Burmanet News: March 15, 1995 #363

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 1996 16:18:24 -0800 (PST)

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: March 15, 1996
Issue #363

Noted in Passing:

		Slorc won't talk to Suu Kyi and the opposition
		unless they have guns. Slorc only talks to those
		who have guns. - un-named Karenni official
		(see NATION: 'AN ANT FIGHTING AN ELEPHANT')

HEADLINES:
==========
HINDUSTAN TIMES: TORTURE, MURDER A ROUTINE IN MYANMAR
FEER: CO-OPTED FORCE
NATION: 'AN ANT FIGHTING AN ELEPHANT'
NATION: KARENNI TO BATTLE ON DESPITE TACTICAL DEFEAT
NATION: SUU KYI PONDERS NEXT MOVE
ABSL: ANNOUNCEMENTS AND APPEAL
BKK POST: RANGOON TOLD BORDER POINTS NOT AN ISSUE
BKK POST: MANDALAY PROJECT SURE TO PAY BACK

HINDUSTAN TIMES: TORTURE, MURDER A ROUTINE IN MYANMAR
March 15, 1996

Forced labour, torture and killings remain widespread under the military
regime in Myanmar, special rapporteur Yozo Yakota of Japan said in a
report to the United Nations Commission on Human Rights issued in Geneva
yesterday.

Detail reports, photographs, video recordings and variety of physical
evidence seen by the special rapporteur indicated that the practice of
forced labour, forced portering, torture and arbitrary killing are still
widespread in Myanmar, the report said.

They seem to be occurring in the context of development programmes and
of counter-insurgency operations in ethnic minority regions, the report
said. Many of the victims of such acts belong to ethnic nationality populations.

In particular, they are peasants, women, daily wage-earners and other
peaceful civilians who do not have enough money to avoid mistreatment by
bribing, it said.

Report from non-governmental sources have described cases of civilians
who were allegedly executed when they resisted becoming porter for the
army or were beaten to death while being used as porters, the report added.

The army is also reported to have executed civilians for failure to
provide goods or services demanded. Those would include labour, food,
money or arms, the report said.

Although 2,000 political prisoners had allegedly been freed since April
1992, hundreds of other political prisoners were still in jail serving
long prison terms.

The due process of law was generally not respected in the Asian
countries. Numerous testimonies alleged the absence of counsel during
trial, the absence of time and all other such attendant guarantees, the
report said.

The practice of torture remains widespread.

Report of torture and inhuman treatment in the past year include severe
beatings, shackling, near suffocation, burning, stabbing, rubbing of salt
and chemical into open wounds and psychological torture, including threat
of death, it said.

Detainees were often forced to sleep on cold concrete and many of them
suffered from sickness and serious diseases.

In one cause, prisoner were forced to sleep on concrete floors without
mats or blankets in "military dog cells", small cells where military dogs
are normally kept.

Myanmarese continued to be deprived of fundamental human rights like the
right of freedom of expression and association.

In the province of Rakhine, the local Muslim population did not even
enjoy the unrestricted right to citizenship, it said.

FEER: CO-OPTED FORCE
March 21, 1996

THE Defence Ministry in Rangoon mentions a new unit under
its command: the Frontier Force. It is believed the new
force will incorporate ethnic rebel armies which have signed
cease-fire agreements with the ruling junta in Rangoon. These include
the Kachin Independence Army and the Mong Tai Army of opium
warlord Khun Sa. The Frontier Force might be the military leadership's
way of reaching a compromise between total integration of the former
rebel forces with the regular army and allowing  them the autonomy they
were granted under cease-fire agreements. (FEER)
 .

THE NATION; 'AN ANT FIGHTING AN ELEPHANT'
March 15, 1996

The Karen National Progressive Party [KNPP] has been
fighting with the Burmese military government, the State Law
and Order Restoration Council [Slorc] , since a cease-fire
between the two broke down last year. Last month, two strategic
hills held by the KNPP were captured by Slorc troops. In the last week,
Rangoon's ground troops, aided by fighter bombers attacked the
remaining KNPP hills. The KNPP lost the hills but continues put up
resistance to the offensive. With little ammunition and few heavy arms,
the guerrillas are adopting hit and run tactics to attack Slorc from the rear.
The Slorc troops, according to guerrilla sources have suffered heavy
causalities but field army officers are under orders to wipe out the KNPP
before Armed Forces Day, which will be held on March 27.

Aung Zaw talked to a KNPP leader about the battlefield
situation. The KNPP official agreed to the interview under
the condition he not he not be identified.

Aung Zaw: There have been reports that Rangoon is using
bombers to attack your positions? Are they true?

