National Convention Address by Myo

Date: Sat, 2 Dec 1995 21:26:12 -0800
Subject: National Convention Address by Myo Nyunt

NATIONAL CONVENTION CHAIRMAN ADDRESSES TO THE
OPENING SESSION OF THE NATIONAL CONVENTION AND TO
A SUBSEQUENT MEETING ABOUT THE OPPOSITION BOYCOTT

EXCERPTS FROM THE TEXT OF THE ADDRESS BY LT-GEN MYO NYUNT,
CHAIRMAN OF THE NATIONAL CONVENTION, TO THE OPENING
SESSION OF NATIONAL CONVENTION

November 28, 1995

 Excerpts from address by Lt-Gen Myo Nyunt, Burmese minister of religious
affairs and chairman of the National Convention Convening Commission, to the
National Convention plenary session on 28th November, in which he reviews the
current political situation and outlines the objectives and agenda of the
National Convention; broadcast by Burmese TV:

   Esteemed National Convention delegates: I am very happy to see such solid
attendance by the National Convention delegates, who are in good health and look
happy, at today's National Convention plenary session. I extend my warm welcome
to you all. The National Convention delegates, our National Convention Convening
Commission NCCC , the National Convention Convening Work Committee NCCWC , and
the National Convention Management Committee NCCMC have cooperated at this
National Convention and have made considerable achievements. We are working at
the National Convention to obtain the basic principles for drafting a state
constitution. We are not drafting a new constitution; after the basic principles
are fully obtained, preparations will be in place to draft a new constitution...

   Review of the situation in Burma

   An objective review of the situation in Burma shows the vast differences
between the past and present. From the former system of leadership under a
single-party system, we are marching towards a multiparty system. From the
former centralized economic system, we are beginning to develop a market
economy. From the period of assorted insurgencies, we are gaining momentum in
striving towards national reconsolidation. We now have the responsibility of
strengthening and safeguarding unity and peace.

   We now have 10 political parties. Moreover, we now have many indigenous
groups working for national development since their return to the legal fold.
Under these unique circumstances, it has become necessary for us to develop
principles and procedures to avoid extremes in flexibility in order to ensure
the development of the genuine multiparty system we aspire to. No one disputes
or dislikes our goal -the emergence of a democratic nation. We may have a common
goal, but we must avoid the mistake of being too earnest about reaching our
goal.

   Objectives

   Delegates, the six objectives of the National Convention reflect the thinking
and policy I have just mentioned. The objectives are:
1. Nondisintegration of the Union;
2. Nondisintegration of national unity;
 3. Perpetuation of national sovereignty;
4. Promotion of a genuine multiparty democracy;
5. Promotion of the universal principles of justice, liberty and equality;
and
6. Participation by the Defence Services in a national political leadership
role in the future state.

   We have a duty to implement these objectives unwaveringly...

   In accordance with the lawful delegation to the NCCC by the State Law and
Order Restoration Council SLORC , we formed the NCCWC and gave it suitable
assignments. The NCCC drafted the procedures for the National Convention and
made these procedures public on 2nd January 1993. The NCCC prescribed these
procedures in accordance with the powers prescribed in Section 5-C of Order No
13/92 of the SLORC. The objective and nature of the National Convention
procedures are aimed at the success of the convention and systematic and free
discussion.. .

   We are holding a convention of the highest standard and prestige in
Myanmar. It is a sustained endeavour. This endeavour should be recorded in the
annals of the history of Myanmar. It is absolutely necessary to have and to
follow precise and sound regulations and procedures for this undertaking, in
which political parties, class and mass organizations and national races are
participating in systematic discussions, submissions and the compilation of
relevant facts. It is a noble tradition that every cultured and disciplined
society should uphold with discipline, methodology, respect and prestige.
Although we need not have exact discipline in exchanging pleasantries outside,
all delegates are aware of the need to have adequate discipline and methodology
at the National Convention.

   We have successfully held the National Convention with the full attendance of
delegate groups since its inception on 9th January 1993 ...

   Delegates, we are currently discussing the three major chapter headings
related to the legislature, administration and judiciary. We need to prescribe
basic principles in detail regarding these three chapter headings. Delegate
groups are to submit their reports on these chapter headings. The delegates
themselves are aware of the freedom given to them in preparing these reports.
There are no page and time limitation imposed upon them in preparing these
reports...

   The drafting process may be long, as many factors in the interests of the
nation and the people must be seriously considered. While we are holding the
National Convention, people throughout the nation are expressing their support
for the convention. Delegates are probably aware that 4 million people
participated in public rallies held in 26 major towns in January 1994. They
honoured and expressed their support for the National Convention...

