KHRG Report January 5, 1996

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 07:24:09 -0800

YE-TAVOY AREA UPDATE

An Independent Report by the Karen Human Rights Group
January 5, 1996     /     KHRG #96-01

PART 2 OF 2  -  SEE PART 1 IN A PREVIOUS POSTING

This report provides an update on some of the conditions existing
in the Ye-Tavoy area, with particular focus on the Ye-Tavoy railway
construction project.

THE NAMES OF ALL THOSE INTERVIEWED HAVE BEEN CHANGED, AND THE
FALSE NAMES ARE INDICATED BY ENCLOSING THEM IN QUOTES.
NOTE: SOME DETAILS IN THIS REPORT HAVE BEEN OMITTED OR
REPLACED WITH 'XXXX' FOR INTERNET DISTRIBUTION.

				#4.
NAME:   "Nai Thein Zar"   SEX: M    AGE: 28        Mon Buddhist farmer
FAMILY:  Married, 1 child aged 3
ADDRESS: XXXX village, Ye North township           INTERVIEWED: Dec 2/95

My village is XX miles from Ye [north of Ye].  My wife is still
in the village.  I heard news that my sister here [in the refugee
camp] is very ill so I came to see her.  It takes 3 days to walk
here, or 2 days for a man alone.  I arrived here today.  If there
is someone to travel with, I will go back tomorrow.

I am a farmer.  The SLORC is going to take 10 tins [about 160
kg.] of paddy for each acre from my farm.  We just got this news
before I came.  All farmers have to pay the same this year.  I
am already doing the harvest, but I have not finished yet.  I
have 3 acres, and I think I can get 100 tins of paddy from these
3 acres.  They will take 30 tins.  Last year I had to give them
2 tins ofpaddy per acre, so I had to pay them 6 tins.  Last year
at the beginning of rainy season before we planted, the Township
official came around to find paddy in our houses.  They took 3
tins by force and didn't pay anything, then I had to give SLORC
3 more tins.  They paid 70 Kyat per tin, so for 3 tins 210 Kyat.
 The leader from the big village of XXXX collected the paddy
and then he himself went to give it to the Army.  He takes it
to the train and the train goes to Moulmein or Thanbyuzayat, so
I don't know where it goes.  I only know we must give it to the
XXXX village leader, and he takes it to the train.  [Note:
this 500% increase in rice quotas (from 2 tins per acre to 10

tins per acre) is happening in the same year that SLORC is boasting
of a 500% increase in rice exports, from 265,000 tonnes to 1.2
million tonnes.  A severe rice shortage is sweeping the country
right now.]

This year they will pay us 70 Kyat per tin.  Last year in the
market I could sell it for 225 Kyat per tin.  Just before I came
here, I heard news from the market that it is now 410 Kyat per
tin.  Even though the rice is not ready yet, the merchants come
to the fields and offer us 410 Kyat.  It is the same in the market.
 [The merchants are clearly expecting the rice shortage to worsen
and prices to rise even higher.]  I have no idea why it is so
expensive this year.

To feed my family the rest [the 70 tins he gets to keep] should
be enough.  But I have to hire 2 bullocks to plough my field,
and I have to pay the bullock owner in paddy.  So after I pay
the paddy for the bullocks, I will not have enough rice left for
my family.  I will have to get some from my parents.  For farmers
who can't give the quota to SLORC, when SLORC comes they go away
and hide.  But later when SLORC catches them they have to pay,
so they must borrow paddy from others and give it to the SLORC.

They also make the villagers in our area grow vegetables around
the SLORC camp where they guard the bridge.  For each village,
5 people and 2 bullocks have to go.  They call us to their camp,
and around their camp they have a field.  It is a villagers' field.
 The owners are from Mon Hnin village.
 The SLORC took the field by force and the owners didn't dare
say anything.  We have to use the bullocks to plough the field,
and the people have to gather the grass and weeds and grow the
vegetables.  We have to go for 11 days each time, all the time
by turns.  From our village 5 people have to go, then 11 days
later 5 more people have to go.  There are about XX houses in
my village.  The other villages must also send people for 11 days.
 The Army Battalion is from Taunggyi.  Army #106 Battalion [LIB].
 Now they are growing chillies.  The other seeds haven't grown
yet so I don't know what they are.

Then 3 days ago they said we have to go work on the railway.
They had a meeting in the village, the village leader told us
about it.  The village leader told the Army if we have to go work
on the railway as well then that's 2 types of labour, so please
free us from growing the vegetables and then we can go work on
the railway.  If we have to do both, the burden on the people
is too heavy.  Then the monks said, "This is harvest time, and
the people are very busy.  They have to cut the paddy, so please
don't make them go now.  After the harvest they can go to the
railway."  The monks said if we have to go now, our paddy will
be destroyed.  But they didn't listen to the monks.  The monks
asked the village leader to go again and tell that to the Army.
 Before I came here, he went to talk to the Army, but I didn't
hear the result yet.  They won't listen.

