Press release: Follow up.

By David Horne

Campus Contact
Indiana Campaign for A Free Burma

BLOOMINGTON, Indiana-- With posters stapled about the town, proclaiming
INTERNATIONAL FREE BURMA ACTION DAY, the protest began.  During the
three-hour protest in front of the local Pepsi plant at least 50
supporters came to voice their disapproval of the American company's
involvement with a military dictatorship in Burma.  The protest gained
local press coverage with a color photo in the next days city paper.  The
participants used the event to educate as well.  With flyers and
newspaper articles they armed the passerbys with the truth.

The response was overwhelmingly positive.  Many drivers who were just
passing through the busy intersection wanted to know more.  Traffic
backed up as students stood by the cars to explain what was happening.
Even a few of the Pepsi truck drivers gave some thumbs up to protestors.
Some citizens would pull up beside the road to find out more.  A few
hecklers drove by shouting and acting undignified, but this is to be
expected with any protest.  The small amount of negative feeling only
motivated the protestors more to educate and wipe out the ignorance that
exists in the United States regarding the Burma problem.

Protest organizers have deemed October 27 a huge success at least in
Bloomington.  Thankfully the weather was warm so the turnout was at its
peak and community reception was at its best.  We passed around and
signed a letter to the PepsiCo CEO to be sent out according to the goals
of the Action Day.  Campaign for a Free Burma in Bloomington, Indiana
would like to take this moment especially to thank all those who helped,
from the Wisconsin crew whom we modeled our fliers and press release
after, to Amnesty International and Community Labor Action group whom
sent members to participate in the protest, and especially to all those
who are still in Burma who are on the front line fighting for their very
existence.  We commend all of you, the Freedom Fighters, who are not
afraid to come out of your comfort zones and stand for what is right and
noble.  From the letter writer to the politician, from the activist to
the armed soldier, from the educator to the leaders; we declare
International Free Burma Day a critical yet successful point in this
movements history.