Haiku for the Greening of Mitsubish (r)

Subject: Re: Haiku for the Greening of Mitsubishi

I second David Wolfberg's request for advice about how to
communicate with Asian potentates like Mitsubishi.  Obviously a
question of "face" is involved, but "face" varies from culture to
culture, and different strategies are required.  For example, in
China apparently, according to Kristof and WuDunn in "China Wakes",
the trick is to make a request quietly, while strongly hinting that
if nothing is done human rights reports etc.  will come out.
Another strategy that works in China is to give the authorities a
medical excuse to release a political prisoner.

So what are the ropes in this regard in Japan?  I know Japanese
people have a strong sense of obligation, which at the same time is
very different from ours.  On one occasion a dear Japanese friend of
mine had a major psychotic break, out of the blue.  Us Gaijin circled
around her,  trying to make her feel safe in a hospital where she was
sure that at any minute she would be poisoned or gassed.  One of her
Japanese friends dropped by, but left quickly saying that she felt an
"obligation" to attend an official function instead of being there
for her unbelievably needful friend.

Does Mitsubishi feel any kind of obligation to protect anything other
than its "face"?

Clearly the Mitsubishi Haiku somehow struck a Japanese nerve, no
doubt having to do with shame and face.  As David asks, how might
the matter have been handled differently?  The non-Japanese Haiku
authors were coming from a place of deep indignation and disgust at
Mitsubishi's practices, so deep that only poetry could serve to
express it.  Is there a way to nuance these valid reactions that has a
better chance of inducing change on the part of this monstrous
corporation?

Or will will get knee jerk reactions no matter what we do?

I sent a long letter to Generalissimo Tanaka in private, wishing to
avoid shaming him, to which his only response was to re-send his
original letter to me, like an old English imperialist believing
that if you shout "Water!" loud enough, waiters from any country will
have to understand.

Maybe I should have included a threat to continue the discussion in
public if he did not respond with more care?

As someone remarked, at this rate mainland China will have democracy
before Japan does.

Alex Turner