NCGUB on Daw Suu's Statement at UN

Subject:       NCGUB on Daw Suu's Statement at UN Women's Conf

NATIONAL  COALITION  GOVERNMENT  OF  THE  UNION  OF  BURMA
 I  N  F  O  R  M  A  T  I  O  N         O  F  F  I  C  E

815 Fifteenth Street, NW, Suite 910, Washington, DC 20005
Tel: (202) 393-7342   (202) 393-4312,  Fax: (202) 393-7343

Statement On Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's Address
to the NGO Forum at UN Women's Conference in Beijing

(September 5, 1995)

The National Coalition Government of the Union of Burma welcomes the
international response to the address made by Daw Aung San Suu Kyi to the
United Nations Women's Conference in China. We look forward to the time
when women in Burma, and the rest of the world, will be able to
participate as equals in all spheres, especially in the governing of
their own countries.

In Burma, as in many traditional societies, there are fundamental
inequalities in the condition of women that need to be addressed.  But as
the situation in Burma also shows, it is difficult if not impossible to
make progress in resolving these societal inequities without a free and
democratic government.   As our cause for democracy is inseparably linked
to the cause of equality that the groups meeting in China are pursuing,
so must our efforts be linked.

We call attention to the threatening tone of General Khin Nyunt's warning
to those he says are fabricating and disseminating news that women in the
Western and European Nations are enjoying rights but those in Asian and
African nations are not. While the rights of no one in Burma are safe
under the current regime, it must be noted that  women are especially
vulnerable and often experience even greater abuses than men.  It is
because of this background of violence against women in Burma that Daw
Suu's call for equality and security is especially courageous.

In Burma, it is only the vigilance of the international community that
now stands between those, who would use violence both in the home and in
the streets, and the people. We call on the international community to
maintain that vigilance to help protect the security of all the women of
Burma, particularly that of Daw Aung San Suu Kyi who, because of her
calls for democracy and dialogue for national reconciliation, is seen as
a threat by the military regime.

					oo0oo