The village leader told us that on the 9th day of this waxing
month on the Mon calendar we'd have to go to build the railway.
 That is today [Dec. 2].  I have been to the railway 2 times before,
the first time for 8 days and the second time for 2 days.  That
was at this time last year.  Last year every family had to go.
 This year also, every family has to go - for each family, one
person.  They didn't tell us where or for how long.  I have already
arranged things for my family by hiring one person to go for me.
 I had to pay him 700 Kyat.  Families who don't want to go have
to hire someone to go for them.  There are some people in my village
you can hire, and also if you go to the railway there are some
people there who need to make money and you can hire them.  This

time, people who have money will hire substitutes and then they
can reap their paddy.  Those who have no money, their rice will
be left in the field.  That is why the monks asked the Army to
let the people finish the harvest.  But the Army said to the monks,
"We won't stop it because this is a Government project and it
is by order."  The village leader told me they said that.  We
cannot disobey.  Everything is by force.  If I have no money,
I cannot stay in that area anymore.

The SLORC Army said, "Now we are working on this railway we won't
make any military operations, so don't be afraid of going as porters
or anything."  Before, all the people were afraid of being taken
as porters, but since the railway started they haven't been catching
porters.  But for the future, I don't know.  Before, we never
had to pay porter fees because the big village paid them, but
now they made  us pay 100 Kyat per house every month.  The village
leader says we will have to keep paying that in the future.
			       #5.
NAME:   "Nai Ong Mon"    SEX: M    AGE: 47      Mon Buddhist farmer
FAMILY:  Married, 6 children aged 9-19
ADDRESS: Taung Kon village, Ye Pyu township     INTERVIEWED:  Dec 2/95

I left my village about 15 days ago.  It took 4 days to come here
with my family [to the refugee camp].  We came because I cannot
go anymore to the railroad construction and I cannot afford to
pay the money they asked for.  Every month I had to pay 4,000
Kyat to the SLORC for porter fees and railroad construction fees.
 All families have to pay that much.

Our whole family had to work at the railway construction.  If
you have 3 people in your family then 3 people have to go, and
if you have 4 people then 4 people have to go.  People who cannot
work can rest.  We had to go once each month, and each time lasted
15 days.  You have to pay money if you cannot go.  It costs 4,000
Kyat.  If you cannot pay the money they arrest you to go and work
by force.  In our village no one was arrested, because every family
paid the money or went.  In our family, we have done both.  Whenever
we could, we went, and we paid the money only when we couldn't
go.  The last time we went was in September.  Our whole village
had to go.  I went with my 2 daughters.  They are 19 and 17 years
old.  I think more than 200 people from our village went that
time, 3 people from some families and 2 people from some families.
 There are about 200 houses in the village.  Our village is west
of Kywe Thone Nyi Ma [just north of the mouth of the Heinze Basin,
near the Andaman Sea coast about  50 km. south of Ye].  We had
to go and work near Ye Pyu [about 20 km. north of Tavoy along
the Tavoy River, at least an 80-km. journey from his village].
 It took us 2 days to get there.  We went by boat and by car.
 We ourselves had to hire the boat and the car to go to the construction!
 We also had to pack rice to eat at the construction.  The SLORC
didn't give anything.  Then after the construction we had to hire
a car ourselves to get us home.  Hiring the car cost us 300 Kyat
per person each way.  To go and return it cost us 1,800 Kyat altogether.

We were at the worksite 14 days each time.  Me, I had to dig earth.
 1,000 people had to dig 12 earth pits.  Then we had to carry
the dug earth to the railroad [embankment].  While I was digging,
my daughters were carrying the dirt.  Soldiers were guarding us.
 I saw about 3,000 forced labourers and about 40 soldiers.  That
was only in our section.  All the labourers were villagers.  They
divided the villagers into groups - some groups had 7 villages,
some had 9 villages, some had 6 villages.  We started working
at 8 a.m., stopped at 10 a.m., and then worked again from 1 p.m.
to 4 p.m.  Those were our working hours.  Any villagers who rested
during those hours were beaten with sticks, sometimes once, sometimes

twice.

We slept in our allotted place and made our own shelters.  It
was not a camp, each family just made their own shelter.  If you
had a shelter you could sleep in it, otherwise you have to sleep
in the rain.  We had to gather leaves to make a roof, but there
were no leaves to make a good roof for our shelters.  [September
is still monsoon season, when it rains almost constantly.  Proper
leaves for roofing are very difficult to get except in late dry
season, April-May.]  During working hours we had to work whether
it was raining or not.  When we built the embankment in the rain
it often collapsed.  When that happened, we had to dig and fill
it back in under the rain without resting.

We took along our own food to the work site.  They did not give
us anything.  If we didn't bring food along with us, we'd have
to starve.  We had to take our own tools that we needed.  We used
spades and hoes.  There were sick people.  They had to find medicine
for themselves.  The SLORC did not provide any kind of medicine.
 There were shops selling medicine at the work place.  I don't
know who owns them.  The SLORC didn't give any money to the sick
people to buy medicine, and when the sick people got better they
had to go back to work to finish their quota.

Q:  I have heard that now SLORC is giving money to people who
do labour in some places.