Evil tourism

Greetings Burmanet subscribers:

I recently heard about a Myanmar tour sponsored by Abercrombie & Kent.
However, I do not have exact details as yet. If this is the case, this is
just the type of tour SLORC wants to celebrate 'Visit Myanmar Year'. If you
ask me, this whole 'Visit X Year' is hogwash and more than one Asian
government has been culpable of similar practices - moving indigenous tribes
into 'native villages' for tourists to gawk at, pushing eyesore squatter
areas over with bulldozers, etc.

I hope everyone on this list will put some hard questions to tour operators
who choose to visit Burma in this turbulent and sensitive period. Abercrombie
& Kent can be reached at 1-800-323-7308.

Gary Crosse