BurmaNet News: October 29, 1995 #26

Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 16:52:04 -0800
Subject: BurmaNet News: October 29, 1995 #265

------------------------ BurmaNet ------------------------
"Appropriate Information Technologies, Practical Strategies"

The BurmaNet News: October 29, 1995
Issue #265

Noted in Passing:
"I'm concerned that a certain country in this region is still
spending a huge budget on building up its arms which we are
concerned about. - Thai Defense Minister Chavalit Yongchaiyudh,
in reference to Burma.  (quoted in: NATION: CHINA TELLS
CHAVALIT AID TO BURMA ENDED)

HEADLINES:
==========
NMSP: NAI SHWE KYIN'S SPEECH TO THE SLORC IN RANGOON
INDEPENDENT REPORT: REPORT FROM INDIA
ISBDA: NICHIMEN OF JAPAN TO COOPERATE SLORC IN AGRICULTURE
ISBDA: JAPAN TO HELP SLORC  IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
INDEPENDENT LETTER: IMF SUPPORT FOR SLORC
ASAHI EVENING NEWS: JAPAN TO RESTORE AID TO BURMA
INDEPENDENT REPORT: TOUR TO BURMA
INDEPENDENT LETTER: RE: TIME MAGAZINE PERSON OF THE YEAR
NATION: CHINA TELLS CHAVALIT AID TO BURMA ENDED
NATION: THIRTY RELEASED EARLY FROM BURMESE PRISON
BKK POST: BURMA ALSO TO BLAME FOR RIVER ENCROACHING
**************************************

Produced with the support of the Burma Information Group (B.I.G)
and the Research Department of the ABSDF {MTZ}

The BurmaNet News is an electronic newspaper covering Burma.
Articles from newspapers, magazines, newsletters, the wire
services and the Internet as well as original material are published.

The BurmaNet News is e-mailed directly to subscribers and is
also distributed via the soc.culture.burma and seasia-l
mailing lists and is also available via the reg.burma
conference on the APC networks. For a free subscription to
the BurmaNet News, send an e-mail message to: majordomo@xxxxxxxxxxx

In the body of the message, type "subscribe burmanet-l"
(without quotation marks) Letters to the editor, comments or
contributions of articles should be sent to the editor at: strider@xxxxxxxxxxx

INFORMATION ABOUT BURMA VIA THE WEB AND GOPHER:
Information about Burma is available via the WorldWideWeb at:

FreeBurmaWWW http://sunsite.unc.edu/freeburma/freeburma.html
[including back issues of the BurmaNet News as .txt files]
BurmaWeb:  http://www.uio.no/tormodl

Burma fonts: http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/~lka/burmese-fonts/moe.html

Ethnologue Database(Myanmar):

http://www-ala.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rap/Ethnologue/eth.cgi/Myanmar

TO ACCESS INFORMATION ABOUT BURMA VIA GOPHER:

 gopher csf.colorado.edu.

Look under the International Political Economy section, then
select Geographic Archive, then Asia, then Burma.
BURMANET SUBJECT-MATTER RESOURCE LIST

BurmaNet regularly receives enquiries on a number of different
topics related to Burma. If you have questions on any of the
following subjects, please direct email to the following volunteer
coordinators, who will either answer your question or try to put you
in contact with someone who can:

Arakan/Rohingya/Burma-	Michael W. Charney: GoMaha@xxxxxxx
Bangladesh Border
Campus activism: 	tlandon@xxxxxxx
Boycott campaigns: [Pepsi]   wcsbeau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Buddhism:                    Buddhist Relief Mission:  brelief@xxxxxxx
Chin history/culture:        plilian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fonts:                  		tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
History of Burma:            zni@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Kachin history/culture:      74750.1267@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Karen history/culture: 	Karen Historical Society: 102113.2571@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mon history/culture:         [volunteer needed]
Naga history/culture: 	Wungram Shishak:  z954001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Burma-India border            [volunteer needed]
Pali literature:            	 "Palmleaf":  c/o burmanet@xxxxxxxxxxx
Shan history/culture:        [volunteer needed]
Shareholder activism:       simon_billenness@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tourism campaigns:      	bagp@xxxxxxxxxx     "Attn. S.Sutcliffe"
World Wide Web:              FreeBurma@xxxxxxxxx
Volunteering:           	christin@xxxxxxxxxx

[Feel free to suggest more areas of coverage]

************************

NMSP: NAI SHWE KYIN'S SPEECH TO THE SLORC IN RANGOON
August 30, 1995

The Speech of Nai Shwe Kyin, President of the New Mon State Party,
at the Ministry of Border Development in Rangoon
August 30, 1995

(Nai Shwe Kyin orally translated his speech from Burmese to English, and
I transcribed his translation.  Any errors are my mistake. - Christina Fink)

Respected senior general Khin Nyunt, all other members of the State Law
and Order Restoration Council, and ministers and officers of your respective
ministries:

For eternal peace in the country, for the development of the country into a
modern state, and for reconciliation in the whole country, we have come here
to meet with the officers of the State Law and Order Restoration Council.

