ABSDF: STATEMENT ON THE SLORC DEPUT

Subject: ABSDF: STATEMENT ON THE SLORC DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER VISITS THAILAND

				ABSDF
		ALL BURMA STUDENTS' DEMOCRATIC FRONT

      STATEMENT ON THE SLORC DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER VISITS THAILAND
 							November 14, 1995

The Deputy Prime Minister of the Slorc military government of Burma will visit
Thailand today. The visit follows hot on that of Thailand's foreign minister, Kasem
Kasemsri to Rangoon and opens the way for a planned trip to Burma by Thai Prime
Minister Banharn.

Relations between Burma and Thailand have been strained since the beginning of the
year due to a series of incidents on the border and between Thai and Burmese
nationals and we understand the desire of the Royal Thai Government to maintain
peaceful and friendly relationship with all of its neighbours. We would like to urge
caution, however, in terms of what kind of friendly relations can be built between the
democratically elected Government of Thailand and the Burmese military junta. This
military regime is, after all, the most brutal in Southeast Asia with a record of human
rights violations second only to that of the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia.

We urge caution since, on the one hand, there is no sign that Thailand's constructive
engagement policy towards the Slorc has produced any significant move towards
democratisation in Burma while, on the other hand, the Slorc continues to treat its
neighbour, Thailand, with the same high-handed lack of respect with which it treats
its own citizens.

On behalf of the people of Burma, we the ABSDF urge the Royal Government of
Thailand to pursue relations with the Burma in accordance with the assumption that a
democratically elected government will emerge in Burma in the very near future and
to support the people of Burma in their efforts to restore democracy to Burma.

We appeal to the Royal Thai Government to make use of very contact it has with the
Slorc to urge the military junta to:

1. Unconditionally release from prison student leader Min Ko Naing and all other
political prisoners;

2. Cancel all unjust laws, in particular those which restrict the freedom of Burma's
citizens;

3. Abolish the sham National Convention, and

4. Open dialogue with the democratic forces led by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi and
leaders of ethnic nationalities in order to bring national reconciliation, democracy and
peace to Burma.

Central Leading Committee
ABSDF
Headquarters, 88 Camp

	For more information: Please contact Zaw Min_Joint-Secretary of
			   Foreign Affairs, ABSDF