No Repatriation for Burmese Refugee (r)

Subject: Re: No Repatriation for Burmese Refugees.

On 23 Oct 1995 u941659@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> From: "Aye / Myo (COM)" <u941659@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: No Repatriation for Burmese Refugees.
>

> Mr Ne Oo,
> 		I have read your message about repatriation of Burmese
> refugees from Thailand and Australia. I have to ask you first  Are you
> sure a refugee?, Have you been in Thailand like Burmese refugees?, Did
> you participate in pro-democracy movement in Burma in 1988 and How did
> you get your refugee status in Australia? I think you should answer these
> questions first and then go back to Burma like Rohingya refugees through
> Bangladesh.

        Dear Myo/Aye:

        Thank you for your comments and Yes! I truly have refugee status
        granted by the Australian government. I applied asylum from
        Australia in May 1992 and was granted in July 1993. After
        getting the refugee status in Australia, I, for simple reason of
        not wishing to be remained in Australia, have not applied
        permanent residency or citizenship from Australian
        government. Therefore I am still in the refugee status.

        "To go back to Burma like Rohingya" is, in a strict technical
        definition, what I have been requesting from the Government of
        Australia. Please note that the UN Definition of refugee is very
        broad in a sense: anyone who "unable to return to Burma" because
        of their "well founded fear of persecution by the Burmese
        Authorities" can be considered as "Burmese refugee". In this
        context, those Rohingyas who fled from violent and persecution
        are indifferent to those Burmese political exiles in Thailand,
        and those of Karens and Mons - the displaced ethnic minorities
        of Burma. Under this broad definition of refugees, I do not see
        myself differently from those of Rohingyas in Bangladesh and
        therefore I should be qualified to "go back to Burma like
        Rohingyas". Please help to this cause by writing to
        Australian Government to sign a Memorandam of Understanding
        with the UNHCR.

        Please also note that the Burmese students who came to Australia
        under special humanitarian program are not being classified as
        "Burmese refugees in Australia". The MOU must also exclude
        Burmese asylum-seekers in Australia. The MOU is promoted
        specifically for people who have refugee status and who will
        "volunteer" to go back to Burma. Those Burmese refugees who
        wishing to be remained in Australia permanently should ask the
        permanent residency or citizenship from the Department of
        Immigration and Ethnic Affairs immediately.

        All the best. Yours sincerely, U Ne Oo.