During the Thaton, Suwannaphumi, and Pagan periods and again today, we
Mon and Burman brethren have worked together.  We have jointly struggled
for the existence of our country.  We have both inherited Buddhism, which
came from India 2000 years ago, and together we have spread it all over the
country.  United through Buddhism, we have experienced good and bad together.
During the latter part of our history, in the Hongsawaddy, Toungoo, Ava, and
Konbaung dynasties, the Mon and the Burmans became less united because
of the ambitions of Mon and Burman kings.

In 1885, we became a colony under imperialist rule.  Refusing to be dominated
by the colonial powers, we fought together against the imperialists.  Mon
anti-imperialist leaders include a rich man by the name of Nai Auk, who
struggled against the British in the Irrawaddy inland waterways, and he also
used his riches to built pagodas and other religious structures for Buddhism.
Another, Thammada Chit Hlaing, set up a petroleum factory in Thilohwa to
compete with the British Oil Company, which ended up resulting in his
bankruptcy. He was also known as Wathanu U Chit Lyne, and his name was
known all over the country when he worked as a national leader.  Before
World War II, he even became the chairman of the legislative council.

During the period of rebellion against the imperialist powers, when
the Thirty Comrades fought against the British and the Japanese, thousands
of Mon worked together with the Burmans.  After independence in 1948,
even though other nationalities were accorded their respective rights, the
Mon were not.  So because of dissatisfaction from that time onwards, the
Mon have had to engage in a civil war in Burma for nearly half a century.
We brethren have had to fight against each other.

Just as good citizens from our side were lost, so the Burmese Army also
lost several lives because of the civil war.  The people countrywide
suffered too, and development in the country has stagnated.  That is why
all the people wanted this abominable civil war to stop so that they might
achieve lasting peace.  They were longing for peace, and we should not
leave a legacy of war to posterity.

To upgrade the quality of life for the people and to serve them again, we
should sacrifice our selfishness together with our parties'' narrow interests.
And we should respect the wishes of the people rather than the interests
of individuals and political parties.

Instead of resolving our differences through arms, we should resolve them
through a dialogue in which we have equal status.  The international
community demands that we two groups meet together to bring about
peace in the country instead of continuing to fight with weapons.  That is
why on June 29, the New Mon State Party and the SLORC came to a
successful cease-fire agreement.

We should forget all the losses suffered on both sides.  We should forgive
each other.  We should stop hating and start loving each other.  We should
treat each other as brothers again.

With our reconciliation we should endeavor to develop our country.  The
world today is also looking forward to the end of armed conflict and the
expansion of economic development.  We should rebuild the country so
that it is economically independent and can be accepted in the international
community as one of the progressive countries.  Only with a modernized
open-market economy can we raise the standard of living of the people.

Because ours is a country of many nationalities, the unity of all these
ethnic nationalities is very important.  We should work from the
basic principle of the equality of all brethren so that we can build up a
true union.  Only after a brotherhood of equality has been established
can a true union be built.

We should not pride ourselves for being in the majority instead of
the minority or being part of stronger rather than weaker groups.  We should
give up all these attitudes.  Instead we should follow the Burmese saying
that the crow and the wild pheasant respect each other.  We should adopt
that attitude and put love first.  We must not destroy our nest, but find a
way to go on living together.

I would like to relate an experience I had.  In 1992, I went to the Moral
Re-armament Association Conference in Switzerland.  Switzerland is
united into a federation with more than 20 cantons.  In that country
there are four official languages: German, French, Italian, and a native
language mixed with Latin.  At that conference, a professor from a
Swiss university came and gave a lecture.  He said, "my country is a
small country, but we have 4 official languages.  Is that too much?"
He explained that the three former languages are quite stable, but the
native language is used less and less, so now the Swiss government
has to actively support it so that it doesn't die out.  Because the
government is looking after that language, it is still alive.

