Haiku for the Greening of Mitsubish (r)

Subject: Re: Haiku for the Greening of Mitsubishi

Yes, Mr. Tanaka's reaction puzzled me, too -- especially since a Chinese
woman in one of my poetry classes a couple years back brought a text
tracing the "Japanese haiku" origins to a short poetic form used in
Chinese language and culture prior to the usage in Japanese language and
culture.  I believe the "borrowing a poetic form across cultures is a
demeaning, racist act" overlooks two important factors.  First,
cross-linguistic and cross-cultural borrowings are constantly going on;
and second, Americans and people of many other cultures may often write a lot
of poetry that is not the "best" by their own culture's standards, let
alone the tastes of another culture.

Grace & Peace,
RSC

R. S. Carlson                    VOICE:  (818) 969-3434 x3102
Professor, English & TESOL       FAX:    (818) 969-7180
Azusa Pacific University
901 East Alosta Avenue
Azusa, CA 91702
                  ^^Opinions expressed are my own, not my employer's^^