Correction (r)

--=====================_812478019==_

September 27, 1995

CLARIFYING SINGAPORE'S SECURITY LAWS

I would like to correct an error of fact that crept into my Guest
Forum article.  "Exposing the  dirty secret' of Asian values"
(Sept. 18) My attempt to correct the article before publication
was too late.

In the eighth paragraph, in describing Singapore's Internal
Security Act, I incorrectly stated that "Tay does not mention
that this ordinance can be used because Singapore has
maintained, for 26 years, the state of emergency declared
during the 1969 intercommunal riots."

The Singaporean Internal Security Act does not require the
declaration of an emergency, but can be employed at any time.
The ISA grants the minister of home affairs broad discretion to
order up to two years detention WITHOUT CHARGES if the
president determines that a person poses a threat to national
security.  There is no judicial review of the detention, which
can be renewed every two years, without limit.

My point, that the Singaporean ISA violates international
human rights standards, and that Singapore should be required
to explain why it rejects the international standards, is
unaffected.

I regret the error and apologize to Japan Times readers for any
confusion.

John J. Tobin
Sakai, Osaka