KNPP: They are using four Swiss-made PC-7 bombers. In fact,
these planes are just for training but the Slorc uses them
to attack ethnic minorities and insurgents.
[The Pilatus PC-7 was sold to the Burmese air force for
training but it was modified by Burmese air force. The
planes are loaded with rockets and bombs.]

What had happened last week? When did they begin to attack?
Since Feb 28 they began a new offensive. Then on March 3
there was a heavy attack. They used 81mm, 120mm, 75mm, and
machine guns. But many Slorc soldiers were killed when they tried to
advance on Nonglong hill. We intercepted Slorc radio messages - the
order given by top leaders was to wipe out and control KNPP by the
fourth or fifth March. But they didn't so finally they called for
reinforcement and help from the air force.

When did they start to attack by air?

On March 7. When they dropped bombs, our soldiers had to
run. It is like an ant fighting with an elephant.

You lost your strategic hills?

Well. We still control some hills but Nonglong and Ta Yoke
[Chinese] hills were captured by the enemy. They are
important as they are highest in that area.

What are your plans? You have less than 1,000 foot soldiers
and inadequate ammunition. Unlike Slorc you have no mortars
or anti-air craft guns. How long do you think can you last?

We have launched guerrilla warfare. We will continue to do
so. We sometimes ambushed convoys and food provisions.
[Slorc soldiers] are scared of our hit-and-run warfare.
Their morale is low. But we don't want to reveal [our next plans].

But if Slorc wants to open a new dialogue with the KNPP,
will you talk to them?

Yes, definitely. We are ready to sit and talk with them. But
they must be sincere. They must be sincere. There must also
be equality. The can't say that we are coming back to the
'legal fold'. We won't surrender.

There are 15 armed ethnic groups that have reached cease-
fire with Slorc. How do you feel since they have not made
any statements in support of you in the wake of this
fighting? What is your message to them?

Well. We fight alone. I don't think they [the 15 armed
groups] are happy with Slorc. They get nothing from Slorc.
But some of them are cowards and they don't dare to oppose
or speak out against Slorc. I don't think they are getting what they
wanted. Slorc leaders don't want to discuss political issues. They are
also suffering. They should know Slorc is cheating us.

There was a report saying that the student army is
cooperating with KNPP.

Yes. There are 40 or 50 ABSDF [All Burma Students Democratic
Front] soldiers helping us.

Do you think your remaining bases will be wiped out in a few
weeks? What can they do?

We have been fighting this war for forty years. They might
get hills and land but not our revolutionary spirits. Even
if they get them, we have a plan to continue.

How can you survive in the long term? The situation has
changed. You have lost strategic trade offices to Slorc?
There is no outside [financial] support for the KNPP.

We previously made money from the logging trade in teak. We
now have very little ammunition and food. We therefore would
rather choose hit-and-run warfare.

What is your impression of the international community and
inside political situation in Burma?

It is absurd to see a high ranking UN official not allowed
to enter Burma. Why are they [Slorc] so afraid? I think the
world community and the UN should speak out more. It is
disappointing the UN is not capable to help us. I heard
there may be sanctions, arms embargoes imposed. I think it
must be done as quickly as possible. The world community
should punish Slorc.

Why should they punish Slorc?

They are social outcasts. They don't respect the will of the
people. They don't know politics. Like Mao Ze Deng they rule
the country at gun point. In Kayah state, Slorc soldiers
continue to rob our villages, kill villagers, rape women and
take men for forced labour or to carry ammunition and food
for soldiers. If they suspect some villagers are helping the
KNPP they severely torture and kill them.

What do you think of Aung San Suu Kyi and the opposition in
Burma. do you think they are effective?

They are also suffering under this regime. It is difficult
for them since they have no arms. We at least have arms. If
[Slorc] come and bully we can at least fight back because we
have guns.
They don't care about the urban opposition because Slorc
knows very well that they have no guns. Slorc won't talk to
Suu Kyi and the opposition unless they have guns. Slorc only
talks to those who have guns.

So you are saying that the opposition in Burma should be
armed?

Yes. We will win if we have arms.

Aung Zaw is a freelance journalist. He contributed this
article to the Nation.

******************

NATION: KARENNI TO BATTLE ON DESPITE TACTICAL DEFEAT
March 15, 1996 AP   (abridged)

ETHNIC Karenni rebels vowed yesterday to continue their
struggle for autonomy despite losing the last of their key
hilltop positions to Burmese government troops.

At the same time, Burma's only other minority group still
resisting government control _ the Karen _ plans a new round
of cease-fire talks with Burmese leaders next month.

Burmese soldiers, advancing against Karenni fighters in an
enclave along the Burmese-Thai border, dislodged the
defenders Monday from their last mountain stronghold, known
as Rambo Hill 2.