   What this shows is the need for the emergence of a state constitution not
just in name, but a lasting constitution. The people do not want a constitution
that represents the interests of just one party. It also shows the people's
aspirations and recognition of the importance of the National Convention, which
is being held with the participation of people from all strata of society and
political parties to obtain the basic principles to draft a lasting
constitution.

   Review of changes in the political system

   Delegates, the course of the history of Myanmar has changed since 1988. The
basic political system as well as the basic economic system have changed. It
will be necessary to cooperate patiently in paving the way for a gradual change
to the multiparty system. I need not elaborate further on the fact that there is
much bloodshed and destruction in European countries where the political system
has changed abruptly. We have already exposed wicked plans to seize power
through the use of force following the 1988 events. The BCP Burma Communist
Party planned to capture Keng Tung, Lashio, Mandalay, and eventually Rangoon
after their seizure of Mong Yang. The plan even led to the presence of a naval
fleet of a major country in Myanmar's waters. We were able to expose the
conspiracy to relate the armed struggle in urban and rural areas to the
political struggle. A similar situation prevailed in the southeast region, where
military activities were stepped up following threats against major towns. These
were brazen, even to the extent that bombs were set off at the Rangoon City
Hall.

   Had we not been able to control the situation in 1988, the situation in
Myanmar today would be worse than the deteriorating situation in some European
countries. We were able to neutralize the threats that emerge during times of
change in systems and eras and establish stability, law and order. As everyone
knows, we were able to achieve outstanding success in our efforts towards
national reconsolidation due to farsightedness and pure goodwill. Therefore we
all have a responsibility to value and uphold the successes achieved so far and
the momentum of success of the National Convention. The SLORC will in no way
allow these successes to be diminished and will not allow any group to destroy
or disrupt the National Convention - a national political procedure. We are all
aware that the entire populace, including the Defence Services, have high
expectations for the National Convention. Therefore, I would like to urge the
esteemed delegates to cooperate with the NCCC, the NCCWC, and the NCCMC for the
success of the National Convention.

   Our goal is the accomplishment of the fourth political objective - the
establishment of a new, modern and developed nation in accordance with the new
state constitution. We have vowed to achieve this goal with determination,
diligence and courage. There can be no person in any strata of life, including
the national races residing in the country, who does not like or favour the
political objectives - stability of the state, community peace and tranquillity
and the prevalence of law and order, national reconsolidation, the emergence of
a new and enduring state constitution and the establishment of a new, modern and
developed nation.

   The inevitable goal for Myanmar is the full and successful implementation of
the four political objectives, the four economic objectives and the four social
objectives prescribed by the state. There is no other goal apart from this. This
is a crucial time for the united participation of the entire populace for the
successful implementation of the political, economic and social objectives. The
National Convention plays a vital role in this development process. Therefore
the success of the National Convention will be the catalyst for the emergence of
the state constitution. The emergence of the state constitution is the
fundamental catalyst for the emergence of a genuine multiparty system. There can
be no result without a catalyst.

   Delegates, we and the esteemed delegates have been able to prescribe the
basic principles for the first three chapters - the principles on the state,
state structure and head of state - from among the 15 chapters agreed upon after
thorough discussion in line with the six national convention objectives. Next,
proposals to prescribe the basic principles for the three chapter headings - the
legislature, administration and judiciary - will be discussed and presented. We
will all have to pay attention to the presentation of various proposals by the
delegates. Then, in accord with the procedures of the National Convention, the
NCCWC will prescribe the basic principles after careful scrutiny of the
comprehensive reports presented by the Panels of Chairmen of the delegate
groups.

   I conclude by earnestly urging coordination and cooperation in prescribing
the basic principles.

NATIONAL CONVENTION CHAIRMAN ADDRESSES MEETING ON
OPPOSITION BOYCOTT November 29, 1995

Text of address by Lt-Gen Myo Nyunt, minister of religious affairs and
chairman of the National Convention Convening Commission NCCC , at the plenary
session of the National Convention held on 29th November, condemning the
opposition's boycott of the session; broadcast on Burmese TV

   Esteemed National Convention delegates:

   The ongoing National Convention has adopted six objectives - the
non-disintegration of the union, the non-disintegration of national solidarity,
the perpetuation of national sovereignty, the emergence of a genuine multiparty
system, the promotion of the lawkapala principles of justice, liberty and
equality, and the participation of the defence services in the national
political leadership role of the future state -and the delegates from eight
groups have worked together in the discussions, have presented reports and
participated in prescribing the basic principles. I have also briefly explained
the achievements gained to date as a result of our cooperation. In my address, I
have expressed the importance of the National Convention from various angles and
the need for cooperation and patience for a smooth change to a multiparty
democracy system in our country. Although I forewarned about the change, I have
seen that the delegates from the National League for Democracy NLD have not
attended the National Convention, giving preference to their party's objectives
rather than the National Convention's. Their main reason for this is the
non-mention of a meeting between the State Law and Order Restoration Council
SLORC and the NLD in my speech yesterday.

