Public Appearance of Top UN Officia

Subject: Public Appearance of Top UN Official in Washington, D.C.

To all Burma Watchers in Washington, D.C. area,

Mr. Alvaro de Soto, the UN Assistant Secretary-General for Political
Affairs, will be speaking at Johns Hopkins SAIS (1740 Massachusetts Avenue,
N.W.) from 12:30 - 2:00 on February 1, 1996.  de Soto has been closely
involved with the UN Secretary General's efforts to entice SLORC into a
dialogue with the National League for Democracy (so far with no success) and
this appearance offers a good chance to ask him about it during the question
and answer section which will follow his prepared remarks.  My view is that
it's rather difficult to expect SLORC to take the UN "hard line" from the
Secretary-General's office seriously when so many UN agencies are clamoring
to pump aid into the country and I hope to get some clarification on his
views on that.

The actual presentation will be in the Herter Room, which is on the ground
floor at the above-mentioned address.  Hope to see you there.

Cheers,

Phil Robertson