ABSDF STATEMENT ON U.S. SENATE APPR

Subject: ABSDF STATEMENT ON U.S. SENATE APPROVAL OF SANCTIONS AGAINST SLORC

                  ALL BURMA STUDENTS' DEMOCRATIC FRONT

                  STATEMENT ON U.S. SENATE APPROVAL OF
                  -------------------------------------
                         SANCTIONS AGAINST SLORC
                         -----------------------

                                                 Date: September 24, 1995

The ABSDF warmly welcomes the United States Senate's approval of
tough sanctions against Burma to ban all U.S trade with,
investment in, and travel to Burma.

We, the ABSDF respectfully congratulate Senator Mitch McConnell,
a Republican from Kentucky and chairman of a key funding panel,
who sponsored the sanctions amendment to the 1996 foreign aid
bill, which was approved by the Senate by an overwhelming 91 to
nine on September 21.

At present in Burma, there has been no new development following
the release of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi, Nobel Peace laureate and the
democracy leader of Burma. Approximately, 3,000 political
prisoners are still detained and the Slorc military regime still
intends to reconvene its sham National Convention.

In addition, there has been no response by the Slorc to an offer
by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi to make dialogue for national
reconciliation and internal peace.

It is a crucial time for democratization in Burma and we firmly
believe that the international community must take further action
against the military regime which rules the country against the
will of the people.

We highly appreciate the support of the United States for
democratization and human rights in Burma.

On behalf of the people of Burma, we the ABSDF appeal to the
President of the United States to pass the bill and  implement
effective economic sanctions against Burma until the goal of
democracy in Burma has been achieved.

Central Leading Committee
ABSDF
8888 camps