"Of course it was a defeat, but we will never surrender,"
said Abel Tweed, foreign minister for the Karenni
independence movement. "We will turn to guerrilla tactics.
Slorc will never win this war."

He said a force of 400 Karenni withdrew from Rambo Hill 2
because they lacked an effective way to defend against
Burmese fighter-bomber aircraft. More than 3,000 Burmese
troops are now based in the area, he said.

He added, however, that Burmese looses were heavy. About 500
government soldiers were killed or wounded in attacks in the
first nine days of March, and seven Burmese soldiers
deserted to the Karenni side, he said. Karenni losses during
the same period were two killed and seven wounded, Tweed said.

The Karen, a closely related ethnic group operating in areas
farther south along the border, will send a delegation to cease-fire
talks in April in Moulmein, a well-informed Karen source said.

But Karen leaders expect little to come of the meeting and
hope simply to gain time for their cause, said the source.
The planned talks are the third since the two sides began
meeting in December.

The earlier discussions failed because Burmese officials
insisted on signing a separate cease-fire deal with the
Karen but not with their pro-democracy allies, said the source,
who works in the group's political arm, the Karen Nation Union.

Due to the peace talks, the Karen have postponed plans to
launch an urban guerrilla campaign against military targets
in Rangoon and other Burmese cities , the source said.

**************************************

THE NATION: SUU KYI PONDERS NEXT MOVE
March 15, 1996
Reuter

RANGOON- Burmese democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi met her
colleagues yesterday to discuss the possibility of making another
attempt to travel to Mandalay to attend the trial of four supporters.

"We are thinking it over. The leaders are discussing it now
but there's no specific plan yet," Suu Kyi's press secretary
Aye Win said when asked whether Suu Kyi would again try to
make the trip to Mandalay, a city to the north of the capital.

Suu Kyi and three colleagues from her National League for
Democracy party cancelled a planned trip to Mandalay on
Wednesday evening after a railway coach they had booked
developed a mysterious, last minute technical hitch.

ABSL: ANNOUNCEMENTS AND APPEAL
March 14, 1996

                Zar Ti Man Journal is ready to distribute now !!!

We, members of All Burma Students League(ABSL) are happy to
announce that the League is ready to distribute the first ever offset-printed "
Zar Ti Man" Journal in Burmese language. The Journal exclusively
reflect/cover the outstanding activities of the Burmese Democratic
forces based in India and varieties of articles/one-page short story/
revolutionary poems/prose/cartoon/photos and many illustrations which
were contributed by the democratic fighters of ABSL and other analyst/
academicians around the world. The League kindly request those who like
to receive the copy of the "Zar Ti Man" Journal, write to

     Ko Nyo
     Propaganda and Mass Communication Department
     All Burma Students League(ABSL)
     3, Krishna Menon, New Delhi - 110011
     Fax : 0091- 11 - 3793397

(((( Though Free Subscription Fee to order for the Journal, the League
     request overseas readers for postage fee according to the respective
     country.)))))

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\  ANNOUNCEMENT II //////////////////////////////

        A book : A note on Indo-Burma Border Trade is released !!!

Dear friends,

A seminar on Indo-Burma Border Trade Treaty was organized by ABSL and some
Burma-support groups in Manipur State of India in August, 1995. About 400
people from different walks of life participated at the Seminar and many
important issues relating to the treaty and pros- and cons- of the Indo-
Burma Border Trade were lengthily discussed by the speakers. The ABSL has
published the papers and documents which were presented and discussed in
the seminar as a book. It is an informative book on Indo-Burma border trade.
Those who are interested can order the copies of book from ABSL office in
New Delhi.
A copy = US $ 5 + US $ 2 (for postage)

        Ko Kyaw Than
        Research and Analysis Department
        All Burma Students League
        3, Krishna Menon Marg, New Delhi - 110011
        India.
        Fax : 0091 - 11 - 3793397

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\  EARNEST APPEAL

BOYCOTT VISIT MYANMAR YEAR 1996

Dear friends,

SLORC was forced to postpone its Visit Myanmar Year program till October
1996. Obviously, this is a result of the pressure from many Burmese
democratic forces and Burma-support groups campaigning against SLORC'
Visit Myanmar Year. Since the middle of 1995, the ABSL has been speeding
up its campaigns and programmes urging tourists not to visit Burma until
democracy restores in the country. Now, a pamphlet on Boycott Visit Myanmar
Year, published by the ABSL with the financial assistance from SAIN has
come out. We would like to urge all the like-minded people and organizations
to join the campaign and help us distribute these pamphlets as effectively as
you can. The pamphlets are available by writing to the All Burma Students
League Delhi Office.

