Teak

Response to Phillip (Burma/Japan) regarding TEAK FURNITURE stores:

This is Tim Keating, Director of Rainforest Relief in New Jersey/
New York City/Portland, OR.

Thanks for your information about the store in Maryland selling teak
furniture. This is no doubt one of the many Scandinavian stores that are all
over the US, and, I suspect, Scandinavia (not sure). They have different
names and are owned by different individuals (who may own one or more),
but all purchase their furniture from central manufacturers in Scandinavia.
They are set up like dealerships, somewhat like franchises, only apparently,
you get to pick your own name.

We (myself and Jeffrey Lockwood, who directs Rainforest Relief in Portland)
have done some research on this. The teak is admittedly coming from
Burma, which, the owners claim, helps support a "sustainable" forest
products industry in "Myanmar". These stores also usually feature some
Scandinavian-manufactured mahogany and rosewood furniture. Both are
endangered The reason the store owner seemed knowledgeable is because,
in resonse to the concern generated by the campaign against tropical
hardwoods ((which has unfortunately eased), the manufacturers created a
great deal of literature, which they continue to send to the store owners to
deal with customers that ask questions. I recently visited a store near me
(House of Norway) and asked some questions. The owner (manager?)
was quick to respond with the typical propaganda.

We have begun our "Teak is Torture" campaign, part of which is to hit
these stores wherever they are. We would like to expand the concerted
effort among rainforest and Burma activists.

We have working towards a "Day of Teak Action" to be announced. I hope
we can count on the support of BurmaNet readers and Burma activists.

Are there any days in the summer (June) or fall (September?) that would
be appropriate that might have some particular significance?

We are continuing to research the sources of the furniture, but we could use
some help. Is there anyone out there that could help with this effort? The
rainforests of Burma may well be destroyed in a few years if we do not
stygmatize teak IMMEDIATELY!

Phillip, I suggest going back to the store (what is the name) and asking
for brochures on their complete line of furnishings. Please copy these
and send them to me.

To all BurmaNet readers: do you know of any Scandinavian furniture stores
near you? Look in the yellow pages. Names such as Scan Design, Scandinavian
Designs, Scandinavian Furniture, Happy Viking, and House of Norway have
already been found. (Just now, looking in the Manhattan phone book, I have
found "The International Home" featuring "Scandinavian teak, rosewood",
Scancraft (Bloomfield, NJ, with an NYC phone #, "From Scandinavia, Ltd.,
and Wim & Karen Scandinavian Furniture in Manhattan). Please notify me of
the exact address of any stores found and keep the information for yourself
for the upcoming day of action. Please send me any information you have
about teak logging in Burma (or elsewhere). Does anyone know of a source of
information about the history of teak exploitation?

Tim Keating
Rainforest Relief
P.O. Box 281
Red Bank, NJ 07701
908/842-6030
relief@xxxxxxxxxxx

Jeffrey Lockwood
Rainforest Relief - Portland
503/236-3031

                   R   A   I   N   F   O   R   E   S   T       R   E   L   I   E
          Dedicated  to  the  Preservation  of  the  World's  Rainforests
           Red Bank, NJ: (908) 842-6030      Portland, OR: (503) 236-3031
                      Fax: (908) 747-7830      Email: relief@xxxxxxxxxxx
                             P.O. Box 281 * Red Bank, NJ 07701  USA