Kopie von: THE MONG TAI ARMY STRIKE

Subject: Kopie von: THE MONG TAI ARMY STRIKES A DEAL WITH SLORC

Antwort:	Kopie von: THE MONG TAI ARMY STRIKES A DEAL WITH SLORC

Von:	SHAN<H.NG.P  SPM, 100706,1311
An:	strider, Internet: strider@xxxxxxxxxxx

Datum:	05.01.1996 01:41

Antwort:	Kopie von: THE MONG TAI ARMY STRIKES A DEAL WITH SLORC

S.H.A.N : THE MONG TAI ARMY STRIKES A DEAL WITH SLORC
January 3 , 1996

After several behind- the-scenes talks with SLORC, the strongest opposition army
of the Shans has reportedly agreed to give up its 38-year-long armed struggle
against the successive Burmese governments that have been in power since
annexing the once self-ruled Shan State in 1952, according to reports received
by S.H.A.N. during the past few weeks.

Soon after the Central Executive Committee of the Shan State Restoration Council
proposed dialogue on 12 September, negotiations were secretly conducted between
the two once sworn enemies. " It may probably work out in favour for both
parties : one, the SLORC, is badly in need of a better image in order to please
the world, especially the US and also to concentrate all its available resources
on their remaining opponent - Aung San Suu Kyi ; the other one, the  MTA with
special emphasis on Khun Sa, totally suffocated by its negative media image, is
desperate for a breathing space and fresh air, " as one inside source put it.

Though the details have yet to be worked out between them, the main agreement
seems to be that the MTA shall henceforth be a " surrender group " in contrast
to the " ceasefire groups " which have so far come to terms with SLORC.

In accordance with the preliminary agreements, the SLORC demanded confirmation
from the CEC and Khun Sa at a face-to-face meeting. Understandably, since Khun
Sa could not travel outside the Free Territory, the Burmese were instead invited
to the MTA's stronghold in  Ho Mong . The  Burmese then decided they wanted a
hostage to ensure the safety of their delegation. In response to this, Zao Khun
seng, Khun Sa's uncle, was sent to the Burmese capital on December 18, which
paved the way for Rangoon's visit to Ho Mong on December 30.

The " 9-man delegation " to Ho Mong was headed by Lt.- Col. San Pwint of the
SLORC's powerful Military Intelligence. It later turned out that his was only a
vanguard team coming to make arrangements for the main delegation that arrived
in Ho Mong on January 2 . S.H.A.N. however is still unable to find out who has
been included in this 17-man delegation.

As for reports about the rebel capital being occupied by the Burmese troops, the
MTA has flatly denied this. " These troops have come only to guard their
superiors. Everything will be discussed and agreed between the two sides before
anything is imposed on the local populace.They shall be able to continue their
lives in the area the way they have done during the past ten years since the MTA
took it from the Kuomintang in 1985. What we are going to do is not to put a
stop to what is being done here, but only to facilitate everything."

So what about Khun Sa's declaration of Independence in 1993? Has it gone down
the drain ? " I don't think anything I say right now will convince people
anyway. So why don't we wait until our nerves have settled back to normal, "
said the CEC member.

S.H.A.N. asked Khuensai Jaiyen, former MTA spokesman, for his opinion : " All I
can say now is that I regret what has happened but I sympathize with those
responsible. I believe they have done what they regard is the best thing they
could do for the people at present. But I don't think it was the right thing to
do. Let's hope I'm wrong, because I'm out of the movement now. " He says he will
devote his time to the Kornzurng Memorial Society, which he co-founded in early
December.
end.