonst=
rate in Delhi for excellent media-coverage. The demonstrations are not the=
 language SLORC could understand. Instead we encourage SLORC to do merits =
and to obverse merit-makings so that they would become closer to truth and=
 peace. We perceived everybody we met, during the trip, did not need to be=
 introduced to Aung San Suu Kyi.
	The local monks, the college students and others came to see us and besto=
wed solidarity with us. When it was learnt that we adhered to non-violence=
 and had own strategy, their planned demonstration by local monks wearing =
black gowns with =93Go back home=94 message on the backs was postponed.
	A group of students from ABSL who are campaigning =93No-visit Burma=94 an=
d came back from Khatmandu were blocked to enter Lumbani on 5th April. In =
Buddha Gaya the Burmese pilgrims met other group of students who were also=
 on a crusade against =93Visit Myanma Year 1996=94. So no one could not re=
frain from learning the PD, =93promote democracy=94 messages from India.
	An old courageous lady of over 80 asked the group members if they had any=
thing to pass on to their families. We said we just wanted the people and =
the pilgrims to be clear of obstacles and wished for freedom from fear. Th=
e fruition of the trip was the endeavor of all members with guts and insig=
ht.

Democracy pilgrimage coalition, India.
April 10, 1996
*The team was made up of  NCGUB, NLD/LA, ABYMU, ABSDF, ABSL, AASYC, FTUB a=
nd WRWAB.
*CNAB stands for Committee for Non-violent Actions in Burma