   Delegates, our National Convention has adopted concise objectives and is
working to adopt basic principles for the future state. A political party's
intention to meet with the SLORC is not relevant to the National Convention. It
does not comply with the National Convention's duties. But the NLD's wrongful
action which gives preference to the party's concerns without regard to the
National Convention undermines the convention. In our pursuit of the development
of the country, the emergence of a multiparty system and upholding the three
national causes, there is no reason to abandon the noble objectives and
procedures of the National Convention just because a single political party has
boycotted it. We would like to state clearly that we will continue with the
esteemed delegates and complete the National Convention while safeguarding the
fruits of our achievement.

   NLD's breach of discipline explained, condemned

   Delegates, because of unavoidable circumstances, I would like to explain the
NLD's breach of discipline and conduct regarding matters that were agreed
beforehand. During the preliminary meetings held from 23rd June to 10th July
1992, NLD Chairman U Aung Shwe discussed and approved the participation of
delegates from political parties, elected representatives, national races,
peasants, workers, technocrats and intelligentsia, civil service personnel and
other special invitees. Since they agreed with the selection, NLD Delegate
Leader Aung Shwe and NLD delegates were with us even up to yesterday.

   During this period Daw Suu Kyi, who was held under house arrest for national
security reasons, was released on 10th July 1995. This person, just after her
release, held interviews with local and foreign journalists and her attitudes
towards the National Convention came out. In her interview with 35 journalists
on 12th July she noted that the National Convention is so only in name and that
she had no objections to it. She said she would hold talks with her colleagues
and issue a press release. In her interview with foreign journalists on 14th
July, she said she did not like the way the National Convention has been carried
out and that many things needed to be changed and should be changed. At another
interview with local and foreign reporters on 24th July 1995, she noted that the
NLD is still a legal political party and cannot undermine its unity, but that
some differences in opinion do exist. For example, Aung Shwe attended the
National Convention from the very beginning and he is still attending, so we
have differences of opinion here; this expresses her attitude towards the
National Convention. She told Japanese reporters on 9th September 1995 that
there would be a press release concerning the National Convention. In viewing
these facts, it can be seen that her opposition to the National Convention
emerged soon after her release from house arrest. This is evident by her
premeditated ill-will to destroy the National Convention. It can be seen that
her views on the National Convention were issued on 22nd November 1995. In that
statement, she criticized the procedures and discussions of the National
Convention and noted that national reconciliation could not be achieved and
genuine democracy could not emerge and we would not get the constitution that
the people desired if the current procedures were continued.

   Suu Kyi's stance strengthened by talks with Madeleine Albright

   While she was criticizing the National Convention, Miss Madeleine Albright,
US ambassador to the United Nations, arrived on 9th September 1995 and held
private talks with her. Since then, she has taken a stronger stance against the
National Convention. Miss Albright herself, in her interview with reporters in
Bangkok, Thailand, said she had pressured the Burmese government to hold talks
with Suu Kyi. She also revealed that she learned from Suu Kyi that Suu Kyi does
not recognize the National Convention and it has no political essence.

   Just a day before the National Convention Plenary Session, on 27th November
1995, the NLD demanded the National Convention's opinion and answer as to
whether their demand for a meeting would be approved. They also demanded that
the reply be made no later than 28th November and sent the letter to U Aung Toe,
chairman of the National Convention Convening Work Committee.

   NLD's premeditated ill will

   Delegates, the National Convention did not begin recently. In fact, it began
on 9th January 1993 with step-by-step systematic discussions on chapter
headings, the presentation of proposals and the prescription of basic principles.
 The esteemed delegates must have heard that during this period the
NLD delegates presented thousands of proposal papers. In their proposals, the
NLD agreed with some proposals, presented some suggestions, and had some
disagreements. Although there had been coordination and cooperation among the
delegate groups, as I mentioned before, the NLD has abruptly changed its
attitude. In analysing the NLD's change in attitude, the basic principles
achieved by the National Convention do not agree with the aspiration of the
political party to cancel the principles, reorganize the convention with
delegates of their choice in order to prescribe their own principles, prescribe
convention procedures to suit their purposes, or call for a meeting to propose
these changes. These demands are seen as an act of premeditated ill will to
destroy the successes achieved by the National Convention so far.

   Delegates, I conclude by urging the esteemed delegates who are present to
work together for the successful completion of the National Convention with a
view to benefiting the country and the people.