In our country, we should adapt what they've been doing in Switzerland.
We shouldn't copy their policies exactly, but we should adapt them
to the situation in our country.  I urge that we preserve the various
languages, cultures, and literatures of our country just like the
progressive countries of the world are doing.

Even though we Mon have a long history of having our own language,
literature, and culture, because we don't have the privilege of developing
them, they are lagging behind other languages and other people.  We Mon
haven't received our due rights under the previous governments.  Only
in 1974 did the Mon State come into existence.  Only then were the Mon
recognized as a separate people.

Former governments failed to stop the armed conflict, and it has only
been during the SLORC period that this cease-fire agreement was able to
be reached.  The realization of this cease-fire has been gladly welcomed not
only by the NMSP, but also by other armed organizations and other political
parties as well as the monks and the people.  To retain our sovereignty, the
unity of all ethnic groups is the primary objective.  Only after that can peace
and tranquillity, an open market, and regional development materialize.

The negative effect of the armed conflict has been that our country's progress
has been slowed down.  To rebuild our country, we must take 10 steps forward
for every one step that other peoples take, so that we can catch up with them.
We should try our hardest, both physically and spiritually.

I have full confidence in the SLORC, so on behalf of the Mon people and the
New Mon State Party, I have come to meet the head of SLORC and
the SLORC leaders.

To attain harmony among all the ethnic nationalities, the New Mon
State Party will try its best to encourage them to accept cease-fire agreements.
I strongly believe that if the SLORC, together with all the other
ethnic groups and other political parties can sit together and discuss possible
solutions, we can surely find a workable policy for the future of our union.

In conclusion, in order to have very warm relations between all ethnic groups,
to ensure the longevity of our sovereignty, to uplift the standard of living
of the people, and to rebuild our country into a moral and progressive nation,
the New Mon State Party will work together with the State Law and Order
Restoration Council to the best of its abilities.  With that, I conclude my speech.

Thank you all very much.

*****************************

INDEPENDENT REPORT: REPORT FROM INDIA
October 27, 1995

Nonviolence International funded by the National Endowment for Democracy
sent Bob Helvey, Dr. Vum Son and myself to India to respond to the request
of pro-democracy groups for a course in nonviolent struggle.

We taught a 14 day course in late September and early October which was
attended by 80 participants. Participants came from a large spectrum of
the anti-SLORC groups including:
NLD/LA
NCGUB
ABSL- All Burma Students League
ABSDF (Western Border)
Chin Liberation Organization
Chin United Movement
Chin National Front
Overseas Chin Organization
Arakan Students Congress
All Burma Young Monks Union (Arakan)
All Burma Young Monks Union
Arakan League for Democracy
Kachin Student Congress
Federation of Trade Union, Burma (Western Border)
WRWAB-Women's Group
Independent Students and people

The number of groups is an indication of the growing strength of the
anti-SLORC forces.  Demonstrating in New Delhi is as easy as
demonstrating in Washington, DC.  On Sept 18, 1995, 80 Burmese
demonstrated on the streets near the Burmese embassy.  The police
were most cooperative and blocked off a major road to allow the one
hour demonstration.  Burmese are not hassled, jailed, or extorted by
the Indian authorities as they are in other countries such as Thailand.
 The course was held in New Delhi where a few hundred Burmese live.

A number of new initiatives are worthy of notice.
1) The Committee for Nonviolent Action in Burma.
This is the first coalition of groups in India. It will facilitate and
coordinate activities on the border and inside Burma in support of Aung
San Suu Kyi.  All of the major groups participate.=20

2) The Computer Coordinating Committee, made up of a coalition of groups
which will coordinate computer and internet resources.

3)The Chin National Council, formed a New Delhi chapter at a meeting of
about 50 people.  Swedish, German, US, and other chapters are in
formation.

4) The Chin Student Congress formed with more than 40 students attending
an opening congress.

5) A number of working committees of the Committee for Nonviolent Action
in Burma have been set up including a refugee committee, (there are 40,000
Chin refugees in Mizoram), a boycott Pepsi committee, a lobbying
committee, and an artists/musicians/poets group.

There are conflicts between the different pro-democracy groups in India.
This is quite normal and OK. They all support Aung San Suu Kyi.  The
biggest changes going on is the increased communication and cooperation
between the Chin groups and the Burmans.  This is what SLORC most fears.

Forced labor and many forms of onerous taxation and restrictions continue
in western Burma.  Ethnic Burman have been moved into the Chin Hills as a
provocative attempt at Burmanization.  Border trade increases but not
greatly.

