Euroean Students Joins Burmese Stud

Subject: Euroean Students Joins Burmese Students Struggle

European Students Support Burmese Students Struggle for Democracy

The annual meeting of ESIB- the National Unions of Students=92 in Europe=
 this=20
year was held in Ljubljana, Slovenia from 24 - 29 October, 1995.  The=20
meeting was attended by  58 delegates from 27 National Unions of Students in=
=20
Europe.

The resolution on Burma was sponsored by the National Unions of Students in=
=20
Norway and second by NSU of Switzerland.   The board of ESIB passed the=20
resolution by consensus on 29th October, 1995.

Resolution on Burma adopted by the National Unions of Students In=
 Europe(ESIB)
Ljubljana, Solvenia

The members of the ESIB-The National Unions of Students in Europe would like=
=20
to extend our sympathy and support for the Burmese students who are=20
struggling for democracy in Burma in a very difficult situation.

We are very much concerned about the gross violations of human rights in=20
Burma by the Burmese military junta which seized power in a bloody military=
=20
coup in September 1988.

We are deeply disappointed by the fact that the chairman of the All Burma=20
Federation of Students Union(ABSFU), Min Ko Naing is still being detained in=
=20
a solitary confinment cell for six continious years.  We are also worried=20
for the other Burmese students=EF activists who are being detained in=
 prisons.=20

The lack of academic freedom, lack of freedom of expression and lack of=20
participation of the citizens in the government are something that we cannot=
=20
accept in any country.

We strongly demand the Burmese military junta;=20

- to release all the Burmese students=EF activists including Min Ko Naing=
 and=20
all other political prisoners immediately and unconditionally,=20
- to allow Burmese students to form independent Burmese students unions and
- to go into dialogue with Burmese opposition groups for democratisation=20
process in Burma.

We would also call on the Government of Thailand to treat the Burmese=20
students living inside Thailand according to the international laws and=20
particularly we urge Thai authorities to immediately stop block of the=20
humanitarian assistance given to the members of the All Burma Students=20
Democratic Front along the Thailand-Burma border from international NGOs.

We would like to urge the European Union to increase their support for=20
democracy movements in Burma and impose economic sanction on Burma until=20
after the democratic process.

Finally, we would like to express our full support on Oct 27, National=20
Students Action Day, initiated by the students activists from Universities=
=20
and Colleges in United State in order to terminate foreign investment in=
 Burma.
ESIB
LJ, October 29, 1995

NUSs, Europe Supports  the National Students Action Day on Burma

Ljubljana, October 27, 1995

We, the undersigned participants of the 29th ESIB`s seminar(the National=20
Unions of Students in Europe) held in Ljubljana, Solvenia would like to=20
express our full support on National Students=92 Action Day on Burma,=20
campaigning to halt foreign investment in Burma.

Gross violations of human rights committed by the Burmese military junta=20
also known as the State Law and Order Restoration Council(SLORC) and its=20
refusal to transfer the state power to the National League for=20
Democracy(NLD) which won over 80 of seats in the national parliament during=
=20
the election in May 1990 gave full justification to impose international=20
economic sanction on Burma.

We strongly believe that the foreign investment in Burma, right now, would=
=20
not help Burmese people but would only help the SLORC to grip on power and=
=20
discourage them to start genuine democratisation process in Burma.

We are very much embraced by the fact that the two European countries,=20
France and Britain are among the three top foreign investors in Burma.

We strongly call on European Union to impose economic sanction on Burma and=
=20
all foreign companies investing in Burma to withdraw immediately.

We would again like to express our upmost support on National Students=92=20
Action Day initiated by the students activists from Universities in United=
=20
States and we would like to emphasis that there will be another Students=92=
=20
Action Day throughout Europe if the foreign companies are refused to=20
withdraw their investment from Burma in the near future.

Signed By

Thirty-three leaders of National Students=92 Unions in Europe