No Subject Given

To: reg.burma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 20:44:56 +0000
Subject: KNU & Slorc's Talks: Asian Age

18th March 1996

NO BREAKTHROUGH IN BURMA-KAREN TALKS

Bangkok, March 17: Two round of talks between the Burmese junta and the
Karen National Union were devoted to statements of position with no real
negotiations, The Bangkok Post daily reported on Sunday.
   "In our last negotiations, like in the first, there was no such thing as give and
take between the two sides. What we talked about was our respective stands,"
the paper quoted KNU official Padoe Mahn Sha as saying. The junta, or the
State Law and Order Restoration Council rejected some KNU proposals
outright _ including a request for UN monitoring of any cease-fire _ but said it
would "consider" others, the official said. The KNU said it could agree to stop
its armed resistance to the government, but "surrender is out of the question,"
the Post quoted a senior Karen official as saying. Padoe Mahn Sha, who led the
KNU delegation to the second round of talks in Rangoon, said SLORC leaders
"really didn't have very much to say" except to recall the junta's work to
promote national peace and harmony. (APF)

**end**