IS THE NLD EC BAN OFFICIAL?

IS THE NLD BAN OFFICIAL?

Has anyone seen an OFFICIAL announcement that SLORC rejects the
new NLD Executive Committee line-up?

All the reports I have seen quote an un-named member of the
Election Commission, and statements from the NLD. A 26 October
letter from Myint Thein to the "Bangkok Post", reproduced in
Burmanet News 263, states that "SLORC announced in Rangoon on
October 23rd that Aung San Suu Kyi, leader of the Burmese
democracy movement, will not be permitted to resume her position
as secretary-general of NLD"  but does not say how or where the
announcement was made. If anyone has knows of any official SLORC
statement, please post the information with full text and
location on this and other Burma conferences.

Until there is a public, official SLORC announcement, we have to
assume that SLORC has not committed itself to banning the
reinstatements. We have to assume, further, that it is watching
international and domestic response to the "unofficial"
statement. If the reaction is strong enough, SLORC can easily
distance itself from the "rumour".

The New York diplomats are certainly watching, and if the ban is
official, I would not be surprised to see a couple of strong
paragraphs on the subject in the forthcoming GA resolution. In
the meantime, it would do no harm if people asked their
governments to (1) enquire of SLORC whether there is any
substance to the reports, and (2) make strong protests if there
is.

David Arnott