        Htin Kyaw Oo
        Foreign Affairs
        All Burma Students League
        3, Krishna Menon Marg, New Delhi-110 011
        Fax : 379 3397

BKK POST: RANGOON TOLD BORDER POINTS NOT AN ISSUE
March 15,1996
By Nussara Sawatsawang

Rangoon has been told that Prime Minister Banharn Silpa-
archa's official visit is intended to lay the foundations
for future ties, not to negotiate the reopening of three key
border checkpoints.

The reopening of the checkpoints, ordered closed by Rangoon
last year, was not a subject for negotiation by the Prime
Minister, said Kobsak Chutikul, director-general of the
Foreign Ministry's economic affairs department.

Mr Kobsak arrived in Rangoon on Wednesday with colleagues
from ministries concerned to finalise four remaining points
on the border trade agreement to be signed by Foreign
Minister Kasem S. Kasemsri and Rangoon's Minister of Trade
Lt-Gen Tun Kyi, during the visit.

He said he had sought assurances from Rangoon that the
checkpoints would be reopened before the visit. "It's not a
precondition but it's a factor the Prime Minister takes
seriously because Thai people are watching," he said. Mr
Kobsak said hesitation was building in Bangkok in the lead-
up to Mr Banharn's visit, planned for March 17-18, because
Rangoon has remained silent on the checkpoints.

An aide to Deputy Army Commander Gen Chetha Thanajaro said
Lt-Gen Khin Nyunt, Secretary 1 of the ruling State Law and
Order Restoration Council, had given a personal assurance
two checkpoints would reopen tomorrow.
But there has been no confirmation so far from Rangoon to
the Foreign Ministry or the PM's Office in Bangkok.

A source at Foreign Ministry in Rangoon said Lt-Gen Khin
Nyunt wanted to obtain direct guarantees from Mr Banharn
that Thai authorities will stop smuggling and a recurrence
of old problems at the border before reopening the checkpoints.

The source said March 27, which coincides with Burma's Armed
Forces Day, was a more likely date for the reopening of the
Mae Sai and Ranong checkpoints.

Mr Kobsak said Burmese officials held a two-hour meeting
after he made his point and came out to say "no problem,
don't worry". He did not name the official, who mentioned no
date. Mr Kobsak said he reported back to the Foreign
Ministry in the evening and as of last night, the visit was still on.

The director-general held talks yesterday with U Kyaw Myint,
director-general of the Trade Department, Trade Ministry on
the four remaining points of the border trade agreement:
immigration, customs, trade and banks.

He said Rangoon still cannot agree with the proposal for the
six Thai banks with offices in Rangoon to be used in the
border trade. It wants only one or two banks.

On immigration issues, Mr Kobsak said the Thai side has
agreed to reciprocate by adjusting immigration rules to
allow Burmese traders to remain in Thailand for three nights
and four days for trade. The present rule allows only a 24-
hour stay.

On the trade issue, Rangoon has agreed to move 28 items from
its prohibited commodities list, including jade, gems and
jewellery, teak, cattle and buffalos, antiques and minerals.
Mr Kobsak said these remaining technical points will not
stop the inking of the border trade agreement, as both sides
did not expect everything to be settled by this weekend. He
expected all details to be settled by next month.

A delegation from the Thai Banker's Association is due in
Rangoon next month to try to find a compromise on the bank
issue in the agreement. Mr Kobsak quoted U Kyaw Myint as
saying the agreement will finally "normalise, legalise and
liberalise" border trade.

He said Rangoon officials were ready to explain the content
of the agreement to traders in due time. "It's going to
change from border trade to normal trade at the border."

BKK POST: MANDALAY PROJECT SURE TO PAY BACK
March 15,1996

A US$150 million airport project in Mandalay is commercially
viable and will be able to pay back both the principal and
interest on schedule, Export & Import Bank of Thailand
president M.R. Pridiyathorn Devaula said yesterday.

Exim Bank will single-handedly extend $150 million to the
airport construction project in Mandalay with a 13-year
repayment period, he said but added that the interest rate
is still under negotiation.

Ital-Thai Group won the right to build the Mandalay airport,
outbidding its Singaporean rival with its attractive long-
term and cheap credit package.

also distributed via the soc.culture.burma and seasia-l
mailing lists. For a free subscription to the BurmaNet News,
send an e-mail message to: majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxx

For the BurmaNet News only: in the body of the message, type
"subscribe burmanews-l" (without quotation marks).
For the BurmaNet News and 4-5 other messages a day posted on
Burma issues, type "subscribe burmanet-l"

Letters to the editor, comments or contributions of articles
should be sent to the editor at: strider@xxxxxxxxxxx