Indian authorities are less friendly when dealing with the CNF, the NUPA,
National United Party of Arakan, or the Arakan Liberation Party, ALP.
These groups have armed units along the border and have been accused of
cooperating with Indian (and Bangladesh) insurgent groups.  India tortured
and killed a few CNF leaders this April.

India is seen as the best ally for the pro-democracy movement because of
the concerns that Burma will increasingly become a client state of China
and that a democratic government in Burma will be good for India's
interests. My experience there leads me to the same conclusion.

Burmese activists in India need resources. Money, computers, and more
money. They deserve the kind of support we have given the Thai side.

Michael Beer
mbeer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

*****************************

ISBDA: JAPAN TO HELP SLORC  IN INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
October 26, 1995

Japanese Business and Technology newspaper 'Nikkan Kogyo Shimbun'
reported today that Japanese government is planning to help the Burmese
military regime through a pseudo-governmental body named 'Kokusai Johoka Kyoryoku Senta'
(Center for International Cooperation in Communication) CICC.

According to the report, the Center guides various projects on
modernization of communication structures in the countries of  Asia, Middle
East and Latin America regions through their governments.

As preliminary work has been done in Tokyo, CICC will send its
representatives to Burma for hearing (interviewing) and opinion exchanges
with  the military-controlled government agencies. After these visits, CICC
will send  Japanese experts to Burma to give technical seminars and also to
set collaborative  research programs for implementation of the proposed
projects. The plan also includes categorical acceptance of technical
trainees sent by SLORC,  opening of technical seminars in Burma, and
offering hi-tech instruments required by the government agencies.

Although the report did not mention the name and total cost of project, it
is expected that  to power-up SLORCÕs intelligence branches, the CICC will
offer the regime a duplicate of the 'IT2000 Program' designed for increase of
computer facilities like those which are used by the Government of Vietnam.

***************

ISBDA: NICHIMEN OF JAPAN TO COOPERATE SLORC IN AGRICULTURE
October 27, 1995 (abridged)

Nichimen's president Mr. Akira Watari and his group are planning to see
SLORC leaders in  November.  Although the details prepared for the closed-door
meeting are not  available, it is expected to make agreements for trade and
investment in Burma.

Japanese giants such as Marubeni, Mitsui & Co, Mitsubishi Shoji, Nissho
Iwai and Sumitomo Shoji have recently signed agreements  to work  with the
military government  in Burma. All these conducts followed after Japanese
government's encouragement  in February to do business with SLORC by
issuing insurance policies for Japan money to be invested in Burma.

It is important to note here that the Japanese business watchdog body has
decided this week to punish all these trading houses to return a total of
1.6 million dollars as a  fine to the government because  misconduct
practiced by these companies in sharing Japanese ODA funds was partly
exposed.

************************

INDEPENDENT LETTER: IMF SUPPORT FOR SLORC

Dear Burma Activists:

I have just received a copy of a press story that appeared recently in the
Japanese press.

According to the story, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) is seriously
considering a package of assistance for the SLORC.  If this assistance is
granted by the IMF, it would greatly improve the SLORC's chances to attract
foreign investment.

Since releasing Aung San Suu Kyi, the SLORC has been working hard to obtain
assistance from the IMF and World Bank. IMF and World Bank officials have
visited Burma in the last few months and have met repeatedly with SLORC
officials.

Ironically, the IMF appears to be giving the SLORC extra consideration for
its release of Aung San Suu Kyi even though she has specifically stated that
nothing has changed in Burma since her release and that governments and
corporations should not "rush" to invest in Burma.

The story names Japan, France, Germany and Switzerland as some of the
countries that support this assistance package. It should be noted that,
although the United States has opposed IMF and World Bank assistance to
Burma in the past, the United States represents only 18% of the vote on the
IMF Board.  Consequently, the IMF could approve the assistance package to
the SLORC over US opposition.

I would suggest that Burma action groups and concerned individuals in Japan,
France, Germany and Switzerland lobby and organize demonstrations against
their government to stop supporting IMF assistance to the SLORC.

The Massachusetts Campaign for a Free Burma will deliver letters of concern
to the Japanese, French, German and Swiss consulates in Boston to protest
this action. We urge other Burma action groups to take similar action.

Please post details of your actions on Burmanet. Please email me directly if
you have any questions or ideas on how to move forward this new aspect of
the campaign for a Free Burma.

Simon Billenness
Massachusetts Campaign for a Free Burma