request for info on VOA/RFA

I'm a relatively new subscriber to burmanet, and am anxious to introduce
myself.  I also have a request for information.  First:

My name is Lisa Brooten, and I'm currently a graduate student at the
Center for International Studies at Ohio University.  I am studying
development, and am especially interested in Burma.

Before beginning my
grad work here in Ohio, I lived overseas for several years, and spent a
little over two years living and teaching among the Karen along the
Thai-Burmese border.  I have been back to visit several times since, most
recently visiting this past May when the DKBA cross-border attacks were
big news in Thailand and bad news for my friends there.  Here at Ohio
University, I have begun to meet with students and faculty interested in
Burma, and we are hoping to form a Burma Action group soon.  In the
meantime, we've been writing our Congressmen, and arranging for speakers
to come to campus to raise awareness.

I'm writing now with a request for information, though.  For one of my
classes, I'm looking at VOA's broadcasting (especially to Burma, but to
Asia in general, as well)  and also at the controversy surrounding the
establishment of Radio Free Asia.  I read with interest the "year in
review" posted a bit back on burmanet, especially the section about VOA
difficulties and the accusations of bias in programming.

Does anyone have suggestions about how I can get more detailed information?
I'd also be interested in interviewing people who could offer opinions
about VOA programming, its usefulness (either now or in the past, i.e.
1988 especially) and/or lack of usefulness.

I would welcome and appreciate any suggestions, and can be reached
directly at:

lb252689@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks very much for your time!

Lisa Brooten